The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slate Trigger Utility Plugins
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

Slate Trigger

Who has it? Is it was better than drumagog? Im thinking of purchasing it and would like to know what ppl think. Not to much info around yet.

Sent from my Vortex using Gearslutz.com App
Old 8th September 2011
It destroys Drumagog and pretty much anything else for sound replacement (especially drums) that I've ever tried. Well worth every penny.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
It destroys Drumagog and pretty much anything else for sound replacement (especially drums) that I've ever tried. Well worth every penny.
Awesome! That's what i needed to hear. I'm placing my order tomorrow.

Sent from my Vortex using Gearslutz.com App
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Addict

Yeah, definatly better then drumagog. Buy it. You will not be disapointed.
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
It destroys Drumagog and pretty much anything else for sound replacement (especially drums) that I've ever tried.
Why?
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Addict

It tracks/triggers really well, pretty much flawlessly. No problems dialling in the sensitivity and the samples sound great - both the drum sounds and the dynamic variation. The best I've used, recommended.
Old 8th September 2011
It tracks very well and is also quite dynamic. I am not all that wild about the sounds though. They seem to work for a lot of people however.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Guru

used gog for years and loved it.
got Trigger a few months ago.
hands down,it's the ****.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Trigger can handle 300bpm gravity blast beats and stay accurate. Nothing else I've tried other than tab to transient even comes close.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Addict

Do it man spend your cash!!!
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Everything that was sadi and then some!!!
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

It is damn sweet.

I used to not sample replace unless I had to. Soundreplacer was a nightmare and drumagog always seemed to clip internally.

Trigger just works. Samples sound great. Tracking is almost flawless.

Lately I've been running room mic samples instead of snare or Tom verb.
Old 9th September 2011
I have both Trigger and DAG5. Both have strengths, but Trigger is my go to. Wish it was easier to use your own samples, though.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

I am loving Trigger, especially being able to sidechain other drums into it to kill any unwanted bleed - works great

the built in mixer system is perfect for crafting new sounds etc....well worth it IMHO.

Good luck - cheers
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:

Thanks for all the feedback! I have yet to buy it, but I downloaded the demo and all I have to say is ***************** so yeah its sweet! It took 5 minutes to set up a kick and snare with the demo and have them sound way better and more accurate than dgog. Sometimes with dgog it can take a few hours to get a technical snare part to sound fairly decent. With trigger it took 5 minutes and it sounded great!

You will hear from me tomorrow cuz it's PAYDAY!

Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Is it available in a boxed version or is it only available by download?
I don't really like to buy a software with no box and no dvd, it kindda sucks to have to burn a DVD-R of a 300$ software. The platinum version is the one that I'd like to get.
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post
Is it available in a boxed version or is it only available by download?
I don't really like to buy a software with no box and no dvd, it kindda sucks to have to burn a DVD-R of a 300$ software. The platinum version is the one that I'd like to get.
Sorry but... get used to it. Logic Pro X is coming by App Store. I think all software will within a few years. What makes you want the box so bad? It annoys me personally, I have to get up early and sit at home waiting for the UPS man to come, just so I can stick the DVD in my machine and rip all the data off it anyway, when I could just get that data through my phone line and whatever time of day I want.

Answer - yes Slate can send you it 'boxed' but it's just a DVD case with a card sleeve and a printed disc. Nothing special. But like I said, this is the modern day, you no longer heat your house from the fire, you no longer write day to day mail with a fountain pen... get used to this concept that data is taking over physical mediums.

If it makes you happy you could always back it up to DVD, print the PDF manual off and stick it all in an empty cereal box.
Old 28th September 2011
Gear Head

Trigger is great, don't know of a better replacer. I'm ok with the drum sounds.
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've had success using the bundled Instrument Editor. Every session, I have the drummer hit each drum several times, at a variety of dynamic levels. I then edit down the best hits and alternate hits for each planned velocity. I create "close" and "room" samples for each hit and alternate hit, and load them into the easy to use Instrument Editor.

The editor allows you to essentially create as many different velocity zones as you wish, assigning as many as 128 "alternate hits" for each velocity zone. The vertical columns represent different samples and their user-definable velocity zones, while the horizontal rows represent the alternate hits.

I have done this for quite a few drumkits, and I must say that making your own TCI's is fun and pretty straightforward, IME. I think the UI of the Editor is extremely intuitive and user-friendly.

-Ben B
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't see how instrument editing in Trigger could be much easier.

If you don't feel fancy about it, it actually loads single layer WAVs in the plugin it self.

And the instrument editor is quite intuitive.

I wish it had more outputs though.
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post
Sorry but... get used to it. Logic Pro X is coming by App Store. I think all software will within a few years. What makes you want the box so bad? It annoys me personally, I have to get up early and sit at home waiting for the UPS man to come, just so I can stick the DVD in my machine and rip all the data off it anyway, when I could just get that data through my phone line and whatever time of day I want.

Answer - yes Slate can send you it 'boxed' but it's just a DVD case with a card sleeve and a printed disc. Nothing special. But like I said, this is the modern day, you no longer heat your house from the fire, you no longer write day to day mail with a fountain pen... get used to this concept that data is taking over physical mediums.

