The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any news on the new Mac Pro? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Any news on the new Mac Pro?

Any new rumours, or anything that hints that a new model is coming?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Jan 2012 is the way the wind seems to be blowing. Maybe they will show up for Christmas. I'm waiting. It's upgrade time.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardwizard View Post
Any new rumours, or anything that hints that a new model is coming?
just like you i want to buy a mac pro... is it worth waiting for it another 6 months? i'm not sure...

what can happen if i buy a mac pro 8 core now? in which way will the new one be better than these ones? maybe 3 % faster

maybe only new models which i'm not interested in are going to be released (like the 12 core for example.)

probably there will be the thunderbolt on board, but really who needs it, anyways there is going to be some kind of pci card to expand the actual mac pros.

i don't think i'm waiting more for the new ones, who gives a s**it for apples marketing i'm sure that a part from super amazing presentations in the substance there will be little change....

or maybe not... bah i don't know but i think i'm going to jump over the cliff and buy the 8 core this october
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I'm thinking the same as you, and I'm also wondering - Is the new iMac the best choice available at the moment?
Or is the "Old" mac pro still better?

i'm thinking:

Imac 27":
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x4GB
2TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5

vs:

Mac Pro alt 1:
1x 2,8ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem"
16GB RAM
256GB SSD + 2TB HDD
Radeon 5770 1GB

opt 2: +800$
One 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem"
16GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB
256GB SSD + 1TB

opt3: same price as 2.
2 x 2.4GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon "Westmere"
16GB RAM
256mb SSD +1TB
Radeon 5770

or option 2000 deluxe:
Wait....wait....wait for it....new model...2012/2013..who knows..
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear
personally i will go for the 8 core.

to save money i could buy the quad but already now it happens i go to 90% cpu usage with custom window xp & intel quad

so 8 would be a better investment in time.

i don't care about video cards even...

the iMac? and what about expandabilty (hope it's correct spelling)

if next year i buy a new audiocard that needs her own Pci card how am i going to do it with the iMAc... (ptools hd native) even adding more usb's would be a problem.

i work with at least two lcd screens and maybe i'm adding a third, iMac would be problematic if i wanted to arrange them differently.

If you don't have these needs i think you can easily go for an iMac, i used one with ableton live and it worked great...

just read in these apple gossip websites that maybe they are going to add the double 8 core, to get a 16 core machine...
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

the imac is actually faster than the other 3
more cores do not mean more power.. until you get much higher GHz than the lowly 2.4GHz

late nov/dec would be the soonest a new Mac Pro is released.

intels road map shows SINGLE SB-E processors releasing then the Dual Xeons a full quarter later
i dont see Apple updating the single Xeon and not the duals.
then again stranger things have happened.

Scott
ADK
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well, here's the list of processors Apple will have to chose from. I'd guess Apple is just waiting for Intel to get off the pot. (flashbacks of IBM/PPC, anyone?) Anyway, I'm thinking/hoping for a late October launch, right after the "iPhone 5" and iOS 5 roll-out. I'm ready to retire this G5!!

Sandy Bridge-E: 17 New Xeon CPUs for Q4
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
more cores do not mean more power..
Unless you actually use Mac-centric software like FCP X, Compressor, or Logic 9.1.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

if you say so... and FCX really? yeah thats such a pro software.
FC users are abandoning FC in droves and going to Adobe/Avid.
and most are leaving Apple behind as well.. but thats a thread for a video forum not an audio forum..

Logic using all 24 cores correctly? got a screen shot of that? heh

Scott
ADK
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
if you say so... and FCX really? yeah thats such a pro software.
That's exactly what nay-sayers said about Final Cut Pro 1.0. The point is that FCPX thrives on multi-cores.

Quote:
Logic using all 24 cores correctly?
It uses 16 cores, though you can be sure Logic X will address this limitation. Nevertheless, Logic offers more processing power for duals than a higher clocked single quad-core or hex machine, as experienced by many users over on the Logic Multi-core Benchmark thread.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

More news.

