The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
As of right now what Firewire 800 or USB 2.0 drive is best for audio?
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

As of right now what Firewire 800 or USB 2.0 drive is best for audio?

I've heard 7200 rpm is best for audio.

Thoughts on current state of FW800 vs USB2.0 drives for audio? [With Max OSX 10.6.8]

Smaller drive sizes better [less fragmented]?

Brands?

Be picky and pedantic , it's why I'm posting the question.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

A Firewire stream will not be interrupted by a busy CPU. USB can have hiccups, so you will at least have to set a big buffer, resulting in more delay. So for reliability Firewire is preferred. And yes, 7200RPM will work with more parallel streams.

I prefer disk sizes not too big (faster searching, fewer reading errors), but they seem to grow every few months, while the smaller ones are discontinued.

I have good experiences with the LaCie d2 Quadra disks. Own 9 of them from different moments in time and they all still work fine. The later models have FW400, FW800 (2x), USB2 and eSATA connectors all available on the same disk. Great for max compatibility and daisy chaining.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

True true. Firewire's streaming data though it does have that error checking protocol which theoretically slows it slightly. But at the speed it's going I guess who cares. Any other recommendations?

I'm probably sold on the FW800 idea...

BTW that Lacie D2 quadra drive has an 'enterprise class' version and a regular version. [?]

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search