The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic Pro X info finally.. per Appleinsider Equalizer Plugins
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head
Logic Pro X info finally.. per Appleinsider

AppleInsider | Apple preparing Logic Pro X, working to avoid Final Cut X backlash

Apple is reportedly finishing an update to Logic Pro 9, its professional digital audio and music sequencing program, taking care not to rile existing users with significant changes.

The new update is reportedly called Logic Pro X to maintain the same branding as Apple's recent Final Cut X. However, according to a report by Japanese blog Macotakara, Apple's Logic team is making great efforts to stress that it will not shift toward a GarageBand interface, heading off fears that Logic Pro might lose its professional edge.

Logic Pro X moves to the the App Store

Like Aperture and Final Cut Pro X, the new Logic Pro X package will be release via the App Store. In the move, the Logic Pro accessory app MainStage (used to manage virtual instruments during live performances) will reportedly spin off into a separate app, while WaveBurner (a standalone app used to master audio CDs) will have its functionality incorporated into Logic Pro X itself.

SoundTrack Pro 3, formerly included in both Final Cut Studio and Logic Studio as a tool for synching background audio to video, is reported to have a replacement but the report has not filled in any details regarding that program. The new app will likely be added to the Mac App Store alongside Final Cut Pro X, Logic Pro X, MainStage and the existing Aperture.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't think the FCPX move was unintentional in any way. Apple have consistently moved their product line from the pro-market niche they held in the 90s and into the mass market.
However the "wanting to make music" market is significantly smaller than the number of people wanting to make a flashy home video and I doubt they'll ever make LP into GB pro.
Whether Apples lax approach surrounding LP has to do with a lack of interest or just down department calendar organisation feels like quite a redundant question nowadays.
There are so many competing apps that do what LP do, and better quite often. Logics be or not to be professional status feels neither here nor there.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Addict

I've given up on Logic but if they do a drastic makeover a la FCP then I might give it another chance...
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac
Bring it on.
Please utilize all my ram, run all my cores no matter what I do.
Sold
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Logic 9 for the most part is really awesome atm. Just fix the bugs and need more developers to support 64GB and we're good to go here.

I love using the channel strip saving function and creating my own apple loops for hi-end music production, so I hope Logic Studio X atleast keeps that functionality.

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've been using Logic since version 7 and the ugliness of it is really getting to me. Naively, as an Apple fan, I expected a lot more...this looks like it came out of Redmond heh There's a bunch of horrid stuff in there that it looks like no one touched since the early 90's. And some of the resigned parts aren't much better. A complete face lift would be nice to see.
Old 8th September 2011
I'll choose bugfree functionality above a pretty GUI any day of the week.
Please a couple more Logic 9 bugfixes, and I'm a happy camper.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear
It's sounding good to me. I like the idea of waveburner being in the workflow as a option. That would be cool just to flip over to it in the same program and have the options. I was hoping it would move in this direction. Last thing I need is for more 17 year old kids telling me about their phat beats made on their mac. Every one's a high end producer with a few key strokes and some sample packs. They can have garage band and I will stand their and play dumb. Just don't take Logic!!!!
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Waveburner incorporated into Logic might be very interesting.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

+1 on adopting Waveburner. That's useful. I'm really glad they're not dumbing it down like Final Cut X. That was one of my biggest fears about Logic Pro X. I'm also concerned about OSX being dumbed down to much in the future, rather everything Apple.

I also have a feeling that Logic Pro X is going to jump on the analogue emulation train somehow. Possibly character emulation for each channel like the Metric Halo console? I'm really digging that on my 2882.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm not sure how much to believe that as there's no real reason to give any credence to this report... other than the fact that it seems to be good news!

Anyway, I'm hoping for a lot of the bugs and expected upgrades (melodyne like tuning etc) from the 'what do you want in Logic X' thread, a gui refresh (a beautiful 'reskinning' if you will), but generally the same thing.

