The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools HD Native versus SSL Alpha-Link with MADI Xtreme64 and PT 9 Audio Interfaces
Old 16th November 2011
Here for the gear

While looking at a bunch of options for my new summing mix rig. I have come up with what I consider the best of all worlds with regards to low latency and IO. A Macpro 8 or 12 core, Protools 10 HD Native, Avid Madi interface, 2 RME M 32 DA's, 1 RME M 16 AD, 2 Speck X-sum line mixers and 1 Dangerous D-Box this gives me a 16 in x 64 out and 70 channels for summing. I have been mixing with 2 MOTU 24io's and multiple digi 192s going into the SSL 9000 for years and was happy, so for my home rig this should be fine The HD Native and Avid Madi interface gives you 64 channels of IO and with the RME boxes, you can achieve the physical outputs with only 2 or build your system up by using a combination of M 32's or M 16's. For me since all I do is mix, I really do not need more than 4 inputs when I am mixing.
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

For what it's worth i was running a SSL/madixtreme combo with pro tools 9 and Cubase on a custom built PC (i7, 12GB RAM, etc...nothing too fancy...cost about 1500 to build myself) and it was UNBELIEVABLY awesome. I have never used HD but it was kinda what i thought HD would be like. Super low latency around 1ms and no matter how may tracks i had going my CPU never went above like 50%. It was ROCK SOLID and sounded amazing!!! I was running a ton of outboard and everything was synced perfectly. I could even track while summing through D-box because latency was so low...it was amazing. Then i went broke and had to sell :( I could imagine that with an 8 core MAC it would be like 5 times better.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search