The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ease of use - Melodyne or Auto-Tune? Dynamics Plugins
Old 7th September 2011
  #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcfarlane View Post
Curiously, what sample rate and bit depth are you using in the DAW when Melodyne damages the high end? I have a session booked today, I'll try bypassing to see what I hear. I typically run 48K and 32 bit float, although I've never looked at Melodyne's intermediate files to see what they are...
Usually just 24/44.1, but I'm sure I've had it at higher and heard the same thing in the past. Someone explained to me once that it's to do with the different way it approaches the correction.
Old 7th September 2011
  #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88fingerz View Post
This statement couldn't be further from the truth.
How about IMHO melodyne is a PITA to use? There are just glaringly obvious things, simple graphic design type of things, that would make it so much easier. It's not like I don't know it in and out. It's that it's too simple actually. They need to have more options to see both what you're doing now and have a record of it. I mean ig you think of a modern DAW interface, and at a glance how much information it shows you, and then you look at melodyne and its like a software from 15 years ago. When I say PITA I mean to do be a real power user of it. To ho hum it and change a couple things here and there it's cake. To get it perfect though, and manage every syllable of a pop song It's a PITA and doesn't have to be. I understand they wanted to make it look not intimidating but they needed at least some different colors, and cents changed values on the events.

To say someones OPINION is wrong and not address anything from their examples is just a troll move. IMHO.

.
Old 8th September 2011
  #33
Gear Maniac
 
evilberg's Avatar
 

You should maybe check out Waves tune also. It´s a great plugin, which has become my go to pitch correction tool.
Old 9th September 2011
  #34
Gear Addict
 
Lackatee's Avatar
Waves Tune is highly underrated and/or overloooked. Best of all of them IMO. I don't even bother with the other two anymore. And it's $99 bucks. A lot cheaper then the other options.

I did use Melodyne for quite awhile and it did the job. But one of the things that REALLY sucked about Melodyne, for me, was the fact that is creates its own files. This is a pain in the ass for several reasons. Transfering an unfinsihed tuning job to another computer is gigantic hassle. I won't even go into detail about how those files it creates sound different then the audio it recorded it from.

Waves Tune or bust!
Old 9th September 2011
  #35
Lives for gear
 
gussyg2007's Avatar
I stick AT on ...listen through the performance for any of those AT "artefacts" then I fix the warbles in melodyne ,you end up with a pretty transparent vocal
Old 9th September 2011
  #36
Gear Maniac
 
evilberg's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackatee View Post
Waves Tune is highly underrated and/or overloooked. Best of all of them IMO. I don't even bother with the other two anymore. And it's $99 bucks. A lot cheaper then the other options.

I did use Melodyne for quite awhile and it did the job. But one of the things that REALLY sucked about Melodyne, for me, was the fact that is creates its own files. This is a pain in the ass for several reasons. Transfering an unfinsihed tuning job to another computer is gigantic hassle. I won't even go into detail about how those files it creates sound different then the audio it recorded it from.

Waves Tune or bust!
Old 9th September 2011
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Mikey MTC's Avatar
 

Any system that allows you to alter time (Melodyne, AutoTune 7 in tie mode) HAS TO CREATE ITS OWN FILES. If they're going to manipulate audio external to the audio coming off your DAW they need to have their own copy.

At least now the new Melodyne automatically creates a folder and stores its files in with the session you're working on so you can copy it all over easily if need be. In the past Melodyne would default its files on the system disk somewhere, unrelated to the location of the session. Crazy!
Old 10th September 2011
  #38
Gear Nut
 
Leechlife's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilberg View Post
You should maybe check out Waves tune also. It´s a great plugin, which has become my go to pitch correction tool.
mmh, I do have Waves Tune, Autotune and Melodyne.

What really really sucks about Waves Tune is that it only works with a fixed tempo. That alone makes this plugin nearly unusable.

Melydone does support tempo changes, not sure about Autotune - haven't used it in a while.

Wave tunes sound very nice imho, but I can only use it on songs with constant tempo, .... so little use there.
Old 19th September 2011
  #39
Lives for gear
 
88fingerz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishMusic View Post
How about IMHO melodyne is a PITA to use? There are just glaringly obvious things, simple graphic design type of things, that would make it so much easier. It's not like I don't know it in and out. It's that it's too simple actually. They need to have more options to see both what you're doing now and have a record of it. I mean ig you think of a modern DAW interface, and at a glance how much information it shows you, and then you look at melodyne and its like a software from 15 years ago. When I say PITA I mean to do be a real power user of it. To ho hum it and change a couple things here and there it's cake. To get it perfect though, and manage every syllable of a pop song It's a PITA and doesn't have to be. I understand they wanted to make it look not intimidating but they needed at least some different colors, and cents changed values on the events.

To say someones OPINION is wrong and not address anything from their examples is just a troll move. IMHO.

.
I believe I wrote what I wrote WITHOUT calling you a name. So you feel "different colors" are what's keeping you from operating comfortably within the Melodyne environment?
Old 20th September 2011
  #40
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88fingerz View Post
I believe I wrote what I wrote WITHOUT calling you a name. So you feel "different colors" are what's keeping you from operating comfortably within the Melodyne environment?
Never said you called me a name. I was referring to that you said I was wrong about an opinion. You wrote just one sentence calling me wrong and didnt even address any examples i said or why i was wrong. Sounded like baiting to me. The colors thing sounded like a dig as well, seeing as I gave alot more examples than that. I can accept disagreement within a discussion. That's what a forum is supposed to be. Blurting out one line of "your wrong" and only saying that. lol is just annoying. I like differing input, I don't like baiting.

I was talking about many aspects of the user interface, and yes colors are part of that. Melodyne is basically a midi piano roll style editor for audio. The colors help you at a glance see all the "F#"s for instance. My bigger issues are not having a good gauge for the amount off center the events or the pitch line is without clicking them individually. It needs a set of horizontal ruler lines like those along a meter displaying cents. It should also contain at a glance info about how much an event's pitch has been altered to help you remember how far you have taken an event from its original postion. There are quite a few other things user interface related. I mean look at PT or Cubase and the amount of pertinent info they show. Melodyne has the primitive interface of a 15 year old DAW. IMO.

I'm not saying I'm not comfortable with melodyne because of colors or anything. It's still good, and I'm a beast with it actually. I'm not talking about fixing 1 note or 5. I'm talking about going into a pop song where it needs to be absolutely perfect with no artifacts and manage every single syllable of an entire song and microfixing 95% of them. I have created perfect pitch performances out of way imperfect singers with no artifacts but it takes 4-5 hours for a single lead vocal. It doesn't have to. I find myself doing megacomping for perfection instead but, there is a perfection in pop songs that is almost impossible without "help"
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump