The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tightening up a live drum track to a grid DAW Software
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Tightening up a live drum track to a grid

Hey guys/gals, I have a quick question for you. I recently tracked myself playing drums to a song I am remixing. (using 1 overhead mic in my room) I played along to the song off my iphone with headphones on. (I don't currently have any headphones long enough to reach from my 002 to my kit) I then manually aligned the drum track to the session. (pro Tools 8) What I would love to do is tighten the drum track up a tiny bit. I tried messing with elastic audio but it would alter the session's tempo. I found this to be pretty annoying. Is there any way to analyze the transients of this without using recycle or something? It was a solid take, but I am programming some other rhythmic elements around it and want it a little less laid back. I am a total noob when it comes to elastic audio in Pro tools so if that is the best way can anyone give me the quick run down? I was searching for some youtube videos, but couldn't seem to find anything good because they all use pre made loops in them.

Thanks!
Old 6th September 2011
Beat detective. Way better sounding for drums IMO.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

This is a mono recording of an entire kit though. I assumed beat detective was for chopping up/ quantizing individual drum tracks?....
Old 6th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRaX View Post
This is a mono recording of an entire kit though. I assumed beat detective was for chopping up/ quantizing individual drum tracks?....
you can use it on a single track as well.

exactly like you would with recycle.
Old 7th September 2011
One thing's for sure, you don't want to line your drums up visually to a grid.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
right, but I didn't have the capability to track to the session itself so I had to do it half assed playing to a bounce in my iphone then nudging it around in the session to get it as close as I could.
Old 7th September 2011
It can still be edited, but of course its going to be a compromise and might end up sounding un-natural/weird. If you're in a pinch I can edit it for you (at an hourly rate), but it's certainly not the kind of thing where I could type out a guide in 5 minutes.

If you wanna stick to DIY you can check out the Beat Detective chapter in the Pro Tools reference guide. Even if you don't use Pro Tools it will give you the lowdown on editing audio to the grid.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Unless I'm missing something, this is exactly what he wants to do to tighten up with beat detective
Old 7th September 2011
You both missed my point.
I'm advising using your ears, not lining a drum track up to lines on a screen using your eyes.
None of this means you can't tighten up the drum performance, just use your ears and tighten it as little as you can get away with.
I don't know Beat Detective particularly, but all these tools usually give you a guide, and you can move things around based on that guide until your drums sound good, not so they line up.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
You both missed my point.
I'm advising using your ears, not lining a drum track up to lines on a screen using your eyes.
None of this means you can't tighten up the drum performance, just use your ears and tighten it as little as you can get away with.
I don't know Beat Detective particularly, but all these tools usually give you a guide, and you can move things around based on that guide until your drums sound good, not so they line up.
I know what you meant. I'm not a total noob. I spent quite a bit of time nudging the audio around. There are just a few hits here and there that I would like pushed or pulled forward a tiny bit without having to do ridiculous amounts of editing and having to add room tone in between, etc. I figure there was a faster way. Doesn't really matter now I keep getting access violation errors trying to open the session. Stupid DFW.dll. I ****ing hate windows. If I can ever open it back up I will give beat detective another shot. Thanks
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Try starting a new sesh and import session data. If you use beat detective, you can choose how much correction shifting takes place
Old 7th September 2011
Once you've got a feel you like, you can then use beat detective (or do it manually) to tempo map to your "live" drums. You programming can be done to that - so you don't get flamming but it feels human. You can even then use elastic audio to automatically warp loops to fit, and move with the drums through the song. Using these tools as they were meant to be used!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search