The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
About tape simulator plug-ins..
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

About tape simulator plug-ins..

I've never really been seduced by the concept,
so I kind of dismissed the Studer A800 on my UAD2.
When I tried it, I really thought what it did to the sound was so insignificant, almost unhearable that it was a total scam.

Now with UAD2 Version 6, they reset the demo so I got to try it again,and my opinion got better, as I inserted it on every track using the'classic rock' preset, and I can now hear what it does;

It does sound 'better', more rounded, kind of glued together, also it fattens the low end and softens the his.

But my impression is that it is something that you could get at mastering stage, with proper hardware eqs, comps etc..

So that it's really targeted at home studio people trying to get 'that' sound, with limited means.
What I mean is that I doubt this would be used for commercial releases on productions with good budgets, am I wrong or are they just gimmicks?
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanogil View Post
When I tried it, I really thought what it did to the sound was so insignificant, almost unhearable that it was a total scam.

Now with UAD2 Version 6, they reset the demo so I got to try it again,and my opinion got better, as I inserted it on every track using the'classic rock' preset, and I can now hear what it does;

It does sound 'better', more rounded, kind of glued together, also it fattens the low end and softens the his.

But my impression is that it is something that you could get at mastering stage, with proper hardware eqs, comps etc..

So that it's really targeted at home studio people trying to get 'that' sound, with limited means.
What I mean is that I doubt this would be used for commercial releases on productions with good budgets, am I wrong or are they just gimmicks?
Judge the plugins on how they sound and if they help you achieve your goal.
If it sounds good, or great or at any level improves your ability to get the result you want, then the rest is irrelevant.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd123 View Post
Judge the plugins on how they sound and if they help you achieve your goal.
If it sounds good, or great or at any level improves your ability to get the result you want, then the rest is irrelevant.
Yes of course you have a point here,
my idea was that the result you get with these plug ins is achievable with other tools.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, you are wrong.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

I think those tapesims get used on pro recordings especially if they have no tape lolz .. to tell u the truth the average in ur bedroom producer or mixer doesn't even kno how to use a tape machine moreless.. a tape sim like the UAD Studer would have these kids really mind bogged but a pro user of real tape would be able to use that plugin the way it is intended to be used, achieving almost exact results of the original tape machine. Something like the waves MPX or some of the older tape sims I think are for the bedroom .. but sumthin like the UAD Studer or the UAD Apex Atr Mastering tape are for pros with all the different types of tape formulas and controls only a pro user of tape could kno.. that's why it takes a UAD quad card to get u 24 trks of that Studer the average bedroom producer or mixer cannot afford that but a pro studio could afford that easily ...

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Addict

IMO, the easiest and cheapest way to familiarise yourself with tape sims is to start off with something like this...

TB Ferox

Provided that you have a working knowledge of tape and a focused objective in terms of application, you can achieve amazing results with it. I haven't tried anything else on the market yet, but TB Ferox and Bootsy Ferric (which is FREE) please me greatly.

Otherwise, just experiment and take tommyd123's advice.
And don't bother analysing the subject of tape sims until you get familiar with the two plugins I have recommended here.

Best of luck!
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

As one professional I will say that we do use them.

Just finished up a mix an hour ago with UA Studer and Ampex. I have used Waves MPX in others. Add in that darn CPU hungry Slate VCC and you are on your way.
Old 8th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopularDemand View Post
As one professional I will say that we do use them.

Just finished up a mix an hour ago with UA Studer and Ampex. I have used Waves MPX in others. Add in that darn CPU hungry Slate VCC and you are on your way.
Must grab the Studer - only thing stopping me is the need for another quad to run it on, but it is as certain as night following day it's going to happen.
Currently using Slate VCC > UAD Neve 88RS > Slate MixBuss (x3 in a surround mix) into 3 Ampex and it's great.
ONLY criticism is the waste of 4 insert slots due to lack of surround support
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Now with UAD2 Version 6, they reset the demo so I got to try it again,and my opinion got better, as I inserted it on every track using the'classic rock' preset, and I can now hear what it does
How did you like the demo compared to your analog tape machine? Does it sound like tape when you a/b the two?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

I've used tape sims since Steinberg's Magneto - been using these things since the TDM-only days. They are a good, quick way to get subgroups of drums, guitars, or vocals to glue together without applying more compression to tracks that are already compressed and automated, and may have already been to tape once in their life. After something's already on tape and you're in final-mix-tweaking mode, it's a royal pain to go back and bounce tracks to print them hotter for more crunch (if you even have empty tracks to bounce to, which I never did), so having this type of thing in a plugin is great.

