The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digital Summing: Pro Tools vs. Logic vs. Nuendo vs. Reaper vs.... UAD? ;) Saturation Plugins
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

Digital Summing: Pro Tools vs. Logic vs. Nuendo vs. Reaper vs.... UAD? ;)

I got a question for the experienced audio engineers.

Do you find a difference when bussing in Pro Tools, Logic, Nuendo or Reaper?
I would love to know what did you find.

On a similar subject, getting into a more mature age in digital audio processing, with brands like Waves & UA achieving great results emulating analog gear. I'm sure they can come up with a mixing bus emulation of any console. Just imagine: routing the outputs of the tracks in Pro Tools to a Neve 88RS mix buss, controlling crosstalk and other things.

Somewhat like Harrison and Ardour.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matiasoy View Post
Do you find a difference when bussing in Pro Tools, Logic, Nuendo or Reaper?
Oh no, here we go again. Nothing wrong with your inquiry here, but...

There are several recent threads on this very subject.

Here's the deal. The output of all sequencers will null, which means that in their stripped-down, basic form, all sequencers sound identical. Assuming that all of the faders, including the master bus, are at the same level, the pan laws are the same, and there are no inserts/plugs/audio processing etc, all sequencers will null.

Now, there are certain people who will say, "well, when I do a project in Logic, add eqs, compressors, and reverbs all over the place, and then try to do the same exact thing in Cubase with identical settings on all of the plugs, and Logic sounds better". Ok, maybe - the plugs are not the same. Are Logic's native plugs better than Cubase's? Maybe, maybe not. Also, different sequencers have different methods of processsing audio - a good example would be time stretching algorithms. Once you start using plugs, and processing audio, that will affect the way your mix sounds. But bear in mind, that has nothing to do with the sequencer's audio engine, and the way it sums; native plugs and internal audio processing are not part of the sequencer's audio engine and summing algorithm. So, you might be able to hear a difference from one sequencer to another once you add native plugs, start to eq, etc. How much of a difference? Hard to say. But if you are talking strictly summing - there is no difference whatsoever.

Cheers.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

All audio software apart from the obvious (Harrison Mixbus) add audio together in the same way with the same results. You don't need to think/worry/bother with that

Regarding the emulation of analogue mixers, there are already lots of products available such as Slate VCC, AirWindows Console (and others), Sonimus Satson, Sknote Stripbus, ... etc ...

You need to do some searching because this topic comes up literally constantly and has been done to death. This thread is likely to just get all hot and bothered because of that ...

Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

Hahahaha, thank you so much for your help, guys!

Before writing this, I searched for the same topic but didn't find anything that could answer my question this good. i guess I have to work on my searching skills

You both gave me really good info!
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

watch for VCA´s in PT9 with CPTK2
cheapest VCA console on the market till today

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search