The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How Do I Setup/Configure a PC to Run Like a Mac
Old 24th September 2011
  #211
Lives for gear
 
valis's Avatar
As for viruses and 'PCs', one statistic that may not be clarified with the online scanner sites is whether those scans are actually *unique* machines. MS will have that data but a web based scanner that launches via java or etc may not, and even if it does save data to a drive to identify a given machine a lot of utilities will clean that data up (as would a reinstall of a cracked OS which subsequently gets reinfected).

In fact that last point is noteworthy, over the last decade there's a relatively large number of 'self builds' and older machines which shipped without XP and subsequently had an unlicensed version of the OS installed. The same thing applies to Vista & Win7 in lesser numbers, but the process is slightly more difficult since they require activation 'tricks'...XP will remain unactivated and thus typically unpatched. While I would think most GS'ers are probably out of this category these days, it's worth considering comparisons between the ease of catching malware on an unpatched 'cracked' XP system (unpatched due to not knowing how to bypass WGA) and Hackintosh systems.

This of course also ignores the fact that until MS defaulted updates to automatic, machines came sans firewall and sans automatic updates. There's *still* a population of these machines out there as their users never updated to sp2/3! So there's no clean statistics on these things and many factors to consider imo.
Old 24th September 2011
  #212
Lives for gear
I built a $503 dollar i5 quad plus bought a Hp dv7 4284dv its a 17.3 laptop with a I 5 as well.

That being said there's more to Apple then the OS and performance IMHO.

It's a quality product take it or leave it,but ill never build a $2,000 dollar pc.

Macs have a soul to them I can't explain it....

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 24th September 2011
  #213
Lives for gear
 
zephonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGJAY View Post

That being said there's more to Apple then the OS and performance IMHO.

Macs have a soul to them I can't explain it....
Yup. Macs are more than just the sum of their parts.


I have owned and worked with many Windows machines all the way from W95 right up to Vista64 (on the Asus laptop I'm using to type this right now). I haven't had a lot of problems with malware/bloatware, but I have consistently run into inexplicable annoyances with just about every PC I've had my hands on.

For example, on this laptop Firefox was working fine. Then out of the blue it could no longer connect to the net, just like that. Everything else could (mail client, Skype etc.) though. I finally figured out it was some unfriendly AV software that blocked Firefox' access, but they peacefully co-existed on the same machine before, so I'll be damned if I know why it changed. Now I have to switch off the AVS if I want to use FF. Chrome or any other online apps, no prob.

Another example, an external hdd no longer mounts. Nothing has changed, no idea why. Same drive, same computer, working fine yesterday, not working today. Go figure.

I could go on, but I don't mean to turn this into a Windows hate fest, in fact there ARE things that I like better: the customizability, mostly. And I really want to build a new PC later this year just to see if Cubase indeed runs that much better on Win7.

But it'll have to be dang good to trump my Macs' reliability and OSX' generally stress-free environment.

You don't have to explain to me that Apple uses the same components as everybody else; how they make them work together is what makes the difference. They really know how to put a computer together.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: my bootcamped iMac is the best WindowsPC I have ever had!
Old 24th September 2011
  #214
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
Yes, of course, it's all about what you "feel", not facts that you can actually quantify or qualify...
Old 24th September 2011
  #215
Lives for gear
 
zephonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
Yes, of course, it's all about what you "feel", not facts that you can actually quantify or qualify...
Whatever, man. I'm a musician. I'm all for reason, but ultimately I listen to the soul. It just sounds better that way.
Old 24th September 2011
  #216
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
Whatever, man. I'm a musician. I'm all for reason, but ultimately I listen to the soul. It just sounds better that way.
OK, so the mac "sounds better" than the PC, even though the actual sound comes from your audio interface. You just proved my point.
Old 24th September 2011
  #217
Lives for gear
 
zephonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
OK, so the mac "sounds better" than the PC, even though the actual sound comes from your audio interface. You just proved my point.
Tsk tsk. You're not reading my post correctly. I said: "I listen to the soul. It sounds better that way." I did not say Macs sound better.

But go ahead and twist my words to assert the superiority of your rationale.

