The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ensemble and Mac Pro users
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Ensemble and Mac Pro users

Hi Guys,

My new Mac Pro only has firewire 800 in but the Ensemble has firewire 400 out.
What are you guys using to link the two?

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks very much JoRillo. I tracked down one of these leads here and plugged it in but the Mac Pro is still not recognising the Ensemble. The Ensemble goes through its booting up colours green and red, but doesn't go to the blue which normally indicates that it has been connected.

BTW I am using Snow Leopard.

Any ideas please?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Have you gone in to the "About This Mac" to "More Info" to "Firewire" in the system profiler to see if there is any activity at all?
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks I checked firewire as suggested and it reads

FW Device tree
FW bus
Builtin hub
FW bus
maximum speed up to 800 m/bs
Built in hub
Max speed up to 800 m/bs
Connection up to 800 m/bs

Any other ideas on what else I can try please?

Thanks again.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

If your firewire check in the system profiler does not show the Ensemble when it is plugged in then there may be a problem with the cable. Have you tried the cable with another firewire 400 device? Have you been able to open the Apogee software on the Mac? If the blue light does not show, are you getting the red led that goes green a bit later? If green happens then the unit is going to stand alone mode which means there should definitely be a cable problem. The red means connection is there but there is a problem and green means it can't see the firewire at all and is stand alone.

Also try reset by pressing in the front panel left encoder and holding it til it boots up.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Hi HasBeen,
Thanks very much for your help.
The lead is new from the local Pro shop (but I haven't checked it yet with another device)
The software is present on screen but greyed out, no information in either.

I tried holding down the left encoder during booting up and the pattern still goes green for a second, then red.

However, on checking the Firewire info on the Mac, the Ensemble is now listed in the Firewire device tree under the built-in hub.
This is new, it wasn't listed before.

In Logic Pro - Audio - the Apogee control panel is showing but is greyed out.

Anything else I can try please?

Thanks again.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Go to Utilities folder on the mac and open Audio Midi Setup and see if the Ensemble is in there. Select it if it is. Lemme know.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Hi HasBeen,

Thanks again for writing back.
No luck in the Utilities Audio Midi Setup, only a list of inbuilts. No sign of the Ensemble.

Interesting thing just happened when I went to the Firewire listing in the Mac, couldn't find the Ensemble listed, then I remembered to switch on the Ensemble, then went back into Firewire and found Ensemble had appeared on the list.

So it appears that the Ensemble is in some way being recognised by the Mac, just not coming on line.

Frustrating!

Any thing else I can try?

Thanks again,
Old 9th September 2011
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
Any thing else I can try?
Have you contacted Apogee for assistance?
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

If the profiler sees the Ensemble, the midi control panel should, what happens when you open the sound control panel with it plugged in and turned on? And make sure you are looking for "devices" in the audio midi control panel as well

Also make sure this file is there in your : System > Library >Extensions > apogfwplugin.bundle.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Hi Guys,

Great news! I'm finally back on air again. Ensemble working perfectly.
Jay from Apogee suggested I upgrade to OS X 10.6.8 and hey presto, the blue light went on and everything is great again.
Thanks to all who helped with suggestions, particularly Has Been.
This is a great community.

Thanks again.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search