The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase - Adjusting pitch wheel
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Cubase - Adjusting pitch wheel

Here's my problem.
I'm using a midi keyboard to control some synth vsts.
No matter which value I set my midi keyboard pitch wheel(1 octave higher for example), still cubase record it as only 2 semi toms up or down.
If I try to draw a pitch bend line with that draw tool still it doesn't go over 2 semi toms up or down.
Do you guys know where I set the value of pitch wheel?
I couldn't find any button on my vst synths and as cubase doesn't allow me to draw a pitch bend line over 2 semi toms, I guess I should set it on cubase.
Not?
Thanks
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hi Treva

The answer is

The pitchbend range that you want to adjust is in the VST and not in the midikeyboard.

The KB is only outputting Pitch change Data of 0-127. It is how the target device is responding that is your problem, so go to the VST and find the Pitch bend (RESPONSE) range.

Best regards

Andy
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyspiller View Post
Hi Treva

The answer is

The pitchbend range that you want to adjust is in the VST and not in the midikeyboard.

The KB is only outputting Pitch change Data of 0-127. It is how the target device is responding that is your problem, so go to the VST and find the Pitch bend (RESPONSE) range.

Best regards

Andy
Hey Andy if it's in the vst, why cubase doesn't let me to draw a pitch bend line over 2 semi toms in any midi channel?
I could use a midi channel to control an external sequencer or keyboard so cubase should let me draw a line with any value I want.
Not?

Well I can't find where to set it in Mystic and Spector, probably it's a japanese nerd name lol
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

nobody?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treva View Post
Hey Andy if it's in the vst, why cubase doesn't let me to draw a pitch bend line over 2 semi toms in any midi channel?
When you're drawing pitch bend into Cubase you are not drawing in values of "semi-tones", you are simply drawing in pitch bend data which has a range of +/- 128 steps. How that translates to semi-tones is determined by your synth. If you draw in a maximum value of +128 and your synth is set to have a pitch bend range of one octave the you will get an octave. If you draw in +64 then you'll get a half octave bend, etc. If you want a greater pitch bend range you have to set that on your synth/VSTi. Note that not all synths give you control over pitch bend range, but most do.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparqee View Post
When you're drawing pitch bend into Cubase you are not drawing in values of "semi-tones", you are simply drawing in pitch bend data which has a range of +/- 128 steps. How that translates to semi-tones is determined by your synth. If you draw in a maximum value of +128 and your synth is set to have a pitch bend range of one octave the you will get an octave. If you draw in +64 then you'll get a half octave bend, etc. If you want a greater pitch bend range you have to set that on your synth/VSTi. Note that not all synths give you control over pitch bend range, but most do.
Yeah bro I was thinking about it and I understood it.
So there are some synths that don't give control over pitch bend range!
That sucks
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treva View Post
I could use a midi channel to control an external sequencer or keyboard so cubase should let me draw a line with any value I want.
Not?

Well I can't find where to set it in Mystic and Spector, probably it's a japanese nerd name lol
Treva

Open the Mystic and Spector Windows.

In the top left in dark unhighlighted print it says Pitchbend range and a default value of 2. Click on 2 and there you have the variations in Pitchbend value assignable to that synth. Also remember that Cubase is a bit weird in it's Pitchbend assignment as the values are +/- 8192. Therefore in a wholetone range a semitone value is +/- 4096 (This usually looks like 4095 in the PB Down I think. So if the VST range is 12 Up/Down the +/- value for a semitone is +/-682. Also be careful if you are drawing the data in (as I often do) as resetting the PB value to 0 is occasionally inaccurate as the graphical display allows values of +/- 1 as well as 0 and the lane size/height will sometimes make it impossible to put a value of 4095/4096 in.

Best regards

Andy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search