The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
new mac + protools hd3 pci options?
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

new mac + protools hd3 pci options?

can someone please tell me the options for upgrading my old g5 to a new intel mac whilst keeping my old protools hd PCI cards.

i have a Magma PCI4DRQ and it is not stable.

is the magma PE64R the only option? or are there other stable alternatives? I need to get into intel chips so i can have more grunt and be able to run intel only plugins.

cheers steve
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

I did the same switch last year and the only conclusive evidence I found pointed to the PE6R4. I made the switch successfully and even bought a couple extra accel cards (pci versions are getting nice 'n cheap). I'm very happy, PT is running without a glitch and I still have $ in my savings
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Or build a PC and go that route. Lots of folks over at the DUC taking that route....This coming from a diehard Mac guy, but lets face it, if its just for recording. PC is the way to go HD these days. So cheap it's crazy. Anybody can have an HD system today.
Old 9th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Light View Post
I did the same switch last year and the only conclusive evidence I found pointed to the PE6R4. I made the switch successfully and even bought a couple extra accel cards (pci versions are getting nice 'n cheap). I'm very happy, PT is running without a glitch and I still have $ in my savings
PE6R4 is the only approved option. If you choose anything else, you're on your own!
Old 5th October 2011
Gear Maniac

latency with magma chassis

Thinking about going with the expansion chassis for older hd pcix cards. Several people have said there are some latency issues. Please discuss before I pull the trigger.
Old 6th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Latency with magma chassis

Bump- anyone have any comments on this?
Old 7th October 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARRYROSE View Post
Thinking about going with the expansion chassis for older hd pcix cards. Several people have said there are some latency issues. Please discuss before I pull the trigger.
No more than without the chassis. I didn't hear anything about latency issues when I was researching it. They do have a very specific way to install the cards and there WILL be problems if you don't follow the directions properly (like myself). Easily cleared up with a phone call. Magma has a good customer service dept

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search