The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
with regards to protools...what does native mean? Yes I am asking this.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

with regards to protools...what does native mean? Yes I am asking this.

...I really am
Old 7th September 2011
RiF
Lives for gear

The funny thing is that I wouldn't consider the Pro Tools product carrying "native" ("HD Native") in it's name the most "native" one. "HD Native requires a hardware card, while PT 9 (the one formerly known as LE) does everything on your host computer.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
Marketing bs. The only real change I can see is they now support 3rd party audio interfaces and they now sell the software.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

ah I get it now! so that's why pro tools going native was such a big deal... thanks for the enlightenment folks!
Old 7th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Marketing bs. The only real change I can see is they now support 3rd party audio interfaces and they now sell the software.
Well, yes and no.

PT9 (which took over from PT LE) is native processing, as was PT LE (LE just required a hardware dongle, there was no processing being done on DSP).

HD NATIVE is the NATIVE version of the HD product - there's no DSP for processing, but certain processes are handled by the hardware, allowing for HD specific features like input monitoring and low latency monitoring, plus the ability to support higher IO with stability.

It's a little confusing yes, and I can see why it could be hard for those with no direct experience to understand...but there's a very clear difference and different target market for all 3 products.
Old 7th September 2011
Native in the DAW world means that DSP processing (plugins, mix buss) is done on the main CPU (as in Intel, AMD), contrary to dedicated DSP cards such as TDM (Pro Tools) or Soundscape (using their Mixpander or MX4 card for mixing).

While mentioned dedicated DSP platforms also allow native processing (RTAS, VST), these platforms still require their dedicated hardware to run the application and have processing happening on the card.

HD Native is indeed a native solution, terminology wise, since mixing and plugins processing is all done on the main CPU. The HD Native card only processes a low latency monitoring mix, which is not needed to run the software. In fact, HD Native is just a bundle of PT HD software + an interface which is tightly integrated.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search