I wouldn't apply something like this at the mastering stage because I want to use it selectively on subgroups of tracks, not across a whole mix - for instance, on a Helmet album that I produced I had programmed drum samples that were layered with John Tempesta's live performances (tracked to tape in the big room at Cello, so definitely not a home-studio project), and I wanted to glue and dirt-ify a subgroup of the samples to blend better with the very tape-sounding live drums. Magneto worked great for this - and only took about 30 seconds to get it sounding good.

This was many years ago.

These days I use UAD Studer (and now ATR also) on certain subgroups of sample-based orchestral music, which helps to smooth and round the sound when things get violent and screechy - and these plugins are usually in a chain with multiband compression and eq - they do different things - sort of a final-finalizer. Since I deliver film scores in separated stems to the dub stage, there is no "mastering phase", and there is no final stereo mix that can be fiddled with. Having tape sim plugins helps me take the edge off when I feel like it. If I was still doing rock albums I'd be using them a lot more on individual tracks.

So, no, not a gimmick. Just another subtle thing that can do a job with only a couple of knobs.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for sharing your experience, that's very interesting. I guess not having experience with the original a800 (I 've used it in sessions as a musician but not engineer), I am not able to get the most out of the plug, but having played around with the presets, I find it more appealing than I thought, though I'd need another UAD card to use it fully..
I too used the Steinberg Magneto back in the days, much more straightforward, though probably not even near the A800. As someone said, they are all tools to help you reach your sonic goal , and it all depends on how you use em!
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Aeh Oh, Magneto!
Great little plug
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

Downloads

phenomenal...and free

try the FerricTDS
Old 9th September 2011

Quote:
They're on plenty of AAA product. Including mine.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclouser View Post
So, no, not a gimmick. Just another subtle thing that can do a job with only a couple of knobs.
Hey Charlie, if you haven't tried it yet, check out the Nomad Factory's tape sim Magnetic. There's a free demo and I've found it to be great on the EWQL Platinum Plus orchestra, guitars, bass, drums, vocals and even as a mastering plug. It's a great tool with a lot of tweakable options.

I prefer it to the UAD and Waves tape sims, although YMMV.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Why use a tape simulator? Use instead a console simulator,its better.

Sent from my X8 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm surprised no ones mentioned Nebula, there are some superb tape and consoles from 3 rd parties.

MC
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureArtist View Post
Why use a tape simulator? Use instead a console simulator,its better.

Sent from my X8 using Gearslutz.com App
The two plugins try to simulate different things (recording on ferromagnetic tape vs. circuit made of analog electronics). Both can bring in some needed warmness i can enjoy when mixing ITB. Of course you can say you like the other better, no problem.
Old 10th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
and I've found it to be great on the EWQL Platinum Plus orchestra,
Really? I've found the best thing for Plat Plus is a match and a little lighter fluid just before you install it..... heh
Old 10th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozmonaut View Post
Downloads

phenomenal...and free

try the FerricTDS
Thanks for the link,this things great,totally nill cpu use too.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

UAD Ampex ATR-102 on dynamic material

Being a drummer, I like the UAD Ampex emulation on material with lots of peaks and transients.

The official teaser doesn´t really show off the full potential as their source material is already pretty smooth.
Check this quick and dirty demo out:

Have to apologize for the presets being mostly on the bright side making the ATR-102 plug also act as an exciter - but there are also linear presets in the additional presets folder (bottom left).
In the video, the 1st (3rd) 4th and 5th setting are the most natural ones, adding just a bit of air - and of course depth to the mix.

Best wishes,
Andreas
Old 12th September 2011
I got too distracted watching you play to appreciate the sonic differences in your demo. Nice grooves!
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveminister View Post
Being a drummer, I like the UAD Ampex emulation on material with lots of peaks and transients.

The official teaser doesn´t really show off the full potential as their source material is already pretty smooth.
Check this quick and dirty demo out:

Have to apologize for the presets being mostly on the bright side making the ATR-102 plug also act as an exciter - but there are also linear presets in the additional presets folder (bottom left).
In the video, the 1st (3rd) 4th and 5th setting are the most natural ones, adding just a bit of air - and of course depth to the mix.

Best wishes,
Andreas
wanderful demo. Thanks for sharing. Thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search