Now shipping to select customers. I smell an October surprise!

Intel Ships Xeon E5 Server Chips for Cloud, HPC Environments - IT Infrastructure - News & Reviews - eWeek.com
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

nothing this yr...
read the article..

"Intel executives at IDF said they have begun shipping eight-core Xeon E5 chips based on the "Sandy Bridge" architecture, and that servers with the technology will begin appearing early next year"

"Servers running the Xeon E5 will begin hitting the market early in 2012, said Skaugen, who expects to sell the chip in "extremely high volumes." "

begun shipping means they have sent out processors for OEMs to get system platforms finalized and tested..

verified this with Intel again yesterday.

i have some of the Sandy E processors right now as well (just no stinking board to test with yet ugh)
Scott
ADK
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Read it, thanks.

Next year is the official, high-volume launch. As in... Intel has produced enough where it feels confident to announce to the whole world "come and get 'em!"

Apple is far from high-volume in this market but they do have a history of early access to Intel chips. You're telling me (again) that it's completely out of the realm of possibility that Apple will gain access to new Xeons ahead of the market? C'mon...

Honestly, they way you pounce on every Mac Pro news CPU-related thread with nay-saying and negativity really comes across as stereotypical PC sour grapes. Give it a rest, please.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

last time Intel released new Xeon Westmere CPU's it took Apple several months to roll off the shelves, new motherboard designs , gearing up manufacturing and shipping components from China and other far east overseas all take time.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Here's a historical review for the nay-sayers. It also offers a bit of insight into the unique relationship Apple has with Intel which allows it to frequently get a jump-start on the competition.

Note where Apple launches new Mac Pros before Intel even sets a launch date...

Apple Jump-starts Nehalem Launch for Intel | PCWorld Business Center

Not saying 2011 Mac Pros are guaranteed. Just saying that's it's entirely possible given past history and recent announcements.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Apple had intel proccesors before others only once the very first launch of intel based systems.
Since then the channel has had them before Apple. (apple's choice)
Apple tends to lag behind a few months.
a paper launch is not a real launch.
as an Apple dealer and having to update my site with the newer products i know who had what and when..

this is not naysaying, its just the facts. people like you get others all excited thinking the next MP is releasing based on rumour and assumption.
for some the wrong info can make for a bad biz decision.
i am just trying to put forth what i know and not rely on some rumors.

Example: a thead claiming Apple will release new MP in Aug.. (might have even been you that started it)
funny Aug has come and gone i see nothing new mid sept still nothing..

do you have an Intel inside contact? or you just quoting websites?

again i just asked again yesterday about the dual Xeons.

my guess you wont see them until a month or 2 after the channel does.
Scott
ADK
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

IIRC, Apple has had early access to new Intel stuff on more than just the one occasion: most recently with the new iMac, which got the Z68 a week before everyone else.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Z68 is not a processor its a chipset for the motherboard.
if they actually did have them before hand(Doubt it)

all that means is Foxconn had the boards ready before anyone else. (asus is always first)
absolutely nothing to do with Intel/Apple
simply how fast the motherboard manufacturer got it together
considering its for the sandy bridge processors of present Apple was 6 months late to the sandy bridge game... not exactly what i call beating the channel to the new processors.

FYI Z68 offers nothing over P67 that matters for audio/video.
i still dont sell it and will be skipping it entirely.

Scott
ADK
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

According to THIS thread, the 2010 Pros smoke the 2011 iMac, at least with Logic.

I'm just hoping that when the new Mac Pros do come out, Apogee will have Lion drivers for the X-symphony system.
Old 15th September 2011
MediaMix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
According to THIS thread, the 2010 Pros smoke the 2011 iMac, at least with Logic.
On that chart I find the 2009 2.93 8 core Mac Pro being even with the 2010 2.66 12 core to be quite interesting considering the price difference in 2011.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I still maintain I'll be surprised to see a September launch for the Mac Pros that's not purely a paper launch.