If it makes you happy you could always back it up to DVD, print the PDF manual off and stick it all in an empty cereal box.
I just don't trust DVD-R as much as laminated DVDs. I like to have original copies of the stuff I buy so if my machine crashes I can rebuild it easily.
Old 28th September 2011
jac
Gear Addict

Just bought the basic version. I'm used to work with the SPL trigger plugin and I love it, especially because of the sound, but I've to say that the Slate's trigger works much better. I'm still not quite happy with the sound, maybe should I buy the upgrade?

It sounds very modern/metal, but maybe it's what people is looking for.

It also seems to be less CPU hungry compared to the SPL... Not a bad thing!
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post
I just don't trust DVD-R as much as laminated DVDs. I like to have original copies of the stuff I buy so if my machine crashes I can rebuild it easily.
If your machine crashes you just download another one from Slate.

It's iLok protected anyway.
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post
If your machine crashes you just download another one from Slate.

It's iLok protected anyway.
It's a mental thing, I know haha.
I like that it uses an iLok though, it means that I could use it my two machines.

My studio isn't in my home and when I only want to edit I can do it on my computer at home and then take the ilok with me to the studio when it's time to mix.
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac View Post
I'm still not quite happy with the sound, maybe should I buy the upgrade?

Curious about that as well!
Old 28th September 2011
Don't settle for the cheapest one, get the ssd platnum!
Sent from my Droid using Gearslutz.com App
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah I got the EX and likely like 2 weeks later they had the sale for the Platinum for cheap... Because once I messed with EX I wanted the whole bundle.

Works great.. at this point. I've recorded great drums with great drummer.
Using Trigger sometimes it's not about replacing because it's a bad drum sound..(that happens).

But it's more like using it for EQ or a tone shaper.
Just adding a little under an already good sounding drum can give you that extra percentage of sounding like a pro or finished sound..

It's awesome.. one of the better purchases I've made.
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raincityrecorder View Post
Trigger can handle 300bpm gravity blast beats and stay accurate. Nothing else I've tried other than tab to transient even comes close.
This what I agree with , I have both D gog and trigger , mind you for my workflow there are some things that I like on each plug in . It would be great to fuse them both trigger is very accurate for sure .
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac View Post
Just bought the basic version. I'm used to work with the SPL trigger plugin and I love it, especially because of the sound, but I've to say that the Slate's trigger works much better. I'm still not quite happy with the sound, maybe should I buy the upgrade?

Yeah, I bought the EX package first, and only liked a few of the sounds. I thought they were much more "metal-y" sounding, as well. Not the kind of music I ever work on. I could get a couple of kicks I liked there, but the snares were not really to my liking. When they offered a special deal for the "upgrade-to-Platinum" package, I went for it. The sound options are much, much more versatile here. It's not even close. There are many more usable sounds in the Platinum package, and I've used it to good effect even for a client who's going for a smaller, rougher, indie kind of sound. Good stuff in the Platinum package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
Yeah I got the EX and likely like 2 weeks later they had the sale for the Platinum for cheap... Because once I messed with EX I wanted the whole bundle.

Works great.. at this point. I've recorded great drums with great drummer.
Using Trigger sometimes it's not about replacing because it's a bad drum sound..(that happens).

But it's more like using it for EQ or a tone shaper.
Just adding a little under an already good sounding drum can give you that extra percentage of sounding like a pro or finished sound..
Totally agree on this. On a recent song I was mixing, the recorded drums were pretty good, but the room was small and a little boxy sounding, and the kick didn't have enough low "thump" to kick you in the chest. Just mixing in some of the Platinum drums behind the recorded drums really, really helped. The kick was like night and day, and totally transformed the song in my opinion. The snare was also pretty successful, though not quite as much so as the kick. It was a balancing act to match the Trigger snare close enough to the recorded snare, since the recorded snare was coming through the OHs. But in the end, it was a really good thing, and helped a whole lot. And the drummer was amazed and thrilled at the results.
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markham View Post
Yeah, I bought the EX package first, and only liked a few of the sounds. I thought they were much more "metal-y" sounding, as well. Not the kind of music I ever work on. I could get a couple of kicks I liked there, but the snares were not really to my liking. When they offered a special deal for the "upgrade-to-Platinum" package, I went for it. The sound options are much, much more versatile here. It's not even close. There are many more usable sounds in the Platinum package, and I've used it to good effect even for a client who's going for a smaller, rougher, indie kind of sound. Good stuff in the Platinum package.

Totally agree on this. On a recent song I was mixing, the recorded drums were pretty good, but the room was small and a little boxy sounding, and the kick didn't have enough low "thump" to kick you in the chest. Just mixing in some of the Platinum drums behind the recorded drums really, really helped. The kick was like night and day, and totally transformed the song in my opinion. The snare was also pretty successful, though not quite as much so as the kick. It was a balancing act to match the Trigger snare close enough to the recorded snare, since the recorded snare was coming through the OHs. But in the end, it was a really good thing, and helped a whole lot. And the drummer was amazed and thrilled at the results.
Sounds like I'll have to buy it, seems fun.
I'm pretty old school when it comes to recording, I like to track on a dedicated 24 track recorder and mix with an analog board with outboard, I try not to edit anything, I really try to push the band to its max instead but I feel like some good samples could bring some different flavors every now and then.

It's a bit too expansive for me right now because I have some other things that I need to buy this week but it's definitely on my wish list.
thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search