The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good read on Tape Op: Relax, it's just digital
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
Good read on Tape Op: Relax, it's just digital

Nothing new really but I enjoyed the article
as it does get along with my thought

Relax, it's just digital
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

cool article, &yeah, lots of good points. but however well stated, it did strike as a little reactionary and defensive. (and i'm one to know, believe me. ha!)

the 'side note' bit was kinda below the quality of thought i remember TapeOp having. i think it should be assumed these days that good songs and/or a good performance outweigh any kind of debate about recording technique. is there really anyone who would disagree with that? and say that the song and performance are secondary to how it's recorded?

it just seems like a strawman. doesn't everything come down to that? what does it matter what u do, or what equipment u got, or what tips your magazine has to publish, or what this or that producer says in an interview, cuz it basically doesn't have anything to do with any of that. i think we all understand that just fine and if statements like that actually meant anything, it'd be easy to end almost every argument ever had here or anywhere about recording.

duh...to do good things, one must do things good.

we come to places like Gearslutz and TapeOp to exchange ideas on how to make things work (which overall, the article was doing) and to compare different methods of working. i don't think most people come here cuz they think there's some magic formula that will make a great song. &anyways, if there was one, it's most likely not gonna end up being in the hands of the recording engineer, producer, mixer or masterer. or the artist to a certain extent.

i also think that it's looking a little simplistically at what people appreciate about analog recordings. it's not a fetish for everyone. for a lot of people, that is the way that music sounds. and for a lot of people, it's not. and neither is arguably better. but i don't get the feeling that the writer gets what people actually mean about preferring analog recordings and playback mediums. it's built-in to the definition of music for a lot of people. it'd be like if an alien came down and your favorite color was red. but the alien could see way more ways than we could and they said that red was technically non-existant and that it didn't make sense to like it best cuz, rationally, there's no such thing. and then it showed u this crappy version of how the world 'really' was. that wouldn't do a single thing to change your favorite color. in fact, you'd probably even love red more cuz of the experience.

i know that the article is just defensive cuz it probably seems like a lot of times u get burned at the stake for preferring the characteristics that come naturally from digital recordings. and i think it also did a good job of offering analogies that could help people understand what the writer likes about digital recordings. and it's also fun for some people to be contrary sometimes, gives them some feeling of belief in what they do. but i think the writer should really take their own advice and concentrate on doing good things. cuz that the only way to do things good.

but i really do understand the article, and basically, if i met the writer and talked, i bet we would be saying the same thing...--- use digital, use analog, no one cares, get over it. just do what u want to.
but from the article i just get a tone of trying to lay down reality on some imaginary or, at least, pretty abstract, enemy's head. and it comes off to position him in a place of weakness i think.

and i understand how it would be hard to write an article like that or a post like this without contradicting yourself to a degree, just in the act of actually writing it. ****, i don't know.

oh well, whatever, nevermind.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

actually, now, i'm even just looking at the title of the article and realizing what a war this guy thinks he's engaging himself in.

&it's not a war. unless u wanna fight a bunch of self-imaginary idiots. but chances are u aren't gonna win anything like that. nevermind the idiots. real people aren't threatened about digital. and real people aren't threatened about analog. it's a non-issue unless u are amongst people who are unreal.

so they very title of the article is even giving away it's hallucinatory premise. it's not that digital is a threat or an 'unrelaxing' thing. a lot of people just don't like it. articles like this are insulting, actually. i appreciated it at first, but now i think this writer is a pompous ass. and more into himself than he probably knows.

i'm a pompous ass. the proof is that i just said so. only a pompous ass would do that. that's the most pompous and most assy thing u could possibly do. so i'm not coming down on this guy, but he really is full of himself....Relax, It's Just Digital. jesus christ, what a greasy little monkey.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well English probably isn't his first language, so his frank writing style might make him sound pompous, but the author is Ulrich Wild who has engineered some amazing records and is a huge proponent of digital mixing. He definitely has the work under his belt to back up what he's saying about his experiences and if he has read even a few posts on Gearslutz you can easily see the mentality in his field of work that he's probably had to justify his workflow against for nearly a decade.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

even when i first starting reading this article, i seriously remember checking the date. it seemed it wouldn't have been posted unless it was current, but it read like someone's concerns from the year 2003.

i just gotta wipe my hands of this crap entirely, i wish i'd never read that article. it's so depressing.

people seem to think so much of themselves. &always wanna be definitive somehow.
how old do they go, getting by like that?
god help us, answer man, maybe u can save us from ourselves, big boy.
oh no, here comes big boy!!!

"relax, it's just digital"
"per fax, fists crush midgets slow"
"collapse, exhaust dickless tho"
"perhaps your boss didn't know?"
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

yeah, i've seen that mentality, and i understand it.
it's wrong to say he's pompous and assy regardless of his recording credentials. i actually don't see how any recording credentials back him up in his preference or work against him.

but the best part of the article is that it encourages people to maybe take another look at digital recording and examine it for it's strengths. and exactly as the article says, take those as well as it's weaknesses into account when recording in that medium.

i forgot just now what i actually liked about the article, and basically, that's what it was. not a point that can be made too often, so it's appreciated that the writer did so. there is a certain fetish amongst a lot of people for recording on analog and i get even more irrational about that when i have to deal with it in my real life. it just seems easier to write off on boards like this.

like, ok, that guy just likes to listen to his jazz on vinyl cuz it 'means' more type of feeling. that's just disagreeable to me in a much worse sense than this article, and honestly hits me in a way that i start drawing conclusions to what else it means about us as people.

so i didn't mean to come off like a jerk, it's a good article.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

u know what maybe i'm entirely wrong. i record my own band or friend's bands, so never had to deal with actual 'industry' politics. it could be he really does have a war on his hands, and if that's the case, then i support him. i love digital recording as much as i did analog recording on my 4 track and later on reel to reels i got a chance to use.

and i wish more people did think the way that the writer of the article does. cuz it's actually a fact that most of us don't have the access to own and properly upkeep a good reel to reel and a large enough console for mixing.
so people should be thinking of new ways to do things and how to make the best of this medium, in a way that isn't strictly slavishly tied to how recording used to sound. i'm actually all for everything this guy says, it was just something about the tone that made me go ape on him.
Old 7th September 2011
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

Article is a good read, thread is not.
Old 7th September 2011
It was going so well, until he started mentioning the sound difference in DAWs....
Old 7th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
It was going so well, until he started mentioning the sound difference in DAWs....
Ha Ha He, Which is DAW 1 and What F$%6ing one is DAW 2?,I thought we all agreed this is crap? Oh well,at least someone is actually admitting they put HISS on their recordings!
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
Well yes, the DAWs differences part is bs, I assumed that everyone would skip that as i did :D

I guess DAW 2 with proprietary hw would be PT? whatever
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah, good article, just skip the 8th paragraph.

It looks like Hans Zimmer has a new friend...
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Yeah, haven't we all finally put that to rest? Sometimes people who are really great at making records should stick with that and spare us the mythologizing.

And as for Tape Op itself, don't they have editors who can flag this stuff? I mean it's not like it's Gearslutz, where every erroneous way of thinking has an equal chance of being heard.

-R

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search