The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSD drives
Old 6th September 2011

SSD drives

Hey everyone,

Just bought a 128gb SSD for my macbook pro and tbh... its the best thing I've bought second to the mac itself.

The Computer boots in about 20 seconds and pro tools 9 only takes about 10 seconds compared to about a minute when i had the stock 5400rpm drive from apple. The only thing i have changed is the Hard Drive.

i couldn't urge anyone to upgrade to one more, seeing as i only payed around 150 for it

Brad
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

SSDs are wonderful!
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNerd View Post
SSDs are wonderful!
I'm still waiting for a guitaramp geek saying that Tube Drives would be faster, louder and better hahaha
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

PT9 took you a minute to load?
That seems excessive.
Old 6th September 2011
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenBeat View Post
I'm still waiting for a guitaramp geek saying that Tube Drives would be faster, louder and better hahaha
But that's a fact, SSDs sound more analogue.

Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

When everything is ssd and 3 TB is $79 I'll be all over it.
L.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Nut

How do you make it your boot device. Do you have to reinstall everything?
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

reboot

Yeah you would have to reboot.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenzo View Post
When everything is ssd and 3 TB is $79 I'll be all over it.
L.
Yeah I'm waiting for them to go down in price a bit as well.
Old 7th September 2011
Quote:
haha get out of my head!
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveByLyrics View Post
How do you make it your boot device. Do you have to reinstall everything?
Fit another external drive, set it to time machine (does a mirror copy), change drive, boot up with external drive attached no messing
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK View Post
Yeah I'm waiting for them to go down in price a bit as well.
Prices go down when a better technology appears...
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
But that's a fact, SSDs sound more analogue.

Not true, someone in the world is the developing the Waves Analog 5400RPM experience, because in the future everybody will have "ugly noisesless" SSDs so with that plugin, FOR ONLY $600 you will be able to add some mechanical noise to your records
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Not true, someone in the world is the developing the Waves Analog 5400RPM experience, because in the future everybody will have "ugly noisesless" SSDs so with that plugin, FOR ONLY $600 you will be able to add some mechanical noise to your records
LOLOLOL, I can see it. Waves Analog HD 5400/7200 series, with quotes below the marketing picture:

Pensado: ''Adds a lot of character and glues everything together nicely.''

JJP: ''The real deal!''

CLA: ''It's the closest thing to my analog version that I have found.''
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
It's really an effect of Moore's Law.

Moore's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And yes, I look forward to when 1TB drives are < $100.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
And when compare todays SSD's to SSD's 3-4 years ago they are a lot better. Plus with the new "ultrabook" format and Apple using more and more SSD the prices will be going down even more.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomcore View Post
LOLOLOL, I can see it. Waves Analog HD 5400/7200 series, with quotes below the marketing picture:

Pensado: ''Adds a lot of character and glues everything together nicely.''

JJP: ''The real deal!''

To the guy making the interview: What the F* is an SSD? Is it just the chinese version of my SSL?
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK View Post
And when compare todays SSD's to SSD's 3-4 years ago they are a lot better. Plus with the new "ultrabook" format and Apple using more and more SSD the prices will be going down even more.
Offtopic ALERT!!!!! Are you releasing more Custom Shop models? I really like the Soldano model... Any plans for a Bogner Uberschall??
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm still passing on SSD. I have no issues waiting an extra 40 seconds for my computer to boot up or waiting an extra 30 seconds for Pro Tools to open up. It's not that serious especially given the price point and small storage space. 1TB SSD at $300 and i'm in.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hello,
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I would have a mob outside my door if I started a new thread on such a similar matter...
(Damned if you do, damned if you don't! )

anyways, I'm buying a new iMac i7 soon as an audio workstation (please nobody mention Mac Pros. Top spec iMac > base MP and I dont have the cash to get a mid - top end mac pro, as much as I want one! )

I have the option of getting a SSD put in which I'm very tempted to do. I use some sample libraries, mainly Superior Drummer 2.0 and Kontakt 4 instruments. I would like to get some decent synth samples at some stage too.
I use some Waves plugins, Soundtoys, iZotope as well as stock plugins. I already have a 7200rpm external firewire HDD for tracking and running my projects from. (tracking and projects on the one...this is the norm, yeah?)

What would be the best way to configure a SSD (256Gb) for use? ie...
1 - OSX, Logic and plugins on SSD, sample libraries on other internal 1TB HDD.
2 - OSX, Logic, plugins and sample libraries on SSD,
3 - OSX and Logic on SSD, plugins and sample libraries on internal HDD?

Ive read countless times that its better to run sample libraries off SSD but given the speed of SSD, would it matter if I put the sample libraries and plugins on the same solid state drive as the OSX?

Thanks!
Old 8th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdrum View Post
Hello,
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I would have a mob outside my door if I started a new thread on such a similar matter...
(Damned if you do, damned if you don't! )

anyways, I'm buying a new iMac i7 soon as an audio workstation (please nobody mention Mac Pros. Top spec iMac > base MP and I dont have the cash to get a mid - top end mac pro, as much as I want one! )

I have the option of getting a SSD put in which I'm very tempted to do. I use some sample libraries, mainly Superior Drummer 2.0 and Kontakt 4 instruments. I would like to get some decent synth samples at some stage too.
I use some Waves plugins, Soundtoys, iZotope as well as stock plugins. I already have a 7200rpm external firewire HDD for tracking and running my projects from. (tracking and projects on the one...this is the norm, yeah?)

What would be the best way to configure a SSD (256Gb) for use? ie...
1 - OSX, Logic and plugins on SSD, sample libraries on other internal 1TB HDD.
2 - OSX, Logic, plugins and sample libraries on SSD,
3 - OSX and Logic on SSD, plugins and sample libraries on internal HDD?

Ive read countless times that its better to run sample libraries off SSD but given the speed of SSD, would it matter if I put the sample libraries and plugins on the same solid state drive as the OSX?

Thanks!
drumdrum,

i have a similar set up to you but with a macbook pro and Pro Tools 9,
i have mine configured with OSX, Pro Tools 9 and all of my plugins on the SSD and then my sample libraries on my external Drive, so i would advise option one, seeing as mine works smoothly

Regards
Brad

Last edited by Brad30123; 8th September 2011 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: Spelling Mistake
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad30123 View Post
drumdrum,

i have a similar set up to you but with a macbook pro and Pro Tools 9,
i have mine configured with OSX, Pro Tools 9 and all of my plugins on the SSD and then my sample libraries on my external Drive, so i would advise option one, seeing as mine works smoothly

Regards
Brad
Thanks for that Brad.

do you mind if I ask, would performance be better on an external USB2 HDD for sample work, or left on the SSD with the OS and Logic + plugins?

I would only have 1 firewire port thats already in use for my soundcard which is daisy-chaining my tracking HDD.
Thanks...
Old 8th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdrum View Post
Thanks for that Brad.

do you mind if I ask, would performance be better on an external USB2 HDD for sample work, or left on the SSD with the OS and Logic + plugins?

I would only have 1 firewire port thats already in use for my soundcard which is daisy-chaining my tracking HDD.
Thanks...
Not at all,

the only reason i have my samples on my external is to save space on my ssd (its only 128gb). Performance would be better if they were on the ssd as it has faster read/write speeds that the USB 2.0 drive
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Offtopic ALERT!!!!! Are you releasing more Custom Shop models? I really like the Soldano model... Any plans for a Bogner Uberschall??
We have new ones just around the corner.....Keep an eye on our News section to see them when they are!
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Whut! I have an IDE on my home pc and it boots in under 20 secs mate. w7.

OCZ 60GB Vertex Plus SSD - 2.5" SATA-II - Read.. | Ebuyer.com

Under £60 for 60gb, pretty cheap.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search