What was your point again?
Old 24th September 2011
  #218
Lives for gear
 
valis's Avatar
He's a PC believer, you're a Mac believer, and the two of you are fighting over the 'soul' of the unbelievers?



I tend to have similar amounts of 'like' and 'gripe' with both my Macs and my PC's. It might be for different reasons in the case of each but having used both for decades now it's hard to justify belief in either, at least for me. Call me platform agnostic if you must...

Btw another thing re: malware/viruses, a HUGE portion of flagged virii that I see on people's machines are just keygens/cracks. While I won't muse on how reliable things are that are gained from random sources that your typical user uses, that definately contributes to the statistics though not to the same % that cookies will (and I do understand why AV companies would distrust cracks/keygens anyway). But as a corrolary to this my experience is that even the people who can afford to buy things on Mac use a large number of cracks too... I see a lot of 'electronica' djs and 'producers' who use cracked Ableton Live or 'this copy of Logic came with my laptop when I bought it from *****'. (insert name brand producer who was also using the same 'loaned' copy).

Ie, I haven't seen that the average (non-pro user) avoids cracks any more on Mac than they would have on PC.
Old 24th September 2011
  #219
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
Yup. Macs are more than just the sum of their parts.




For example, on this laptop Firefox was working fine. Then out of the blue it could no longer connect to the net, just like that. Everything else could (mail client, Skype etc.) though. I finally figured out it was some unfriendly AV software that blocked Firefox' access, but they peacefully co-existed on the same machine before, so I'll be damned if I know why it changed. Now I have to switch off the AVS if I want to use FF. Chrome or any other online apps, no prob.

Another example, an external hdd no longer mounts. Nothing has changed, no idea why. Same drive, same computer, working fine yesterday, not working today. Go figure.


You don't have to explain to me that Apple uses the same components as everybody else; how they make them work together is what makes the difference. They really know how to put a computer together.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: my bootcamped iMac is the best WindowsPC I have ever had!
Wow,but yea windows registry gets screwed up easily.

I bought my imac in 08 never turned it off never turned the internet off never had one tune up, issue or sneeze out of this $1,199 Apple plus its value is around $700.

No 5 year old pc is worth that much.(its true)

I did a neilson sound scan search on my girl Dell,clicked the wrong link and boom,brung windows 7 to its knees.

Though I love windows 7,since I got the new 17 HP I install a video game (fallout new Vegas)on since it has a i5 and great video card.

I have so many programs running now its a Damn shame,that game installed so many things on my HP I'm thinking about restoring it to original state.

My mbp will remain as my work horse and my HP is my toy that I play with.as I said before this 1k pc has no firewire 400 or 800 while a 1,199 13 inch mbp does.

If I only could afford one laptop it would be MAC,if I didn't have to go on location and I were on a low budget the mac mini comes with i5's now.

Id buy a 24 inch screen to go with either MAC and "AVOID" trying to make a pc into a MAC.
SAME PARTS OR WHATEVER...

my main daw is on my built i5 2500k I have 2 uad 1s' and 2 uad 2s' in it.its never going on the net and my clients never notice or ask about it LOL,I CAN'T say that about my apples HONESTLY!


Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 24th September 2011
  #220
Lives for gear
 
zephonic's Avatar
@Valis: nah man, there's no warez on my PC. It behaves inexplicably all by itself.

There was a time when I used warez. Not anymore.
Old 24th September 2011
  #221
hello, I'm a mac user... but my music machine is a PC, custom built by PC Audio Labs and it rocks.
http://pcaudiolabs.com/

in all my years I've never worked faster or more productively than on my PC with Sonar.

I've had two turn key PT TDM systems. I've used Vision, Cubase, Logic, you name it...

I have a lot of friends using Logic. I have Logic on three of my Macs.

I have a lot of friends using ProTools. I have ProTools on two of my Macs.

I do a fair amount of video editing. I use Final Cut Pro on a Mac Pro Tower.

I have an iMac in our home office, it's awesome.

My wife and I both have Mac Book Pro's.

My wife and I both have iphone's.

My wife has an Ipad2.

