The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slate Trigger Utility Plugins
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

If I only could have ONE plugin to use with my DAW and stock DAW plugins it would be Steven Slate Trigger. Best time-saver ever
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markham View Post
Yeah, I bought the EX package first, and only liked a few of the sounds. I thought they were much more "metal-y" sounding, as well. Not the kind of music I ever work on. I could get a couple of kicks I liked there, but the snares were not really to my liking. When they offered a special deal for the "upgrade-to-Platinum" package, I went for it. The sound options are much, much more versatile here. It's not even close. There are many more usable sounds in the Platinum package, and I've used it to good effect even for a client who's going for a smaller, rougher, indie kind of sound. Good stuff in the Platinum package.
Do you have some clips of that? I'm interested in the plugin but I'm not really into metal, those sound can be impressive but they wouldn't be too useful for me. I'm more into rock, alternative, grunge... Think nirvana, qotsa, weezer blue album, that kind of stuff.
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post
Do you have some clips of that? I'm interested in the plugin but I'm not really into metal, those sound can be impressive but they wouldn't be too useful for me. I'm more into rock, alternative, grunge... Think nirvana, qotsa, weezer blue album, that kind of stuff.
You totally can get those sounds...
Client I'm working with now is sort of that vein of stuff. From The Damnwells to STP/Weezer, Rooney.. And I'm using Trigger not for full replacement.. But to just add that accent of WOW behind the kit.

The Platinum has tons of sounds.. It's even cool when you already have a great natural snare sound you're digging.. You can make another snare track.. add Trigger and turn off the direct hit of the sample.. So you are only triggering the room/OH's. Blend that under your Snare now you have a really cool splash of a great room behind your snare and you don't even need to use reverb on the kit then.. Just one of the tricks you can do when you don't need to fully replace something.
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
You totally can get those sounds...
Client I'm working with now is sort of that vein of stuff. From The Damnwells to STP/Weezer, Rooney.. And I'm using Trigger not for full replacement.. But to just add that accent of WOW behind the kit.

The Platinum has tons of sounds.. It's even cool when you already have a great natural snare sound you're digging.. You can make another snare track.. add Trigger and turn off the direct hit of the sample.. So you are only triggering the room/OH's. Blend that under your Snare now you have a really cool splash of a great room behind your snare and you don't even need to use reverb on the kit then.. Just one of the tricks you can do when you don't need to fully replace something.
That is great to hear! I was worried that the samples would only be good for modern stuff.
Are there some samples in there that sound more focused on mids, or "vintage" if you will?

Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post
That is great to hear! I was worried that the samples would only be good for modern stuff.
Are there some samples in there that sound more focused on mids, or "vintage" if you will?

Thanks
Well if you watch the Slate TV videos with Glen palying the V-Drums he runs through the sounds for Slate drums and they are pretty much the same..
But there are some bundles in Trigger were different kicks/snares mixed from other bundles..

But sometimes you can pick a sound and it's perfect and you don't need to do anything. Other times you need to treat them.. Lot of them have a sort of hard hit.. It's nice.. But to hard sometimes. So you can tame that with the Dynamic and Velocity knobs.. Plus the there is a pull down menu to use lighter hits. Then you can like I said use room/OH or turn them off for a drier sound.. So you can pitch the sample up/down and plugins after it to help shape it.. Either way.. you have more control then you would even a real snare. Plus you can make your own sample if you get something dialed in you dig and want to use it on other sessions.

But I wouldn't mind seeing him add more vintage tones.. I tend to only record vintage drums now when doing most Rock..
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
Well if you watch the Slate TV videos with Glen palying the V-Drums he runs through the sounds for Slate drums and they are pretty much the same..
But there are some bundles in Trigger were different kicks/snares mixed from other bundles..

But sometimes you can pick a sound and it's perfect and you don't need to do anything. Other times you need to treat them.. Lot of them have a sort of hard hit.. It's nice.. But to hard sometimes. So you can tame that with the Dynamic and Velocity knobs.. Plus the there is a pull down menu to use lighter hits. Then you can like I said use room/OH or turn them off for a drier sound.. So you can pitch the sample up/down and plugins after it to help shape it.. Either way.. you have more control then you would even a real snare. Plus you can make your own sample if you get something dialed in you dig and want to use it on other sessions.

But I wouldn't mind seeing him add more vintage tones.. I tend to only record vintage drums now when doing most Rock..
I've played with the demo version but I still have to learn how to properly use the velocity and dynamic, right now I'm not too sure about their effect on the samples.

I'll definitely check the video, for some reasons, I didn't think about that...
Have a good one!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search