The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro tools 9 now native, what to replace the mbox with ? Audio Interfaces
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Pro tools 9 now native, what to replace the mbox with ?

I've read a couple of threads on opening up PT9 to the world of uninhibited interfaces , most jump straight to your higher end gear like metric halo, apogee. rosseta 200 Etc.

These are great, but what about those of us with mid level studios, restricted budgets, but still a thirst for the best sound for our buck.

What are the alternatives to say the mbox 3 at around $500-600 ?

Or ecen the mbox3 mini at around $250-300 ?

For that price can you get a unit with better pre's and possibly more i/o's ?

This is more about what possibilities a native pro tools opens up for the same costs as the avid equivalent and can we do better, especially in the area of preamps ?

Would really like to hear some opinions & expertise on this,
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

To get the ball rolling here is a couple of have started looking into ..

competitors for the mbox3 mini ( $389)

Focusrite safire pro 14 or 24 : $299 or $349
M Audio profire 610 : $379
Mackie Onyx blackjack $250
Art tube mp : $249

and for the mbox3 ($469)

Focusrite safire pro 24 DSP : $449
Motu audio express :$489
Lexicon Ionix u22: $400

Ideally we need people who either know the preamps etc. of these models well, or have had the chance to put some side by side and do a comparison...
Old 8th September 2011
The Blackjack sounds great - out of those that I have heard, I would say it's easily the best bang-for-the-buck (I've heard the Focusrite, and the Art, which I'm not sure can be classified as an 'interface' - unless there's something I don't know about it I'd scratch it off the list). I use the Blackjack when I need to be portable. Apparently it's a bit finicky with PCs though, but with my Mac it's rock solid.

Don't discount Avid's new Mbox range, apparently they sound terrific.

I mainly use a Steinberg MR816X with PT9 and it's flawless in my studio setup. Great sonics, and it did not cost a lot.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Yea im using pc (on roids lol)..
I'm hanging to go get this but wanna be happy with the pre's and coverters in the unit I end up with (for the price) ... I'm basicly tied between mbox3 now and the saffire pro .. Although the lexicon looks awesome but it's not really about cosmetics here is it

Edit: actually throw the Mott express into that ... Arrr decisions , help anyone ??

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search