The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Big problems with Focusrite ISA 828 and Digi 003 Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

Big problems with Focusrite ISA 828 and Digi 003

Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a Focusrite ISA 828 preamp with an inbuilt digital card and I've been having some very strange problems with it.

I bought this after using a focusrite octopre LE and digital card for about 3 years, with no problems at all, and just wanted to upgrade my front end.

Since trying to use the 828 I've been experiencing a lot of trouble with digital clicks and pops and I'm really at my wits end with it.

I've already sent the digital card back to focusrite once. They had no idea what was wrong, and sent me a new one. They said it was possible that the card's firmware could have been corrupted. I fitted this new card, and for a few days it seemed to be working fine, but these clicks and pops have been coming back with increasing veracity.

It occurs completely randomly when I arm a track, or try to record through the 828. The signal will be clean for maybe 5 minutes, then I'll get a whole load of pops suddenly. Sometimes when I power the 828 on, I will get maybe 3 seconds of continuous noise and crackling, before it settles down to popping every few seconds. It seems to be completely sporadic.

Here's what's going on:

- I'm running Pro Tools LE 8 on a Mac Pro, with a Digi 003+ rack
- The ISA 828 is synced from the 003 via wordclock
- I'm sending 8 channels of ADAT from the ISA 828 to the ADAT input of the 003.
- The 828 indicates it is locked to the external clock of the 003 via wordclock, on the front panel's display.
- The 828 is set to the correct sample rate
- I have tried using the clock from the 828 as the master clock source, and slaving the 003 to it but the same crackling and popping occurs.

- I've been using the focusrite octopre with this same setup for a long time and never experienced any problems. I reguarly use other gear via the 003's SPDIF, so I have no reason to think that the 003's internal clock is not working perfectly.
- I only record at either 44.1 or 48k, in 24 bit. Both sample rates are giving me problems. I've also tried higher sample rates and these have crackling too.

- When i replace the 828 with the octopre, everything works fine again.

Does anyone out there have any advice at all on what i should do? Or has anyone had any problems with this themselves?

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated, this is really causing me a lot of grief. The sound of the pre is just amazing, but I simply can't use it in this state, and I'm having to go back to using the octopre for now. It's causing a lot of problems with sessions and I've already lost a lot of money through having to wait 2 weeks+ for replacement cards to be sent from Focusrite etc.

I apologize if it turns out there has been another thread like this but I have used the search function extensively and found nothing that helps me out.

Many thanks guys! Any advice at all is a huge, huge help.

Nick
Old 9th September 2011
Focusrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntyler View Post
Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a Focusrite ISA 828 preamp with an inbuilt digital card and I've been having some very strange problems with it.

I bought this after using a focusrite octopre LE and digital card for about 3 years, with no problems at all, and just wanted to upgrade my front end.

Since trying to use the 828 I've been experiencing a lot of trouble with digital clicks and pops and I'm really at my wits end with it.

I've already sent the digital card back to focusrite once. They had no idea what was wrong, and sent me a new one. They said it was possible that the card's firmware could have been corrupted. I fitted this new card, and for a few days it seemed to be working fine, but these clicks and pops have been coming back with increasing veracity.

It occurs completely randomly when I arm a track, or try to record through the 828. The signal will be clean for maybe 5 minutes, then I'll get a whole load of pops suddenly. Sometimes when I power the 828 on, I will get maybe 3 seconds of continuous noise and crackling, before it settles down to popping every few seconds. It seems to be completely sporadic.

Here's what's going on:

- I'm running Pro Tools LE 8 on a Mac Pro, with a Digi 003+ rack
- The ISA 828 is synced from the 003 via wordclock
- I'm sending 8 channels of ADAT from the ISA 828 to the ADAT input of the 003.
- The 828 indicates it is locked to the external clock of the 003 via wordclock, on the front panel's display.
- The 828 is set to the correct sample rate
- I have tried using the clock from the 828 as the master clock source, and slaving the 003 to it but the same crackling and popping occurs.

- I've been using the focusrite octopre with this same setup for a long time and never experienced any problems. I reguarly use other gear via the 003's SPDIF, so I have no reason to think that the 003's internal clock is not working perfectly.
- I only record at either 44.1 or 48k, in 24 bit. Both sample rates are giving me problems. I've also tried higher sample rates and these have crackling too.

- When i replace the 828 with the octopre, everything works fine again.

Does anyone out there have any advice at all on what i should do? Or has anyone had any problems with this themselves?

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated, this is really causing me a lot of grief. The sound of the pre is just amazing, but I simply can't use it in this state, and I'm having to go back to using the octopre for now. It's causing a lot of problems with sessions and I've already lost a lot of money through having to wait 2 weeks+ for replacement cards to be sent from Focusrite etc.

I apologize if it turns out there has been another thread like this but I have used the search function extensively and found nothing that helps me out.

Many thanks guys! Any advice at all is a huge, huge help.

Nick
Hi Nick,

Sorry to hear of the issues you've been experiencing. If you haven't already, I recommend contacting Focusrite support here: The Official Source for Focusrite Product Support and Information .: Focusrite Answerbase so that we can look into this in greater detail.

Best regards,

Chris
Focusrite Support
Old 27th October 2011
Here for the gear

i have the same gear isa+ 003, i use adat in/out, this is optical, i think you need to put the hardware sync on protools in optical mode, why you use wordclok sync both ? i only use one cable adat, i put the sync in optical mode on protools and that's it,no probleme, if i forgot to put sync in optical mode ( need to be set manually Has every time) i have same probleme like you: kr kr kr kr etc ... very sorry for my pitifull english
Old 31st October 2011
Focusrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxu View Post
i have the same gear isa+ 003, i use adat in/out, this is optical, i think you need to put the hardware sync on protools in optical mode, why you use wordclok sync both ? i only use one cable adat, i put the sync in optical mode on protools and that's it,no probleme, if i forgot to put sync in optical mode ( need to be set manually Has every time) i have same probleme like you: kr kr kr kr etc ... very sorry for my pitifull english
Please contact us here and we'll be happy to troubleshoot the issue for you:
The Official Source for Focusrite Product Support and Information .: Focusrite Answerbase

Best regards,

Chris
Focusrite Support

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search