The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
McDSP Analog Channel 2 Saturation Plugins
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

McDSP Analog Channel 2

Can anyone who uses a lot of McDSP's stuff help me out here. I recently got the "Classic Pack" and I'm really finding all 4 plugs useful. However I'm having an issue with Analog Channel, particularly AC2.

When "auto" is not engaged, I have no problem with clipping but when "Auto" is engaged, everything clips, no mater how far down I turn the input or output.
I find that there's much more warmth and body when "auto" is on which is why I want to know how I can keep the positive characteristics yet lose the peaks.

Never really had this issue with other plug-ins before so I'm kind of lost.

thanks!
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't think this answers your question , but James Meeker here on Gearslutz PMed me alot of good settings for AC1 and AC2 , here it is ,

"The presets they come with are kind of BS, so I wouldn't really get into those too deep. Maybe scan around to see what you like.

AC1 is a bit of a pain to get just right, to tell you the truth. Ballpark settings for something like an SSL E:

Drive: 2.2
Comp: 3.0
Attack: 3.5
Release: 350

AC2 is much easier to set, honestly. For AC1 they should have had console models in there, rather than giving you comp/attack/release settings.... anyways:

For a good rockin' Studer 827 type of sound:

Roll off: 30hz
Bump: 100
Bias: +1.5
Release: 225
15 ips
Swiss Model
Modern Tape
IEC2 (USA)

For something more 60's vintage:

Roll off: 45hz
Bias: -2.0
30 ips
USA-A
Vintage Tape
IEC1 (EU)

Grind it on there good, or you'll lose your low end from the vintage tape model.

Hope this gets you in the ballpark. This plugin begs/demands you really play with it to see what it does.... Also, keep in mind that if you set stuff "wrong" it can really screw your tracks up! "

" Those are ones I'd use for channels.

Also--on stereo tracks (or busses) ALWAYS use multi-mono... not stereo. It mimics the behavior of a console or multi-track better. (They are, after all, two mono tracks in the analog world.) Sounds better that way... better imaging and separation.

For the mix buss, keep the same AC1 setting although you may want to lower the drive a bit (or fuss with input/output) to avoid overly-distorting the signal.

For the mix buss, I'll often do a few variations of AC2 but the settings I come back to all the time are:

Cutoff: 20hz
Bass Boost: 50
Bias: 0
Japan S model (Sony)
Modern Tape
IEC2 (USA)

Adjust to taste. The Sony model has *MASSIVE* low end. Reminds me of an ATR90 more than a Sony machine. "
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sweet I'm going to check some of these settings out. I don't really use AC1 but I use AC2 all the time. VCC does much better job for me. I have found that the presets are pretty much crap as you have said.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

Excellent thank you! Although I like what these plugs can do they really are tricky to dial in! So this is a big help!
Old 14th August 2012
Lives for gear

Hate to wake up another thread but I figured I'd ask this question here.

Is there anyone who uses Analog Channel 2 on stereo bus & exactly where in your chain?

Thanks,
Fil
Old 14th August 2012
RiF
Lives for gear

I don't use any of them on the stereo bus, but sometimes I am using AC2 on things that need some transient smoothing (vocals, drums). I don't see AC2 as a tape emulation, but more like a fast attacking compressor and EQ (which it is probably).

And I never use "Auto"-gain, because I like to set it in a way where I don't get any volume changes when bypassing/enabling it. "Auto" just does not do this, so I simply set the output gain manually.
Old 14th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
I don't use any of them on the stereo bus, but sometimes I am using AC2 on things that need some transient smoothing (vocals, drums). I don't see AC2 as a tape emulation, but more like a fast attacking compressor and EQ (which it is probably).
I agree. About a month ago I used AC2 last in the chain (w/ Waves L2 limiter before it) on the stereo bus of an xtremely average Hip Hop song. Suprisingly it made the snare really smack hard & sounded really good for the song. Looks like I'm going to have a splurge & buy Slate Digital VTM cuz I'd like an actual tape emulation & convincing effect of tape on my stereo bus since I don't own UAD bundle. If I did I'd use the ATC102 tape plugin all the time.

Last edited by Filthrill; 14th August 2012 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: Grammer
Old 26th June 2017
Gear Maniac

McDSP AC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumBum View Post
I don't think this answers your question , but James Meeker here on Gearslutz PMed me alot of good settings for AC1 and AC2 , here it is ,

"The presets they come with are kind of BS, so I wouldn't really get into those too deep. Maybe scan around to see what you like.

AC1 is a bit of a pain to get just right, to tell you the truth. Ballpark settings for something like an SSL E:

Drive: 2.2
Comp: 3.0
Attack: 3.5

AC2 is much easier to set, honestly. For AC1 they should have had console models in there, rather than giving you comp/attack/release settings.... anyways:

For a good rockin' Studer 827 type of sound:

Roll off: 30hz
Bias: +1.5
Release: 225
15 ips
Swiss Model
Modern Tape
IEC2 (USA)

For something more 60's vintage:

Roll off: 45hz
Bias: -2.0
30 ips
USA-A
Vintage Tape
IEC1 (EU)

Grind it on there good, or you'll lose your low end from the vintage tape model.

Hope this gets you in the ballpark. This plugin begs/demands you really play with it to see what it does.... Also, keep in mind that if you set stuff "wrong" it can really screw your tracks up! "

" Those are ones I'd use for channels.

Also--on stereo tracks (or busses) ALWAYS use multi-mono... not stereo. It mimics the behavior of a console or multi-track better. (They are, after all, two mono tracks in the analog world.) Sounds better that way... better imaging and separation.

For the mix buss, keep the same AC1 setting although you may want to lower the drive a bit (or fuss with input/output) to avoid overly-distorting the signal.

For the mix buss, I'll often do a few variations of AC2 but the settings I come back to all the time are:

Cutoff: 20hz
Bass Boost: 50
Bias: 0
Japan S model (Sony)
Modern Tape
IEC2 (USA)

Adjust to taste. The Sony model has *MASSIVE* low end. Reminds me of an ATR90 more than a Sony machine. "
This helps a lot, didnt use the plugins for a very long time, but thought give it a try again.
Just wondering, if you have any experiences with the waves tape emulations or slate/uad...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search