The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thunderbolt Finally
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thunderbolt Finally

""Magma Unveils the First Three-Slot Thunderbolt™ Expansion Chassis

Connect PCI Express® cards to Thunderbolt-equipped computers and experience blazing-fast data transfer!
""
finally something useful for Thunderbolt. i hope this is not a double post but have not seen any other threads

Magma Announces ExpressBox 3T - Thunderbolt to PCIe Expansion Chassis
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

having to use two peripherals (i.e. breakout box + interface) makes this only minimally useful to laptop-based guys.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

UADs? PCIe Madi all in 1 box? sounds good to me..
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

jschild, will windows 7 support this?
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

video cards for MacBooks and Mac Mini's?
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Thunderbolt Finally

Hello
Two HDSPe Madi?
HD-3?
Sign me up.

Hugh
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere View Post
My thoughts exactly!
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere View Post
Absolutely. 1x hd native. 1x graphics card. 1x black magic video card and take your MacBook pro home with you when you leave the studio, and connect it all up with 2 cables.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Graphics cards won't be possible unless you drill some holes and mount an external power supply (won't be pretty)

How much bandwidth does thunderbolt offer? How many cards can we put in?
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

The box will have power, see below...

Product Information
ExpressBox 3T is a sleek anodized silver chassis with three PCIe 2.0 slots, a cooling fan, a 220W internal power supply, and travel bag for easy transportation. ExpressBox 3T and up to six Thunderbolt devices can be daisy-chained including Thunderbolt and DisplayPort displays. Magma is actively working with development partners such as Apple, Avid, AJA, Red, ATTO, Fusion-io and Promise Technology to validate application performance with ExpressBox 3T in broadcast video and pro audio environments.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Magma has been used to power DSP cards for some time, the nice thing about this is that thunderbolt should be a lot more transparent than the previous incarnations as there were multiple stages of bridge chips which could confuse some drivers. I'd like to see a bigger version with more PSU beef for graphics cards to power some serious visualist horsepower...having to rack up computers to get real muscle into play is a hassle come setup/teardown at a venue. And gaming laptops are not only overpriced, but you miss out on some OSX features that really make for good visuals (Quartz compositions, Syphon, Modul8's great dmx implementation...)
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Very awesome!
I'd like a more portable 1 slot version though (for one ssl dual madi card)
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

That looks awesome!
Old 9th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by re-animator View Post
having to use two peripherals (i.e. breakout box + interface) makes this only minimally useful to laptop-based guys.
It's one flightcase isn't it though? Have you seen how much gear most mobile rigs involve? How much stuff most producers carry with them? It isn't a big deal!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search