My music machine is a PC.

jus sayin'...
Old 24th September 2011
  #222
Lives for gear
 
inthere's Avatar
 

I used to be a Dell man. Things would physically fall off the laptops yearly. I travel a lot. Things would fall off the desktops too. I'm just rough on computers.

I put together 3 powerhouse PC's. Held up a little better but something would happen with a broken screw when changing a graphics card or whatever and something would just hang there at a crooked angle. working yeah, but damnnnnnnn. Building your PC sounds like a cheap, glamorous solution, but not everyone is gifted at it.

I went Mac in 2004 and the G5 I got then is still working perfectly with nothing broken and in perfect cosmetic condition and that's 3 years from me and almost 4 years with the present owner. Friends line up to buy my old Macs from me and I guarantee I'm not the safest guy to buy a computer from.

But Macs are just well built machines. My old PC's i couldn't sell, Macs always pleasantly surprise you with their resale value. I sold a 4 year old 17" Macbook Pro this year for $1250 and bought a new 2011 Macbook Pro 13 inch for $999. I wanted a smaller computer because I travel so much. May not seem like a big deal to most guys but selling an old computer and putting $250 in your pocket after buying new one is pretty cool. Good luck selling any 4 year old PC for more than $500, I don't care what it is.

So yeah, you get a PC now that you put together for cheap and you're laughing, but good luck selling it. Macs you can get at least 70% of your money back after a year and not much less than that after 2 years if you want to upgrade, so after your initial investment, you'll get your 2nd mac for $200-700.

And sooooooooo many people want to buy 2nd hand Macs it's just sick. My GF sold 2 MacBooks and wasn't even trying. The 2nd one she was in the doctor's office and casually mentioned she was buying a new Mac. "What are you doing with the old one?" is what you always get asked.
Old 24th September 2011
  #223
Lives for gear
 
valis's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
@Valis: nah man, there's no warez on my PC. It behaves inexplicably all by itself.

There was a time when I used warez. Not anymore.
I don't think you understood what I was saying, I was just giving more examples of things that AV scanners flag as malware. No idea why you thought I was saying you had warez....

I was however also drawing comparisons between warez, malware and unpatched 'cracked' operating systems too, something I'm seeing more of in the 'hackintosh' scene too. And I went further and shared what I've seen with Mac 'borroware' in general, a huge portion of macbook pro owners I've seen in the young 20's crowd run a ton of cracked software on their macs. That certainly doesn't apply to anyone specific here and it's purely anecdotal so who know what portion of the overall userbase it applies to.
Old 24th September 2011
  #224
Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
I don't think you understood what I was saying, I was just giving more examples of things that AV scanners flag as malware. No idea why you thought I was saying you had warez....

I was however also drawing comparisons between warez, malware and unpatched 'cracked' operating systems too, something I'm seeing more of in the 'hackintosh' scene too. And I went further and shared what I've seen with Mac 'borroware' in general, a huge portion of macbook pro owners I've seen in the young 20's crowd run a ton of cracked software on their macs. That certainly doesn't apply to anyone specific here and it's purely anecdotal so who know what portion of the overall userbase it applies to.
I think in general you are going to see a lot more "borroware" from people in their 20's without jobs than you will from those who are working and more mature.
Old 24th September 2011
  #225
Lives for gear
 
zephonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post

I have an iMac in our home office, it's awesome.

My wife and I both have Mac Book Pro's.

My wife and I both have iphone's.

My wife has an Ipad2.

My music machine is a PC.
I can see myself going there.
Old 24th September 2011
  #226
Gear Nut
 

Apple annoys the hell out of me with their aesthetic based business model and restrictive and hassling functionality.
Old 24th September 2011
  #227
Lives for gear
 
valis's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
I think in general you are going to see a lot more "borroware" from people in their 20's without jobs than you will from those who are working and more mature.
Well funny because most of the people I'm thinking of have incomes either via their parents (who give allowances along with their scholastic funding) or via jobs. Anyway I'm not making any moral judgements but some people have mused that Mac is some ivory tower of moral and technological purity...and I see similar behaviors on both platforms and those similarities extend now to the hackintosh scene too...just noting it for whatever its worth. Also a fair amount of the audio 'borrowware' I see comes from established players in the electronic/dance music scene and is handed down to those early/mid 20's users so...
Old 24th September 2011
  #228
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGJAY View Post
Wow,but yea windows registry gets screwed up easily.

