The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What drum software do you use? Virtual Instrument Plugins
View Poll Results: What drum software do you use?
Addictive Drummer
32 Votes - 12.65%
Superior Drummer
75 Votes - 29.64%
EZ drummer
20 Votes - 7.91%
BFD
33 Votes - 13.04%
Slate
23 Votes - 9.09%
Ocean Way Drums
3 Votes - 1.19%
Ken Scott Collection
3 Votes - 1.19%
Abbey Road 60, 70 etc
11 Votes - 4.35%
NI Studio Drummer
9 Votes - 3.56%
Other
44 Votes - 17.39%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th October 2011
Lives for gear

I'm using Superior, BFD, and Slate, not to mention Maschine and Geist.
Old 5th October 2011
Quote:
chrisso: I think realistic midi is the way Toontrack are going. So expect more in the future (like Americana)
Realistic midi might be where Tootrack are going but it's not where they've been

Anyway, hope you're right
Old 5th October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFRfan View Post
Superior works with any of the EZ Drummer expansions & MIDI packs, too. THIS may be a good answer for you. The MIDI is much more sparse. I'm about to pick it up myself.
Also check out our Steve Ferrone (Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers) MIDI library - formatted for BFD, Toontrack, Addictive Drums, Cakewalk Session Drummer and GM

Platinum Samples - Steve Ferrone MIDI Groove Library

Rail
Old 5th October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
Realistic midi might be where Tootrack are going but it's not where they've been
MIne goes back at least a couple of years.
Old 5th October 2011
Old 6th October 2011
Lives for gear

1) Superior Drummer
2) Ocean Way Drums
3) Addictive Drums
4) Steven Slate Drums
Old 6th October 2011
Lives for gear

I'm pretty content with EZ Drummer at the moment - easy to use, a natural feel, good sounds...

Has anyone made the crossgrade from EZ to Superior? And according to you, was it worth the fee?
Old 6th October 2011
I'm using the version of KitCore that came bundled with Acid Pro 7 and I just picked up the Matt Cameron pack for it... I'm pretty much a noob at MIDI and it's still really easy to use, sounds great too.
Old 6th October 2011
restpause
I think I answered this already, but I use MOTU BPM and Poise and sometimes FL Studio. I have a collection of freeware drum samples from off of sample CD's and the internet. It's good to mix and match for a diverse sound.
Old 7th October 2011
Gear Head

I like drummaxx
Old 7th October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Shadow View Post
I'm pretty content with EZ Drummer at the moment - easy to use, a natural feel, good sounds...

Has anyone made the crossgrade from EZ to Superior? And according to you, was it worth the fee?
Not really...only if you have hours and hours of free time to tinker with drum sounds to the nth degree.

Ezdrummer, with new kits/ expansions is all you need if you just want to get-it-done!

SD2 is for your hardcore programmers and tweakers.

Old 7th October 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitfiddle View Post
I use the Joe Barresi Evil Drums on Superior, and it kills in a good way! I was really bummed out that they didn't pick up any other Platinum Samples packs. I was ready to buy everything that came out by Platinum Samples for Superior. To bad all the other packs aren't for the Superior engine. Bummed!
That's because Toontrack charge third party companies something like 10 or 15k to port their libraries. Toontrack should play it smart and open the platform up so it would become the de facto standard drum software, kind of like the way Kontakt is for general samples. I would love to have the ability to load my own samples in Superior as well. Superior 3 maybe?
Old 7th October 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli P View Post
I can understand the frustration...and I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Have you tested the final product with V drums? Or used it in any real life scenario?
It's aimed at professional users with that price tag, so it must have been tested by some before release?

No other Sonic product for Kontakt...but have several products from other companies that use Kontakt, and they do feel more integrated and logical.
But no Kontakt based product yet comes close to the Superior engines smooth operation.
Maybe NI's own Studio Drummer will...and I'll find out as soon as it arrives on my doorstep.

I'll live...I buy most of the products aimed at V drums anyway.
I'm more sorry for your and the drummers effort, not ending up as a better product.