Really it's Intel that's delaying things, the workstation/server boards weren't even visible until a few weeks ago for SB-e Xeons and the only time in the past I can recall Apple shipping before others it was really only in comparison to HP/Dell/etc. Parts were still available among the 2cpu crowd, and ES samples for SB-e are only *just* beginning to appear so far. SB-e doesn't really count as a tick or a tock according to typical Intel roadmaps, which is in and of itself interesting. And now that Ivy is now officially pushed back so SB-e is in no hurry imo, they will need to keep it on the market for quite a few months to fill the gap and compete with Dozer which gets formal announcement on Sept 26th.

So you can expect Intel (and Apple) to announce SB-e around the same time, and ramp up volume in Q4 though there's no reason to flood the market with high levels of availability imo. The damn things are going to be kind of hot imo anyway.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

If you can wait, then wait. If not, make your choice of many options.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post

I'm just hoping that when the new Mac Pros do come out, Apogee will have Lion drivers for the X-symphony system.
yeah maybe....but as far as I can see, expensive Mac pro's with Westmere 8core processors and higher.. not the single quad core 2,8 model for instance.
I'm still in doubt about what to choose...
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardwizard View Post
yeah maybe....but as far as I can see, expensive Mac pro's with Westmere 8core processors and higher.. not the single quad core 2,8 model for instance.
I'm still in doubt about what to choose...
Wait until the new models come out, then get a used or reconditioned 2010 12-core on the cheap?
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

News update

So apparently finalized E5s are shipping, but (according to this author) likely being delayed for financial/marketing reasons.

Intel: You may already be using Xeon E5 without knowing it • The Register

Most interesting:
Skaugen: "Don't confuse volume shipments under non-disclosure going into the large cloud and HPC customers with when the best time to do a marketing launch is,"

If this is the case, then it still remains a good chance we'll see a Mac Pro launch before the holidays. (since Apple doesn't actually sell the processors).

Again, my money's on late October. With MBP and iMac stomping all over the Mac Pro's turf all summer long, I'd be very surprised if we don't see an update sooner than later...
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

quote:"Right now, the launch window for Xeon SNB EP processors (E5-2600, E5-1600) is February 1 – March 31, so they haven’t really narrowed it down quite yet."

intel source..

and no Apple will not get them any sooner than channel...

so how about $1000 bet?
oh and FYI i have several issues with that article.

1) i just last week got Sandy E single processors
2) i still dont have a board for them and in enquiring around to various vendors past Intel they all had the same answer NOT ready yet, a few weeks! yet launch is Nov 6th. (ish)
(vey unusual, i normally have stuff 2-3 months prior) even if they are beta boards.. never mind dual Xeon boards..

3) whan asking about engineering samples for Xeons the answer not until at least mid Dec.

now i am well aware i am small potatoes to Intel (even if i am Platinum dealer) but yr after yr the way release dates vs when i get stuff has pretty much never changed. other than this and last release of sandy which were a month closer to release date than normal.

so again dont see it happening until 2012...

Scott
ADK
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm quite sure Apple is not talking/dealing with Intel field reps.

Anyway, time will tell. I'll post back any new news tidbits as they arise.... and I'm sure you'll be here to find a way to shoot 'em down.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaMix View Post
On that chart I find the 2009 2.93 8 core Mac Pro being even with the 2010 2.66 12 core to be quite interesting considering the price difference in 2011.
The 2.66 12-core results are not correct. See here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6997806-post1847.html

Summary: The 2.66 results are before the 9.1.3/9.1.4 update (or whenever the improved multicore support came along)
Old 24th September 2011
"Intel® Workstation Chassis SC5650WS",I dont know how completely rela vent it is, but this intel "1366" Xeon 5600 Series Workstation Motherboard [sound familiar?] is to be "discontinued" 2012. smells like new spirit to me Arrrgh so dumb thats the "chassis",THIS is the board "S5520SCR Server Board"[Farrrrk,Doh]its late.......

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search