The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nice VU Plugin/Standalone
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Nice VU Plugin/Standalone

Hello

Just a heads up to all those looking for VU meter plugin/standalone.

Index

K
Old 7th September 2011
Finally I have my working VU meter!

Thanks so much Tony from Klanghelm.

My money is coming to you by PayPal tonight.

Below is my original request from 2 years ago.
Do you remember in the 70-80’s when car speedometers had “digital” readouts for awhile. Some had numbers, others used a barograph display. How about digital watches, do you remember them displaying in __:__. Well they have all basically gone away, Yeah! The main reason is that they never had that eye/brain, anticipation/reflection - connection. I know it’s hard to explain, but I’m guessing you all know what I mean.

In the audio world even SSL or Neve consoles that used barograph meters for the individual tracks, still had/have VU meters for the final mix buss outputs. The reason, even in the modern digital world of recording and mixing, is that engineers - can “see” what they are “hearing”. That’s why they're called “Volume Units”.

What I’m looking for is someone to make a proper VU meter plugin, PLEASE. One that can be calibrated for different -dBFS = 0 VU, settings.

Yes, I do know about the [Bomb Factory] - Good VU meters with four useless pre-sets for the modern world of mixing. The [Waves Dorrough] meters used only by some film/T.V. mixers. Unfortunately these are barograph style, also! [IK- Multimedia] new T-RackS-3 suite. Lots of metering options, but NO simple VU meter. [PSP Audio] have a great free VU meter that almost does/did everything. However it doesn’t work on new Intel Mac’s, and I’ve emailed them and they don’t really seem interested in updating it. These were the meters that I used :(. (two years later and PSP still haven't updated there VU meter)

I record and mix ITB now, so I don’t have easy access to a proper set of good old analog VU meters (Neve/SSL). Also to buy and build your own would cost at least a few hundred dollars.

I’m hoping that many of the mixing engineers of this forum, will back me up and express to any designers out there, how important having a good set of “analog” (Volume Unit) VU meters on the output of the mix buss, helps you better understand the real “perceived loudness” of the mix. Also how your mix looks against your “ref” mix, etc.

I’m willing to pay for such a plug-in. Please someone?!
Old 7th September 2011
Just get cakewalk to release a standalone "Pro Channel",its actually pretty good,for those of us that get it to behave perfectly.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search