The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic Pro X info finally.. per Appleinsider Equalizer Plugins
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason West View Post
...right... and that "recoding" will have what ramifications exactly?
Pro Tools and Waves are being re-coded too. It's not a negative.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopularDemand View Post
Pro Tools and Waves are being re-coded too. It's not a negative.
Lol, you didn't even answer the question.

So what you're saying is that application X is being "re-coded" is on the same level of banality as observing that the next upgrade of application X will have "incremented the version # to be higher than the previous and will have some additional text added to the manuals."

For the "re-coding" statement to have any value beyond the trivially obvious, we need to come up with examples where an application that saw its last release 2 years ago was not recoded. Or, state the ramifications of that "re-coding." Yes, virtually every application is "re-coded" after years of development -- this I agree -- is common knowledge.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason West View Post
Lol, you didn't even answer the question.

So what you're saying is that application X is being "re-coded" is on the same level of banality as observing that the next upgrade of application X will have "incremented the version # to be higher than the previous and will have some additional text added to the manuals."
You are trying to turn the word re-code into trouble and crippling and that's not the case. Pro Tools is being re-coded for 64bit and new features that will be available with the re-coding into Cocoa. Since they are re-coding we all expect advantages like better RTAS efficiency and maybe offline bounce.

Take Final Cut X. A lot of pro features are missing at the moment. Apple says they are coming but we all know it was released prematurely. However, the re-coded Final X has some enormous advantages over the previous version in the areas of efficiency, power, rendering, background processing, etc. Add in the missing pro features in the near future and...

Logic has never been totally re-coded from the ground up. There is still a lot of old Emagic code in there. Neither has Pro Tools or any DAW program I can think of except that new Sonar.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
You are trying to turn the word re-code into trouble and crippling and that's not the case.

If Logic becomes as efficient and uses all the cores and ram as well as FCP X that is a positive that's long overdue.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
You are trying to turn the word re-code into trouble and crippling and that's not the case.
No. To me "re-coded" is a neutral term. It doesn't have negative connotations. But, I'm trying to figure out how it was used in the context of this thread.

I guess I didn't know what work2do earlier in the thread was trying to convey. Was he just restating the obvious? Of course Logic is getting "re-coded" (the non negative connotation usage of that term.)
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
If Logic becomes as efficient and uses all the cores and ram as well as FCP X that is a positive that's long overdue.
Ok, this part I understand. Your reply spelled out the ramifications you had in mind. PopularDemand's post did not.

It's confusing because you replied to dcrigger's comments that were based on the the dumbed-down crippling aspect of FinalCut X. Therefore, I thought all of us were talking about this controversy and not the multi-core rewrite.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

I love the concept around here that an upgrade/update/re-code means that LP is somehow gonna turn into some useless pile of s^it duhh !!!!
Old 8th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gussyg2007 View Post
I love the concept around here that an upgrade/update/re-code means that LP is somehow gonna turn into some useless pile of s^it duhh !!!!
Apple's set serious precedent in that direction, I can't blame anyone for being a bit worried.

That said, hopefully they learned their lesson...
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

If Apple are releasing Logic Pro X only on App Store then you can bet your bottom dollar that this have to be a very slimmed down version of Logic and it's library ..... can you imagine downloading 50Gig through App. Store ? .... I can't so I'm betting they'll be stripping it down a to bare bones APP.

How else would they be able to do it as a download ?
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Logic X may well indeed be a trimmed down affair (in size) with much less content ready for the app store. However, other packs of content will be available separately (on the store). If you have LP 9, you will already have quite a bit of the content anyway.

The re-coding thing is a bit of a blind alley. Every upgrade since V1 of logic has involved some re-working of old code and some new code added. V7 to V8 involved the biggest code change but X will have some existing code changed and some entirely new code, same as ever.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Logic's bundled loops, and samples are OK, nothing I would use on a serious project (never used them when I was a LP9 user). I would rather they skip the extra fat, for better interface, performance, new features, improved synths/Exs24mk3/better implementation of multi-timbral Plug-in Instruments, ...... etc.

Anyways, I stopped using LP9, in favor of Cubase 6, I might entertain using it again as a second DAW, provided I like what they offer in LP-X. Otherwise, Cubase 6 is a great DAW. and will remain my primary production tool.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
Anyways, I stopped using LP9, in favor of Cubase 6, I might entertain using it again as a second DAW, provided I like what they offer in LP-X. Otherwise, Cubase 6 is a great DAW. and will remain my primary production tool.
Cubase user here. I generally agree, unless they implement some of the cooler aspects of Cubase into Logic X ("real" track folders, for instance!).
Old 8th September 2011
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendejo View Post
I've been using Logic since version 7 and the ugliness of it is really getting to me. Naively, as an Apple fan, I expected a lot more...this looks like it came out of Redmond heh
Hey, I came out of Redmond, and my wife thinks I am quite handsome!!!

heh

There was an article last year about the ugliness of the instrument design in Logic, compared to the clean and minimal design of other Apple products. It seems like the design aesthetic that started at Emagic made it into Logic. To me, the GUIs look very 1999.