I bought my imac in 08 never turned it off never turned the internet off never had one tune up, issue or sneeze out of this $1,199 Apple plus its value is around $700.

No 5 year old pc is worth that much.(its true)

I did a neilson sound scan search on my girl Dell,clicked the wrong link and boom,brung windows 7 to its knees.

Though I love windows 7,since I got the new 17 HP I install a video game (fallout new Vegas)on since it has a i5 and great video card.

I have so many programs running now its a Damn shame,that game installed so many things on my HP I'm thinking about restoring it to original state.

My mbp will remain as my work horse and my HP is my toy that I play with.as I said before this 1k pc has no firewire 400 or 800 while a 1,199 13 inch mbp does.

If I only could afford one laptop it would be MAC,if I didn't have to go on location and I were on a low budget the mac mini comes with i5's now.

Id buy a 24 inch screen to go with either MAC and "AVOID" trying to make a pc into a MAC.
SAME PARTS OR WHATEVER...

my main daw is on my built i5 2500k I have 2 uad 1s' and 2 uad 2s' in it.its never going on the net and my clients never notice or ask about it LOL,I CAN'T say that about my apples HONESTLY!


Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
This is why I will not install a video game on my new computer. They usually come with spyware/malware, which you either won't know was installed, or just can't uninstall.
Old 24th September 2011
  #229
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
He's a PC believer
No, I'm not a PC believer, I believe in the best and most cost-effective tools for my job. I built three i7 2600k machines with a total of 48 gigs of ram, working through Vienna Ensemble Pro. I used the best components and my machines aren't any less well-built than mac pros. I need that much raw power because I do a lot of orchestral mockups. A comparable system based on macs not only would cost me well over $10k, but it would also be a lot less flexible. I don't care about the "aesthetics" and the "feel" of my computers any more than my power drill's.

I think mac fanboys are incredibly annoying, but that doesn't mean I hate macs. Until three years ago, my studio had seen nothing but macs. The advent of 64-bit computing coupled with a much higher stability of the windows platform is what changed the game and convinced me to switch.
Old 25th September 2011
  #230
Lives for gear
Your post are bias but I agree.somewhat!

If my studio caught fire,the macs are on the must save list among other things.

Pc will burn in hell, shoot ill take my $60 hard drive backs before I grab that pc LOL.

They are powerful and very usable,I think because I had so many EARLY pc problems,I'm forever scared!

God bless the unblemished pc power user.I can't I just cant(im crying) ease the pain lord help me!

Pray for me papi!

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 25th September 2011
  #231
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tl32 View Post
This is why I will not install a video game on my new computer. They usually come with spyware/malware, which you either won't know was installed, or just can't uninstall.
I'm learning(boo who!STILL CRYING).

WHY WON'T THESE PC PAINS STOP!

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 25th September 2011
  #232
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGJAY View Post
I'm learning(boo who!STILL CRYING).

WHY WON'T THESE PC PAINS STOP!

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
It's not just for PC.

Bioshock installs rootkit... - MacRumors Forums
Old 25th September 2011
  #233
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tl32 View Post
EXHALE !

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 25th September 2011
  #234
Quote:
Originally Posted by tl32 View Post
I think we can stop worrying about that 2007 rumor. heh


FWIW, I burnt out on games in the 90s, pretty much... I was fascinated by the technology but from Quake on they gave me motion sickness and claustrophobia. The last few times I started to play, I felt real physical reactions. I decided fun shouldn't be so unenjoyable.

There's one exception, some giveaway WWII first person aviation shooter (from Disney, I think.) The graphics aren't bad and I've always had a thing for WWII aircraft. But it's a bad software citizen. When I installed it the first time, it installed a bunch of crap that loads at boot and sucks down something like 60 or 70 MB. That's before you even load the game -- and it stays running after you unload it. I uninstalled it and used Windows Restore to return my machine to its original state.

