The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools Question. Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
Pro Tools Question.

Alright, im looking into buying Pro Tools and had a couple questions.

1. I found it online for students at $300, I believe that means no upgrades correct? I currently own the student version of Logic Pro 9 and get no upgrades.

2. Would getting the regular (not student) version be best for me? or should the no upgrades part not be such a big deal.

3. Since lion is out now, and PT9 has been out at least a year now, they will probably be releasing PT10 sometime soon correct? Should I wait for that?
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

If you're not attempting to make money from such purchases (meaning it's just for your own production/recording) I would through the money at some hardware and get Reaper. You can even try it out for free.

/Reaper pimping.

For real though... There are lots of DAWs out there, many of which are great. However, paying clients won't take you "seriously" without a PT rig. It's just the way the world spins.

Good luck.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRillo View Post
they will probably be releasing PT10 sometime soon correct? Should I wait for that?
Only Avid knows when PT10 will be released and they don't tell.
The wait could be long. The only thing certain is that most of us expect it finally to be 64 bit!
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

1. I found it online for students at $300, I believe that means no upgrades correct? I currently own the student version of Logic Pro 9 and get no upgrades.

2. Would getting the regular (not student) version be best for me? or should the no upgrades part not be such a big deal.

3. Since lion is out now, and PT9 has been out at least a year now, they will probably be releasing PT10 sometime soon correct? Should I wait for that?
1. That's a question for your dealer, only they would know the answer. FWIW I bought the Academic version of PT LE v7 about 5 years ago (I'm an educator) and I've upgraded it to PT8 LE, then PT9, full version, without any issues.

2. There were no software/hardware limitations of the Academic version, when I bought it. It was just cheaper, that's all. But again, that's a question for your dealer.

3. If I recall correctly, PT 8 was out for about two years when they came out with PT 9. Maybe it was three, I don't remember. But I'm sure they'll issue many versions of v9.x before they issue a v10... so, do what you like. I don't really see why that would inform your decision one way or another though.
Old 7th September 2011
Quote:

Depends what you're doing with it I suppose. "No upgrades" is quite a big thing..but can't you check with the retailer if that is indeed the case? And you ARE still a student, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by portwine View Post
If you're not attempting to make money from such purchases (meaning it's just for your own production/recording) I would through the money at some hardware and get Reaper. You can even try it out for free.

/Reaper pimping.

For real though... There are lots of DAWs out there, many of which are great. However, paying clients won't take you "seriously" without a PT rig. It's just the way the world spins.

Good luck.
- if the OP is actually a student and hoping to get into this in the pro world, they're doing themselves a disservice by not being as absolutely sh1t hot on PT as they can be, regardless of what is the "best" option for someone.

- paying clients won't take you "seriously" without PT? Nah....most clients won't care. Some may be looking for PT, but they're generally the ones who know a little bit and are the biggest PITAs. That said, if you're collaborating with others, you're most likely going to need access to PT.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogeek View Post
1. That's a question for your dealer, only they would know the answer. FWIW I bought the Academic version of PT LE v7 about 5 years ago (I'm an educator) and I've upgraded it to PT8 LE, then PT9, full version, without any issues.

2. There were no software/hardware limitations of the Academic version, when I bought it. It was just cheaper, that's all. But again, that's a question for your dealer.

3. If I recall correctly, PT 8 was out for about two years when they came out with PT 9. Maybe it was three, I don't remember. But I'm sure they'll issue many versions of v9.x before they issue a v10... so, do what you like. I don't really see why that would inform your decision one way or another though.
I had a slight misunderstanding about upgrades until reading this. I thought upgrades meant random product updates to fix bugs and things. Now that I know upgrades pertains to get the next product I guess getting 9 would be a great choice, I have snow leopard now on my MBP so all should run well.

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

question answered

Last edited by mybrother; 7th September 2011 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: question answered
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
I don't beleive this to be true, clients will come to you if you get them the sound they are after.

I use PT everyday, but I have found these days more bands are asking if I run Logic than PT, but PT is just how I roll I guess. I don't necessarily beleive its the best DAW out there but its the one I know inside out, so it gives me the best work flow.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
Anyone care to explain an ilok?
Old 7th September 2011
Quote:
Anyone care to explain an ilok?
About iLoks - What are iLoks used for?
Old 8th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Seems like a serious PITA,glad I dont have to deal with it......yet.
Old 8th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit View Post
Seems like a serious PITA,glad I dont have to deal with it......yet.
not as much as a PITA as serial numbers/challenge and response if you ask me!
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pies View Post
I don't beleive this to be true, clients will come to you if you get them the sound they are after.
It depends on what kind of clients you have.
In my case about 90% of my clients ask for recording with pt and the majority already have something recorded with pt.
Even the ones who never ever used a daw cause they record their songs in those kind of zoom/roland digital recorders ask me if I can record them with pt. All studios I worked for or recorded my bands had pt so it's easier recording with a daw that allows you to take your music to whatever studio you want.
I have a friend who records almost everything with cubase, he told me when a client asks for pt he tells him cubase is better and easier to get a better sound, of course he's only changing that client direction to cubase cause he prefers working with cubase.
To me pt is easier to use, basic functons are in your face, cubase is complicated cause there are a lot of hidden tiny buttons and if you don't know about them, you can't use even basics functions, I only use cubase when I want to use some synth vsts or superior drummer, when recording a band demo I use pro tools.

In my case pro tools is a need but everybody have their own needs(weeds) lol
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

In my case I tell the client "Yes, I have Pro Tools and we can use that, or I can do the job more quickly in Cubase?"

80% of the time they choose Cubase and I genuinely can work much, much quicker with it.

These days it really doesn't matter what you use, but there are still clients who believe otherwise - if they're paying it's their call.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search