AU 2.0 so i can properly utilise Maschine would be awesome (midi out from instrument plugins)

I really hope it is simply a case of evolution and is not dumbed down. Not sure about the (inevitable) app store - i understand it'll be just the core app, but are we really expected to download 40gb? Hey, at least the install will be much faster than from a crapload of optical discs.

But most of all, i just want it to properly utilise all cpu cores... and not use more cpu/ram to do the same tasks as it does now.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor200 View Post
I also have a feeling that Logic Pro X is going to jump on the analogue emulation train somehow. Possibly character emulation for each channel like the Metric Halo console? I'm really digging that on my 2882.
Yeah, i have the same feeling - i hope it's not ****e though. If you're integrating a 'sound' into the DAW a la 'heat', it better be pretty great...
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Addict
Logic X

Garageband Pro?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

They need to concentrate on fixing the bugs and making it stable. I can live without new features this go round. If it is a complete re-write like Final Cut X they can get it right. There is no reason why Logic should not be the most bug free, super stable DAW ever. Apple makes the computer, the DAW (Logic), and the operating system (OSX).
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenBeat View Post
Garageband Pro?
Did you come up with that by yourself?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear
I've seen some bugs like channels flipping out or muting sometimes. My main gripe is core overloads when their really shouldn't be. I'll get one core overloading sometime no matter what track I highlight and it just starts getting weird. Usually have to reboot, but it's just a pain in the ass. I've put off upgrading my first gen mac because it really does get me by accept for when I get to the very end of the session. A little more ram would push me over just nicely Come on waves 64 bit and Logic making it a nice transition! I have a feeling by the end of the year we can all live happily. I've been putting some money aside for some extra ram and holding off on Lion for now even though all my updates to Logic and Ableton claims it's working. Just can't chance it!
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

BTW, just to keep you all informed, this is just a rumor....
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTuxedo View Post
BTW, just to keep you all informed, this is just a rumor....
This is stuff we knew already. Logic X is coming out soon and is being recoded like they did with Final Cut. Not much of a rumor. Integrating Waveburner into Logic like the CD functions in Samplitude has been needed and not much of a stretch either.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
This is stuff we knew already. Logic X is coming out soon and is being recoded like they did with Final Cut.
Huh??? When did we already know that???

I see every reason why Apple did what it did with FCP - sure they handled the PR of the release badly, but in the long run, it will probably work out for the better.

Final Cut needed a 64 update, it's GUI hadn't significantly been updated in his century, and was still a programmed designed at the begin of the non-linear video editing age.

While Logic Pro has already been converted to 64 bit, has already had major overhauls to the OSX age (both GUI and under the hood) - and the GUI of Garageband has barely changed since version 1.0 and is still and has always been a simplified subset of Logic Pro.

The closest parallel we've seen to the iMovie-FCP X influence, was when Apple used Garageband to "beta-test" the whole Apple loop engine before later rolling it into Logic Pro - but there has been no parallel to this - "Final Cut Pro's original lead developer, Randy Ubillos, completely redesigned the original, simplistic iMovie to deliver iMovie 08 in 2007" - happening in Garageband Land. There simply hasn't been.

But for sure, the one thing that is going to happen is moving Logic distribution to the App store - which will certainly cut down on piracy and if Apple's recent behavior is any indicator, the cost savings from that will be passed on to us - with a lower selling price. Not that I have any complaints about the current price.

David
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Correct me If i'm mis-informed, but isn't dr. gerhard lengeling still in charge of audio app development at Apple. He was the original developer of Logic (under the emagic moniker) and I think a genius. He got so many things right about the development of Logic, the enviroment in the 90's so important for those heady full midi days, the intro of the EXS24 in 2000 - I dropped my outboard samplers almost immediately! More recent elements, bounce in place for example.
I'm trusting that if he still has the power Logic X will remain inspiring and most importantly professional.
Old 8th September 2011
Tui
Gear Guru

I only hope they don't make it all black in appearance like Final Cut. I hate that look. Not only is it ugly, but you'll have to squint at the screen all the time, due to poor contrast. I can't believe those design choices are deemed acceptable.