I kept the disk though, and every once in a great while (it's been a couple years now), I'll set a restore point, install it. Play it for a half hour or so (until I get tired of dive-bombing my own side's ships and bases -- I don't know why I find that so compelling, I certainly wasn't on Tojo's side in WWII) and then uninstall it and do a system restore to remove the traces. It's moderately annoying. heh


I carefully watch any software I think is going to try to install crap that will load at boot or that stays loaded after the app runs. I simply don't allow it. (I've violated that on one of my laptops so I can run iTunes, which I need to do to submit podcasts. But it's made that machine sluggish and barely usable for anything but iTunes -- which I have no other interest in as I'm a stream subscriber. Friends tell me iTunes for the Mac runs better.)
Old 25th September 2011
  #235
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
coupled with a much higher stability of the windows platform is what changed the game and convinced me to switch.
I wouldn't go that far... each platform has it's own issues, and you'd best know how to deal with each to remain productive.
Old 25th September 2011
  #236
Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
Well funny because most of the people I'm thinking of have incomes either via their parents (who give allowances along with their scholastic funding) or via jobs. Anyway I'm not making any moral judgements but some people have mused that Mac is some ivory tower of moral and technological purity...and I see similar behaviors on both platforms and those similarities extend now to the hackintosh scene too...just noting it for whatever its worth. Also a fair amount of the audio 'borrowware' I see comes from established players in the electronic/dance music scene and is handed down to those early/mid 20's users so...
I don't see more or less pirated software on either platform. I see more or less pirated software installed usually by age and income strata. Truth is, as people become more successful it's just easier to buy software than steal it. It's also hard to be respected driving a bmw and using cracks, but hey, I guess people do it.

I'm moving farther and farther away from plugins anyway - to much of a PITA. A few well selected instruments and effects and I'm solid. I'm migrating software right now through a major machine upgrade and some stuff I just won't be bothered to transfer.

seriously, how many plugin compressors do you need? how many amp sims? how many sample players?
Old 25th September 2011
  #237
Lives for gear
 
valis's Avatar
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
I wouldn't go that far... each platform has it's own issues, and you'd best know how to deal with each to remain productive.
Agreed, the person that seemed deathly afraid of the registry has obviously never dealt with editing the boms under 10.5 or installation/prefs/plists and tricking 10.6 into reapplying a Pro Kit update or etc (as a recent poster on these forums had to do after migrating from 10.5 and finding Logic crashing constantly on save). Imo neither is terribly difficult as google & Apple/MS/3rd party support tends to be good at documenting known issues and processes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
I don't see more or less pirated software on either platform. I see more or less pirated software installed usually by age and income strata. Truth is, as people become more successful it's just easier to buy software than steal it. It's also hard to be respected driving a bmw and using cracks, but hey, I guess people do it.
I don't see a 'lot' of cracked software, but I was clarifying that the same habits that can lead to 'false positives' for virii on Windows (cracks/keygens) exist to some degree on the Mac side too. In fact I extended that to using the OS in ways that the creating company didn't necessarily intend (cracked Xp/Vista/Win7 & hackintosh parallels...).

As for cracks/warez, unfortunately I don't necessarily see this follow any income trends in my anecdotal experience, I would warrant that the reason for it in the cases I see is more cultural than income-distribution based. Not that it matters to me really, but I offered it up since it stands as counterpoint for my discussion on where a lot of the 'infected' Windows machines I've seen over the years come from. And fwiw I know people who are happy with their Macs because they don't 'have to worry about poker sites and porn as much...' which I find ironic in light of the recent headlines over a certain poker site not having a large enough of a % on hand to actually pay players out. The people I'm thinking of here used to own Windows laptops that I had to fix due to their bad habits...and I've had to do the same with their Macs. Judicious and thoughtful behavior will work out well regardless of what OS you're running imo, and careless acts can bugger up any machine (or bank account lol) just as quickly.
Old 25th September 2011
  #238
Lives for gear
 
stratology's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
I agree with the statement, but not with the linked article. What he calls 'feel' I would call 'attention to detail'. I think this is the main thing that sets Mac users and PC users apart. It also means that Mac users are the harshest Mac critics.