The instruments and effects in Logic still impress me, from a DSP perspective. There are better sounding 3rd party plugins nowadays, but considering that many of these effects and instruments were designed a decade ago, they have a great sound. I would hope that they keep all of these in Logic X, in order to preserve the sound of legacy projects.
Old 8th September 2011
Tui
Gear Guru

I'd be very happy if they'd only sort out the bugs and provide better multicore support. Fat chance.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

With a bit of a buzz news about LP-X going around, what are the predictions as to when they will release it ? Very soon (Sep-Oct.) ? or are we talking about a couple of months down the road ie. Nov.-Dec. ?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Logic Pro X better damn well utilize to the fullest the quad core technology Apple has been pushing to the public...Garageband Pro will ruin Apple's cred.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post

heh

There was an article last year about the ugliness of the instrument design in Logic, compared to the clean and minimal design of other Apple products. It seems like the design aesthetic that started at Emagic made it into Logic. To me, the GUIs look very 1999.

The instruments and effects in Logic still impress me, from a DSP perspective. There are better sounding 3rd party plugins nowadays, but considering that many of these effects and instruments were designed a decade ago, they have a great sound. I would hope that they keep all of these in Logic X, in order to preserve the sound of legacy projects.
Indeed, I would have used ES2 and Ultrabeat if it weren't for the GUIs that are complete turn-offs that obfuscate their capabilities. I'm hacking up a synth of my own now so maybe I can do better .

I'm a big fan of your EOS reverb, btw.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
Logic Pro X better damn well utilize to the fullest the quad core technology Apple has been pushing to the public..
Is there any definitive answer on Logic's multi-core support. I felt a 9.1.3 to have been better. Is it Logic that needs multi-core support, or do the plug-ins that Logic hosts (or both)?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

I certainly hope for a good new GUI, the current is just ugly and not consistant. And of course most important a very stable and up to date functionlity for midi and audio. And finally, I certainly hope it remains to have the great extra plugs, instruments, loops etc. Some might be old, but still sound very good to me. As a seperate bundle I don't mind, as long as there is some greatness on this available.

But, like the previous releases, all this might end up in expectations that will not be met...

RGH
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
Common knowledge for most around these parts.
Really???

And around which parts would that be? As I assume you don't mean here on GS, I've been here near daily for months and have seen no evidence of this being anything close to "common knowledge". More like total speculation.

So again - how about expanding a bit on this common knowledge - source, specifics, whatever...

Thanks,

David
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post

heh

YEAH! and that company in Redmond that my spouse works at is making me a very wealthy man!

If LPX follows the FCPX model the content will be available as multiple downloads from software update.

Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Apple's Final Cut Pro X Woes Boost Sales of Adobe Video Tools for Mac by 45% - MacRumors.com

Maybe Adobe should make a Pro-Music DAW next. I'm sure they will do a better job than Apple. heh
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
Apple's Final Cut Pro X Woes Boost Sales of Adobe Video Tools for Mac by 45% - MacRumors.com

Maybe Adobe should make a Pro-Music DAW next. I'm sure they will do a better job than Apple. heh
The king of bloatware comes to the rescue.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well, if the interpretation of 're-coded' means "just like Final Cut Pro X", then that would mean -

- Logic Pro X no longer loads projects from previous versions

- Logic Pro X abandons many professional features and file formats

- Logic Pro X no longer supports common professional 3rd party standards

So I think a fair number of music pros would be just as upset about that as the video pros are about Final Cut.

But if 'recoded' simply means that the features have been re-written from the ground up for a 64 bit OS, with new plugins, an updated sampler, and many of the long overdue features Logic has been missing for years, then I'm all for it.

As it is, I still think it's a crime that Logic 9 can't handle multi-timbrel virtual instruments well (no channelized automation), and that Logic 9 can't load projects older than Logic 7. But that's just me!
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Being able to 'select' which settings you want to import from sessions (like PT) would be great too.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

They just re-started selling the old Final Cut Studio, so they know they "pulled the trigger" to early in FCP X and that it wasn't a good move. They should have waited till they had support for at least some of the vital features, and some way to bring projects in from the old version...

Hopefully Logic X will be something special...
Old 9th September 2011
Jam
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerman View Post
Being able to 'select' which settings you want to import from sessions (like PT) would be great too.
Doesn't Logic do that.....
Attached Thumbnails
Logic Pro X info finally.. per Appleinsider-session-import.jpg  
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

• Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jam View Post
    Doesn't Logic do that.....
it does it but it never worked for me.
Always something wrong..... not usable for me
Old 9th September 2011
Jam
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgabrielx View Post
it does it but it never worked for me.
Always something wrong..... not usable for me
Not something I've done often but it's always worked fine here.

James
Old 9th September 2011
I just hope that those that bought Logic Pro Studio (ie with all the apps), when they upgrade to ProX, keep their apps.

Would seem highly unfair to get investors in the software to axe everything to start again.

That said, if they fix the MIDI to Audio timing issue, I'll be happy.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search