I had the same feelings on Ocean Way and Drum Master 2. Ocean Way was just too limited in round robins and the interface was totally obnoxious (preset saving! you know what I am talking about). Drum masters I though would be cool from the demos but lacked in round robins, with the only ones being way to inconsistent; and sounded lofi in the quality in general.

I haven't tried the Epic Drums though.
Old 7th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
Not really...only if you have hours and hours of free time to tinker with drum sounds to the nth degree.

Ezdrummer, with new kits/ expansions is all you need if you just want to get-it-done!

SD2 is for your hardcore programmers and tweakers.

Thanks, I thought as much.
Old 7th October 2011
Quote:
Thanks, I thought as much.
Well you can use it the same way as EZdrummer, no tweaking, no programming. Of course then you are probably wasting the price difference between the two products.
I use Superior and am absolutely not hardcore with tweaking and programming. Load a kit, drop some included midi on your track and off you go.
'Hours and hours of tinkering' is actually down to the person using the program, far from needed.
Old 7th October 2011
Quite dissapointed with EZ,drag and drop in SONAR X1 doesnt work very well[cant click and drag EZs midi patterns,like you can with SONARs inc.Session Dr3]In fact the included SD3 with Steven Slate "Old Zep" sounds WAY better than anything Ez can do,but Session's only a tiny program.I tried extending it with "Andy Johns kit etc" but its just a tiny download of more midi patterns![?]Could be user error,but no kits??Im going to install my recently aquired"Steven Slate EX" but Im re-installing the WHOLE of X1 after Bug upon Bug from the X1 "Expanded"!!!!Also S.Slate must be used with N.I.s "Kontakt"[not looking forward,after buying Komplete "Elements" $59 and the included[Lite-very]Abbey road drums were VERY weak sounding as well as using MIDI with the K.Elements seems so convoluted and irritating.I guess Im just "venting" after the $79 SONAR Expanded has FU#%$D my whole X1 Producer experience, with the most dismissive USELESS email from cakewalk's so called "support"!!!I wrote a long very detailed report of the horrors "Expanded" introduced, and THEY replied with NOTHING more than a link to download X1c!!!![you cant even install expanded WITHOUT having bloody X1c!!!!]Ive had X1c since it was FIRST available so WTF!!....Just a fob off,lazy waste of time! A real shame as X1 could be the best if it wasnt so BUG infested and UNSTABLE.Im thinking of ditching and going too???????Cubase???Fu&k I hate computers sometimes!tutt P.S.also EZ is 32 bit ONLY! Why is so much stuff 32bit only? EZ in Australia was more- $165, more than 1/2 of the WHOLE of X1! I moved the .dll to a folder for both 32 AND 64 plugs,it[GUI] now shows up in 64,but the actual SOUND [meter mb in lower right ] shows ZERO in 64bit X1,so NO sound,lame!Im betting theSS EX is the same[no 3rd party plug products EVER admit-32bit only.....]One great[if it works]is the Steven Slate DVD box was $27 from Mus.Friend! buuut...$34 POSTAGE!!!! no alternatives allowed..hilairious,took less than 3 days to Australia.The world and me is MAD!..just very,very differently so!LOL
Old 7th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Well you can use it the same way as EZdrummer, no tweaking, no programming. Of course then you are probably wasting the price difference between the two products.
I use Superior and am absolutely not hardcore with tweaking and programming. Load a kit, drop some included midi on your track and off you go.
'Hours and hours of tinkering' is actually down to the person using the program, far from needed.
I actually like the restrictions EZ Drummer imposes, but if I need to tweak something, I usually just do it after I've exported to wav.

My only gripe with EZ is how long it takes to load at higher sample rates (I'm at 88.2)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit View Post
I gave up on deciphering your post after the third line, sorry...
Old 7th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit View Post
Quite dissapointed with EZ,drag and drop in SONAR X1 doesnt work very well[cant click and drag EZs midi patterns,like you can with SONARs inc.Session Dr3]In fact the included SD3 with Steven Slate "Old Zep" sounds WAY better than anything Ez can do,but Session's only a tiny program.I tried extending it with "Andy Johns kit etc" but its just a tiny download of more midi patterns![?]Could be user error,but no kits??Im going to install my recently aquired"Steven Slate EX" but Im re-installing the WHOLE of X1 after Bug upon Bug from the X1 "Expanded"!!!!Also S.Slate must be used with N.I.s "Kontakt"[not looking forward,after buying Komplete "Elements" $59 and the included[Lite-very]Abbey road drums were VERY weak sounding as well as using MIDI with the K.Elements seems so convoluted and irritating.I guess Im just "venting" after the $79 SONAR Expanded has FU#%$D my whole X1 Producer experience, with the most dismissive USELESS email from cakewalk's so called "support"!!!I wrote a long very detailed report of the horrors "Expanded" introduced, and THEY replied with NOTHING more than a link to download X1c!!!![you cant even install expanded WITHOUT having bloody X1c!!!!]Ive had X1c since it was FIRST available so WTF!!....Just a fob off,lazy waste of time! A real shame as X1 could be the best if it wasnt so BUG infested and UNSTABLE.Im thinking of ditching and going too???????Cubase???Fu&k I hate computers sometimes!tutt P.S.also EZ is 32 bit ONLY! Why is so much stuff 32bit only? EZ in Australia was more- $165, more than 1/2 of the WHOLE of X1! I moved the .dll to a folder for both 32 AND 64 plugs,it[GUI] now shows up in 64,but the actual SOUND [meter mb in lower right ] shows ZERO in 64bit X1,so NO sound,lame!Im betting theSS EX is the same[no 3rd party plug products EVER admit-32bit only.....]One great[if it works]is the Steven Slate DVD box was $27 from Mus.Friend! buuut...$34 POSTAGE!!!! no alternatives allowed..hilairious,took less than 3 days to Australia.The world and me is MAD!..just very,very differently so!LOL

For several reasons I haven't read all in your post, men I can say that I also use Toontrack products (Superior) and SONAR X1 and never have problems. Longshot: have you gotten hold of "jbridge" - that tiny helpprogram that acts as a bridge between 32bit'plugs and 64-bitenvironments? Should'nt be necessary with new SONAR, but still...
Old 7th October 2011
Shouldnt be necessary are the operative words for sure! I was told I wouldnt need it!?...Im now on my 5th TOTAL re-install! Such FUN, FU%$ Everything!!!..........Ill give it[j-bridge] a wirl[?]if I EVER get X1 to work again, THANKS.
Old 7th October 2011
Quote:

I gave up on deciphering your post after the third line, sorry...
Give it another try,it's not TOTALLY insane,just a large TAD[?]very much like the LAWS we have to live by............
Old 7th October 2011
Gear Nut

There is a 64 bit version of ezdrummer
Old 8th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandaddy View Post
There is a 64 bit version of ezdrummer
+1, I use EZ Drummer on Windows 7 / Cubase 5 64 bit all the time.
Old 9th October 2011
Lives for gear

This changed my life and made it so much easy

Acoustic Drum Loops and Drum Tracks | Drums On Demand
Old 9th October 2011
Lives for gear

Superior (as has been mentioned) has a fantastic engine and works really really great with V Drums (As someone mentioned already that's the downside of the Infinite Player) so it's my first choice when it comes to playing stuff into the DAW. other than that I use a mixture of all kinds of stuff (BFD/Addictive/EZ/Drum Masters/Drumasonic) when it comes to programming depending on what sound I'm looking for (bass drum from BFD and snare from Addictive etc). Using Superior as a drum engine much like Kontakt is a pretty cool idea. I like the Drum Masters stuff (A nice spectrum of kits) and would probably use them more but I also dont't like the convoluted set up in Kontakt
It's kinda strange that nobody mentioned Drumasonic as they are not that bad actually.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search