The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MBox 2 - Distortion When Monitoring Audio Interfaces
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear
MBox 2 - Distortion When Monitoring

My apologies if this specific question has been answered already.

I have an Mbox 2 outputting to my brand new JBL LSR2325Ps via balanced 1/4" cables. All I'm doing at the moment is listening to my computer audio (iTunes and Rdio to be exact) and I'm getting slight distortion during playback, as if it was being compressed coming out of the Mbox.

This problem is occurring through the monitor output as well as the headphone output, so I'm wanting to rule out the speakers.

Being I was monitoring through some crappy Samsons before, I may have overlooked this sound thinking it was just the nature of the beast.

Please note: this is just monitoring computer audio, not even through Pro Tools itself.

I have a Mac Book Pro running OSX 10.6.8, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory, Pro Tools 9.0.3.

Help?
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear
One issue is The Mbox 2 does not have balanced output jacks. Regular tip sleeve instrument or 1/4 to RCA cables is all you can use.

You could be overdriving the inputs and have the speakers turned down too low.
(Gain stage issue) experiment with the volume on the speakers all the way up and volume on Mac turned down or vice versa. Don't know if there are any software settings applicable to the Mbox regarding selecting line level out parameters?

Check your itunes settings to insure you don't have some audio enhancement setting(s) or EQ turned on
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear
I've tried that (turning my speakers all the way up, using the monitor volume knob on the MBox to control) as well as going into the Audio MIDI Setup changing parameters, to no avail. It's like I hear a song, in the chorus, the vocal is slightly distorted when they sing higher than normal. Along with the distortion, there are random little pops and clicks in the audio, only noticeable when you really listen. But none when there is nothing playing.
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

problems?

maybe its a hardware problem with the mbox?
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear
That's what I was thinking (and hoping against). I haven't seen any threads with this problem, hearing pops/clicks/slight distortion outside of Pro Tools. I guess I'll see the return policy. Oh brother.
Old 23rd January 2012
Here for the gear

Was this issue resolved? I have the same problem, except for the fact that I have a Tascam US-144 MKII.

Last edited by MistahKurt; 23rd January 2012 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: Forgot to include that they were MKII
Old 16th February 2017
Here for the gear

OK my mbox 2 starts off working just fine playing back everything and recording no problem! But a couple mins into the session the sound gets all muffles and static and the volume levels on the grid peak when originally played the first time they weren't leaking and so loud! It plays good then starts messing up all the sound how do I fix this!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search