The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Deftones drum sound Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

Deftones drum sound

Hello, it has been a while. I hope to soon buy some software from toontrack. Likely SD2 and an expansion pack. I am a drummer, in what I suppose, many would call a metal band. I am having a hard time finding samples that are quite the sound that is pleasing to my ear. I'm looking for a Deftones/Dillinger Escape Plan sound which has (to me at least) a much much more breathy/woody/tight snare sounds, and really hard to describe tom sounds (especially the Deftones first album). Not sure if I can get the SD2 sounds in the ballpark by mixing and fx alone, and the Metal Foundry pack sounds far too oriented towards deathmetal. I hear some nice drum sounds from the Music City SDX pack which seems more oriented towards country of all things. I'm not trying to totally emulate their sound, just hope to have the tools to sculpt my own sounds which are heavily influenced by those bands. I own a Tama Starclassic maple tuned very particularly, and haven't really found much close to that either. I know, many would suggest record my own samples but I don't have the time or resources for that at the moment. I'm not too interested in BFD2, nor the Steven Slate pack. Sorry, but the Slate preset kit sounds absolutely nothing like the Deftones. In a nutshell, what is the closest I can orient myself in this direction with toontrack? Or if I'm being to stubborn, maybe, Maybe some other suggestions. Not jamstix either. Thank you!!!
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

My advice is pretty basic, but I found it generally helpful when told to EQ and layer. Layering kicks and snares is super important, imho, to get that heavy kick with an audible top end, and for snares having that heavy/tight "snap" while keeping it's presence.

Asides from that, the reverb plugin of your choice with light sidechain compression to a track you feel competes for space with it helps TONS, just don't over-do it unless you're going to make some electro house '=]
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

thank you loveless, are you a fan of the deftones, have you used toontrack products? I was somewhat hoping to achieve a sound that I prefer with methods like you mentioned. I'm mostly critical about getting that tight/woody snare sound of like a older vented snare. I personally have been using a Spaun 20ply maple vented snare cranked tight. Also, I imagine that Abe Cunningham is a very hard hitter in the studio what gives his slightly dampened toms a quick decay. Most snare samples sound too loose, not cutting like I hope to find. Also, tom samples tend to be too boomy, and lack charater. I have 10", 12", rack toms and 14", 16" suspended floor toms with aquarium studio x tops and remo bottoms. I suppose my real question is if SD2 is enough, and what expansion pack might take it up a notch in the direction I hope to carve out? Thank you slutz!!!
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

Piccolo snare seems like a big part of what makes his drum sound unique. I love it when metal bands use piccolo snares. It adds a certain "latin flavor" to the whole sound of the band. Check out Opeth's "Blackwater Park" album for another example of this.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Head

Come on WWW, nobody has some experience with Music City or the Metal Foundry and has a rough idea of the sound I'm looking for. Yes, the piccolo snare has a cool sound, think Korn's early album used one, and what a unforgettable sound indeed. Think sure Abe from the Deftones used a vented OCDP in the early days and now uses a Bell Brass Tama. The vented snare sound is what I'm looking for, although the Music City pack has a Tama kit, this must be partly why I found the expansion appealing. Anyone here ever use this pack, anyone use it for metal?

Also, I was considering to by Cubase 6 with my student discount, but have recently been turned up by Reaper. I used to program midi by hand in Sonar with the notation feature, the process is great in Cubase, how is it in Reaper? Do Reaper and SD2 make for a good partnership? I've seen some complaints about Reapers Midi, but as a preforming drummer who used to be in marching band, entering midi hits in notation is natural to me.

Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search