Example: When you want to search bookmarks in Safari, you hit cmd-opt-b and start typing. In the latest release of Safari, when you hit cmd-opt-b, the cursor does not move to the search box automatically, it remains in the address bar. Totally f'ed up. You have to click into the search box to type.
Even if you don't actively notice things like that, the computer will 'feel' slower.

(This is just one example, I could come up with lots more...).



Someone mentioned gaming: if you're into that, a PC is the better option.
Old 25th September 2011
  #239
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
Agreed, the person that seemed deathly afraid of the registry has obviously never dealt with editing the boms under 10.5 or installation/prefs/plists and tricking 10.6 into reapplying a Pro Kit update or etc (as a recent poster on these forums had to do after migrating from 10.5 and finding Logic crashing constantly on save). Imo neither is terribly difficult as google & Apple/MS/3rd party support tends to be good at documenting known issues and processes.


I don't see a 'lot' of cracked software, but I was clarifying that the same habits that can lead to 'false positives' for virii on Windows (cracks/keygens) exist to some degree on the Mac side too. In fact I extended that to using the OS in ways that the creating company didn't necessarily intend (cracked Xp/Vista/Win7 & hackintosh parallels...).

As for cracks/warez, unfortunately I don't necessarily see this follow any income trends in my anecdotal experience, I would warrant that the reason for it in the cases I see is more cultural than income-distribution based. Not that it matters to me really, but I offered it up since it stands as counterpoint for my discussion on where a lot of the 'infected' Windows machines I've seen over the years come from. And fwiw I know people who are happy with their Macs because they don't 'have to worry about poker sites and porn as much...' which I find ironic in light of the recent headlines over a certain poker site not having a large enough of a % on hand to actually pay players out. The people I'm thinking of here used to own Windows laptops that I had to fix due to their bad habits...and I've had to do the same with their Macs. Judicious and thoughtful behavior will work out well regardless of what OS you're running imo, and careless acts can bugger up any machine (or bank account lol) just as quickly.
Well I've learned something from your obviously well spoken words!really!

I repair computers as well as update them and I had a issue with a dell laptop with amd 64 bit chips(dual core).

I found it convenient to use my windows loader when to authorize the machine,why because I don't hook those computers to MY net they come from EVERYWHERE.

At any rate when I would use the loader the would then take over 5 minutes to boot(that's a ling time).

After restoring it twice only to find the delay was in fact caused by the loader.

I restored it again using the product key on the bottom and it booted in around 1 minute.

So valis I can verify his entry,I'm just learning this and his words prove it to be true....

I never had a 10.5 or 6 problem,I don't know if you were referring to me?
Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 25th September 2011
  #240
Lives for gear
 
valis's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGJAY View Post
I never had a 10.5 or 6 problem,I don't know if you were referring to me?
No, I was specifically thinking of this thread: Help! Logic crashes on bounce, save as in Snow Leopard.

But there's plenty of other examples of things that people come here to resolve with OSX (like the "Disk too slow" issues or the FireWire Audio Heat Problem) and Windows both, or else this forum would only be called "Music Computer SOFTWARE" (or maybe in some people's minds "Fix my busted ass Windows s*** since I can't afford a Mac").

Also if you want to keep Windows machines you're fixing off your net just create a separate subnet for them and use a netmask to keep them isolated. I actually do this here, I use an older (second) router for Wireless G devices (wife's Nintendo Wii, netbooks and guests visiting) and have it on its own subnet with even that router unable to 'see' anything but it's gateway due to a subnet mask and completely independant ip address range. Since it also runs NAT translation anything using it will again have a separate ip address space, and if some kind of malware manages to 'poke through' to the other side of that secondary router the netmask and ip address range changes should mean it can only see the gateway. Never had an issue, and I've even left it as an open wireless endpoint for the neighbors at times when they transitioned between providers (ie, a few days at a time).

Also fwiw whether it's a linux, Windows or Mac OS, I give guests (and my wife) limited accounts to use on any machine they have access to, mostly so that I don't ever have to blame anyone but myself for anything that happens to the machines under my control.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump