The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What drum software do you use? Virtual Instrument Plugins
View Poll Results: What drum software do you use?
Addictive Drummer
32 Votes - 12.65%
Superior Drummer
75 Votes - 29.64%
EZ drummer
20 Votes - 7.91%
BFD
33 Votes - 13.04%
Slate
23 Votes - 9.09%
Ocean Way Drums
3 Votes - 1.19%
Ken Scott Collection
3 Votes - 1.19%
Abbey Road 60, 70 etc
11 Votes - 4.35%
NI Studio Drummer
9 Votes - 3.56%
Other
44 Votes - 17.39%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6th September 2011
What drum software do you use?

It's getting pretty crowded on the drum software marked, so I wonder what people here use.

I mean specifically the "drum kit recorded in a studio with many microphones" type software...not drum machines or loop devices.

Personally I have several, but tend to use one or two of them...so vote for those you use, not what you own.
Old 6th September 2011
Yeah, does Gearslutz allow multiple choices, because most people I know are using more than one, often several.
Old 6th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Yeah, does Gearslutz allow multiple choices, because most people I know are using more than one, often several.
Right...I had hoped it would allow multiple choices...but I don't know if it's possible

If anyone knows how to enable it...please let me know
Old 6th September 2011
Addictive drums over here
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

I use Strike and Slate
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Actually never use...

Matti
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

BFD2 mainly with Slate and (shockingly) Drumcore on occasion. Drum core's samples are just really nice and it's very light on the CPU. But, it's not multi miked and is more machine gunny.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Got most of those you listed and a few you ain't.
Old 6th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute View Post
Got most of those you listed and a few you ain't.
Yeah, me too...got all except Ocean Way on that list, and end up using Superior most of the time.

I forgot to put Mixosaurus on the list...but have never used it. The studio is the same as for NI studio drummer...but I don't know if the people are.

Any other not on the list that you'd care to tell me about?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Reason's Redrum with stock patches does the job for me.
Old 6th September 2011
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey boy View Post
Drumcore on occasion. Drum core's samples are just really nice and it's very light on the CPU. But, it's not multi miked and is more machine gunny.
I already thought nobody was going to mention Drumcore. The only library worth having, IMO (I'm a trained drummer). It's a question of taste. The Drumcore sounds are generally light and natural but probably don't lend themselves to heavy rock.

About the machine-gun effect, I think it very much depends on how you use it. I get some terrific grooves out of it, but then again, I don't program massive tom fills. Also, the audio grooves performed by the likes of Steve Gadd and Sly Dunbar are outstanding.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have and use all of them on your list except the Ken Scott drums. Superior gets the most use overall due to the great engine, e-kit playability and expansion packs.
Old 6th September 2011
CXP
Gear Maniac

Tried BFD but stayed with Drums on Demand (guess it is not really "software")
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Superior drummer always. I love the sound. Very easy to use.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 6th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
I have and use all of them on your list except the Ken Scott drums. Superior gets the most use overall due to the great engine, e-kit playability and expansion packs.
Right...exactly how I feel about it.

The Ken Scott pack was the biggest disappointment ever
Old 7th September 2011
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli P View Post
The Ken Scott pack was the biggest disappointment ever
Hi, Finally someone says something about it, even if it's negative. May I ask why it was such a disappointment?

Cheers
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Superior drummer on my mac. Mostly running the Metal Foundry library. Rarely ever use the Avatar library.
Old 7th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Scott View Post
Hi, Finally someone says something about it, even if it's negative. May I ask why it was such a disappointment?

Cheers
Well...there you go! I say something negative about it...and the man himself reads it

First of all it was because I was looking forward to it, and felt it was a product I'd really appreciate. And I bought it as soon as it came out.

The problems are primarily
1. The Infinite engine is cumbersome and confusing to work with
2. The sample pool is not big enough to be playable on V drums (machine gun galore)
3. The editing is sloppy (some have a click in the beginning...others hang), and the samples are too uneven to sound believable in a track (some will stick out in a bad way so you keep noticing them when the track plays)

I don't understand why it feels like the sample pool is too small...since it's 81 GB.
And it was a pretty expensive product...so I did expect it to run more smoothly.

After all many of us are getting used to very smooth operation on Superior and others...even the NI Abbey Road packs are a lot more easy and intuitive to get ones head around.

Bottom-line is that it has not made it to any of my productions since I got it, and when I have tried, it always starts to annoy me after some time that I recognize certain samples, fills sound odd or machine like or the back-beat feels repetitive.

It's a drag...since I don't doubt that the recordings were pristine, and I really like the idea of this pack.
And must be disappointing for you to have put a lot of time and effort into it...and then only get this kind of feedback.

A Toontrack version of this pack would probably be fantastic...if there are enough hits recorded to make for a detailed version like their Metal Foundry pack.

Cheers
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I use the Joe Barresi Evil Drums on Superior, and it kills in a good way! I was really bummed out that they didn't pick up any other Platinum Samples packs. I was ready to buy everything that came out by Platinum Samples for Superior. To bad all the other packs aren't for the Superior engine. Bummed!
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

EZ drummer ! but mostly drumagog with my own custom samples I mainly record real drummers all the time . Amy electronic stuff i use the Nexus drum expansion .
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Other: NI Battery with mostly homebrew sounds and custom samples.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

One Small Clue's Poise - slightly old skool, straightforward, no frills, and very rewarding due to its lack of whistles and bells. Amazingly simple when it comes to mapping Round Robin samples as well...
Old 7th September 2011
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli P View Post
Well...there you go! I say something negative about it...and the man himself reads it

First of all it was because I was looking forward to it, and felt it was a product I'd really appreciate. And I bought it as soon as it came out.

The problems are primarily
1. The Infinite engine is cumbersome and confusing to work with
Hi, Thanks so much for responding and also for buying it so quickly. Believe me I put more time into this project than anyone will ever know. I'm still working on it in various forms and so comments such as yours are really, REALLY, upsetting.

Do you use any other Sonic Reality software and if so do you run into similar problems with the Infinite engine? I get the impression that it might be an inherent thing and if so there is nothing I can do about that.

As far as your other comments I am looking into them and have already written to Sonic Reality for their response. If I come up with anything I will certainly let you know. I'm so sorry for your disappointment.

Cheers
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I voted for Addictive Drums but I actually use the following:

Addictive Drums
Superior Drums 2.0
SSD Trigger (to augment/replace the kick, snare and toms)
--
MIDI grooves I use EZplayer Pro and the expansion packs from Toontrack and Addictive.

This combo has been working absolutely fantastic in my experience. Also, for those that are considering NI's Studio Drums, in my opinion it is God awful. Came with Komplete 8 and I was surprised at how incredibly bad they are both sonically and performance wise- the midi grooves are programmed I believe (and sound like it)...not played by a real drummer.

Scott
Old 7th September 2011
EZD is enough for me - most times i'll wind up just making a drum kit out of samples in Logic - even more EZ heh
Old 7th September 2011
Quote:
Hi, Thanks so much for responding and also for buying it so quickly. Believe me I put more time into this project than anyone will ever know. I'm still working on it in various forms and so comments such as yours are really, REALLY, upsetting.
I can understand the frustration...and I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Have you tested the final product with V drums? Or used it in any real life scenario?
It's aimed at professional users with that price tag, so it must have been tested by some before release?

Quote:
Do you use any other Sonic Reality software and if so do you run into similar problems with the Infinite engine? I get the impression that it might be an inherent thing and if so there is nothing I can do about that.
No other Sonic product for Kontakt...but have several products from other companies that use Kontakt, and they do feel more integrated and logical.
But no Kontakt based product yet comes close to the Superior engines smooth operation.
Maybe NI's own Studio Drummer will...and I'll find out as soon as it arrives on my doorstep.

Quote:
As far as your other comments I am looking into them and have already written to Sonic Reality for their response. If I come up with anything I will certainly let you know. I'm so sorry for your disappointment.

Cheers
I'll live...I buy most of the products aimed at V drums anyway.
I'm more sorry for your and the drummers effort, not ending up as a better product.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Mixosaurus. Really authentic and sounds better than the majority listed.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey View Post
EZD is enough for me - most times i'll wind up just making a drum kit out of samples in Logic - even more EZ heh
Me too Logic Pro ESX24 or I just go to my standby, E-MU samplers with tons of old samples I've made all loaded up.

Ultrabeat seems pretty cool too I just don't use it much.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Steven Slate Drums as well as Superior and BFD here. It depends on the genre. Most clients tend to like SSD though for rock.
Old 8th September 2011
lxm
Gear Addict

Tried pretty much all of em and NI Abbey are the best IMO. Looking forward to Studio Drummer. How is that BTW?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search