The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mobile solution to replace desktop Audio Interfaces
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

Mobile solution to replace desktop

Hi,

Got a quick question to ask - I'm looking to get a more mobile solution to my setup. At the moment I have a desktop with a LynxTwo soundcard but move around a fair bit so would prefer to get a laptop/mobile soundcard. I don't want a Mac as they are so expensive and don't think I need it for what I want. I heard Lenovo T61s are good but not sure if quick enough for what I'd need:

All I need to be able to do is run Ableton Live with about 10 tracks max, quite a few FX etc and to be able to record synths and guitars/maybe vocals one at a time. I'd like to also be able to route stuff thru outboard kit and back in again afterwards so I'm thinking 4 outs and 2 ins. Was looking at RME babyface as I don't want a drop in quality from the Lynx I have now.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 5th September 2011
Cause youre going babyRME,Any good i7 2630QM and UP,- W7 Lap will work,Im using a Dell xps L502x with that CPU and its suprising for $1200[Aud,always more in Australia]but If I was doing it again Id go Higher on the cpu[i7 2720qm,i7 2820qm or i7 2920XM-highest rated mobile chip/all sandy bridge/revision2 quad core]some people will tell you i5 quad is fine,but I would always get as much cpu and RAM[I have 8GB] as can afford.I was lucky as I had little idea[still learning,thats for sure]and SONAR/REAPER/Live 8.25 all run fine,forget firewire unless ADK/apple.By now[for 2011] theres plenty to choose.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

If you can get it for super cheap, go for it. Otherwise go with an i5 dual core. i3 dual core would actually be fine, but I wouldn't drop cash on a single core, personally.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

I just want a laptop that is stable with no dropouts and can handle a few tracks of heavy processing without getting worn out really, I only chose Lenovo because they are meant to be reliable.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search