The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The small print..."initial Thunderbolt implementations"
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

The small print..."initial Thunderbolt implementations"

I just now noticed this for the first time. Anyone else pick up on the fact that thunderbolt in its current state is on copper and the "real" implementation (or later if you will) will be optical?

I think I even picked up info somewhere or other that the original name "lightpeak" may still be the "real" name once the optical implementation is released ... which also will work with usb 3 seamlessly at that time... for the first time.

Just asking. I don't really like "initial implimentations" of stuff. Those seem to become the fastest to hit obsoleteland in terms of being able to find periperhals 3years down the road.

I thought Thunderbolt was in its for-sure and final circuitry design the way it is now.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

I believe I read somewhere that the copper implementation has been used because it can carry power (voltage); the optical can not.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

The 'lightpeak' name has been floating around, too, probably longer than thunderbolt. Maybe they plan a similar path as the old SANs... fibre or fiber delineated if the connection was copper or optical, with both being possible solutions depending upon your needs.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

The new Sony laptops have 'Lightpeak' not sure if its a different connector though

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search