This is what I'm talking about:

How the f8ck does anybody get ant work done? Unbelievable.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrigger View Post
Huh??? When did we already know that???
Common knowledge for most around these parts.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
Common knowledge for most around these parts.
I keep an eye on all the Logic related forums and I don't think it's common knowledge that Logic X will be recoded like FinalCut X. That's wild speculation by a handful of people that shouldn't be counted as reliable.

Logic X to released in 2011 timeframe? Yes.
Revamped to be crippled like FinalCut X? No, I don't think so.

Well, we have everyones comments on this guessing game recorded for posterity. When Logic X actually gets released, we can all look back on this thread to see who was correct.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason West View Post
I keep an eye on all the Logic related forums and I don't think it's common knowledge that Logic X will be recoded like FinalCut X. That's wild speculation by a handful of people that shouldn't be counted as reliable.
That's been the word around the industry but we will see. Our Logic rep has been vague on the issue.

I remember the guy that came on GS talking about Pro Tools 9 features and he was crucified for weeks....but he was right. heh I will never doubt that there are a few here that are in the know on many products.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
I only hope they don't make it all black in appearance like Final Cut. I hate that look. Not only is it ugly, but you'll have to squint at the screen all the time, due to poor contrast. I can't believe those design choices are deemed acceptable.
How the f8ck does anybody get ant work done? Unbelievable.
+1

I completely agree.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopularDemand View Post
I remember the guy that came on GS talking about Pro Tools 9 features and he was crucified for weeks....but he was right. heh I will never doubt that there are a few here that are in the know on many products.
Sure, anything is possible but the idea that Logic X will be crippled like FinalCut X is based on a reaction to seeing what that product did instead of any insightful journalism or critical thinking. In other words, I'd give more weight to LogicX-for-dummies rumours if it were mentioned before FinalCutX was released in June 2011.

If iTunes 11 was released with a Brittany Spears GUI skin and a one-button karaoke mode, then what? We'd see rumours that LogicX will also include an optional Britanny Spears screenset theme and a karaoke mode. Gee... that type of prediction takes zero imagination and is hardly worthy of a cheap blog entry. And, it is often... wrong.

Logic already made a big paradigm shift back in 2007 with the Logic 7 to Logic 8 redesign. The concept of a single main "Arrange" view to hide the complexities of the Environment. They cut the price in half $1000 down $500. It's already 64-bit. It already has dumped the legacy Rosetta compatibility code base. Etc, etc.

Of course the marketplace continue to evolve and there are still paradigm shifting ideas to come. Logic Studio designed for iPad/iPhone would be interesting. Or a built-in collaboration mode with remote musicians (the "cloud") that's more streamlined than export/upload to SoundCloud.com. Lots of interesting predictions can be made that don't depend on superficial observations of FinalCut X.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure, anything is possible but the idea that Logic X will be crippled like FinalCut X is based on a reaction to seeing what that product did instead.
No one, especially me, said anything about Apple crippling Logic. Re-coding doesn't mean crippling.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
No one, especially me, said anything about Apple crippling Logic. Re-coding doesn't mean crippling.
Ok, I'm confused. When people "predict" that Logic X "will be like FinalCut X" or "re-coded like FinalCut X" or "will be messed up by Apple like they did to Final Cut X", what do most of those people mean exactly?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, I'm confused. When people "predict" that Logic X "will be like FinalCut X" or "re-coded like FinalCut X" or "will be messed up by Apple like they did to Final Cut X", what do most of those people mean exactly?
They mean Final Cut was re-coded and now Logic will be re-coded.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
They mean Final Cut was re-coded and now Logic will be re-coded.
...right... and that "recoding" will have what ramifications exactly?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search