The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Interface upgrade questions Audio Interfaces
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

Interface upgrade questions

Ok so I'm thinking about upgrading my interface, I'm currently running an aurora 8 into a digi003 via adat with PT9 software. I'm limited to 24/48 with this setup and would like to have 24/96 as an option. I also would like to have a min of 12 analogue inputs as I record drums though usually I use 8 as I want to avoid 003 pre's and conversion.

Some of the things I'm thinking and questioning are:

1. Sell the current setup and get a UFX or similar (would this be step up, down or sideways?)
2. Wait with what I have until Tb devices start to appear and see what are the options then and see if avid will bring out a comparable featured 003 but with better quality pre's and conversion
3. Try and sell the 003 and trade the aurora 8 for a 16 with USB card and get a Coleman monitor controller?
4. Sell the lynx now (really worried that with new avid hd interfaces they'll go down in value pretty quick) work with the 003 for time being and then see what TB brings?

I'm not in a rush but I'm afraid the longer I wait the value of the lynx might go down especially if they bring out a new version? Should I sell it?

Please Any advice would be appreciated, thanks
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Head

Anyone?
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

UFX is great, try it.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomcore View Post
UFX is great, try it.
Thanks for the comment, appreciate it!

Do you know how it plays with PT9?
Do the converters compare to the lynx?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

if you're worried about your gear depreciating/losing value, you shouldn't buy any. EVER. Also, you can only be on the cutting edge of technology for the blink of an eye because it evolves so quickly...so buy good stuff and use it til it needs replacing.

my advice is to get rid of the oo3 and standardize with 16ch of the same converter.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooz View Post
if you're worried about your gear depreciating/losing value, you shouldn't buy any. EVER. Also, you can only be on the cutting edge of technology for the blink of an eye because it evolves so quickly...so buy good stuff and use it til it needs replacing.

my advice is to get rid of the oo3 and standardize with 16ch of the same converter.
Thanks kooz, yeah I agree about the depreciation advice, that's what I've come to learn finally and why I'm asking now, I just want to get 12-16 channels that work with good quality that I can run for a number of years until they die... Hmm selling the lynx, 003 and getting a ufx maybe the way to go since I'd probably break even or even do a little better.

Anyone compare lynx converters to ufx? Is ufx working ok with PT9? How does it work not having the low latency avid mode?
Old 6th September 2011
I was waiting for Thunderbolt devices, but there doesn't seem to be much hope and it's probably going to be expensive.

I'm now waiting for this ...

RedNet - Digital audio system
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
I was waiting for Thunderbolt devices, but there doesn't seem to be much hope and it's probably going to be expensive.

I'm now waiting for this ...

RedNet - Digital audio system
Looks interesting, to be honest I don't even care if it's not Tb, I'd be happy with a FW device, something like the 003 in terms of features and io but with the quality of the new avid devices. I think for 16io FW is cool. I wish you could get the avid hd interfaces to work with PT9 on a MacBook via FW or something
Old 7th September 2011
great gear that gets results will always be worth something.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanestoner View Post
great gear that gets results will always be worth something.
I agree but I read some interesting comments on here that Lynx is not working smoothly with HDNative ProTools so I'm wondering if things like that will bring down their value, that's all, I personally think they're great.

I'm actually now thinking about getting an RME UFX and Keeping the Lynx too, that would give me 16 good channels - probably better quality than I can justify in a project studio
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

What's your budget for these upgrades...that may help steer you in the right direction to begin with. If you need more than 8 channels, you're looking at 16 channels, and trust me, you'll grow into them. I started at 16 and have grown to 24 and am looking at 32 or more in the not too distant future.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

Around €2-3k I don't mind waiting to save as I think buy nice so ya don't buy twice, budget could increase if I sell the lynx, would love to go PT HD but I can't really justify that as its a project studio and it would involve getting a mac tower to fit the native card... You can see my current gear in my signature in the original post, picking up royer 101, At4033 and cade100s next week to add to current mics, I also have a stereo pair of Coles and tube mic on the purchase list for the future... The mic purchases are additional to the budget mentioned, planning on getting my bulk of gear over next two years..

Hmm, the more I look at the ufx the more I like it, I could run 22 analogue channels 24/96 using it if I kept the lynx and got either an api2d or a 1073dpd along with 8 channels of dav... I'm just a little nervous as I've never used a non avid interface and worried about latency..

Thanks for all the feedback so far btw!
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooz View Post

Hey Kooz, thanks been thinking about this I think you're right I would like to have 16 channels of the same converter, what ever way I look at it this means selling the lynx too as it would be cheaper to shift it and get 16 lynx (if I go lynx) than buying a second aurora 8.

Cheers
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Head

Little update, I've done a lot of thinking on this, I've decided for the time being to get an API AD2 - this will give me 10 channels of good conversion for the time being. I'm going to hang out for a little and get either an RME UFX or Metric Halo - I will then sell the lynx and 003 once I've decided which. I've decided to settle on 10 Pre's - in all reality I can't justify more (sorry not very slutty!)

Thanks to everyone for all the advice
Old 11th September 2011
The 003 is pretty boss. I would suggest a major upgrade if you want to get rid of it, not just a crossgrade
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanestoner View Post
The 003 is pretty boss. I would suggest a major upgrade if you want to get rid of it, not just a crossgrade
Do you think the Ufx or metric halo is a crossgrade from the 003? From what I've been reading it would be an upgrade??
Old 12th September 2011
You are correct, I spoke too soon. I just checked them out and yes, I do suggest moving on to the UFX. The only reason I would use Avid hardware is for the converters, but from my experience RME makes top-notch stuff.

That UFX unit looks great!
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
haven't compared the UFX to a 003. When compared to my mbox 2 it is WAYYYYYYY better.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search