The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
HD Native really Works!
Old 22nd July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott petito View Post

I am suggesting or implying that tdm may be creating some of the rtas logjams by increasing voice count use and therefore also robbing the hd cards for other duties like running more plugins....
Also check out the delay compensation on a track in tdm mixing rtas and tdm the comp hit is higher! Than the same plugging report in native system this should have nothing to do with which mac we talking about... And is a mystery to me unless there is something in the tdm coding that is causing this
This.

I've been curious about this also. I've seen it on the same Mac Pro going back and forth between TDM & Native(not the Native Card) using the exact same RTAS plugs on both. The ADC numbers appear to total lower on the Native session.
I've pulled the HD card though so i don't have a current screenshot of it but it is true I believe.
Old 26th July 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by amost View Post
This.

I've been curious about this also. I've seen it on the same Mac Pro going back and forth between TDM & Native(not the Native Card) using the exact same RTAS plugs on both. The ADC numbers appear to total lower on the Native session.
I've pulled the HD card though so i don't have a current screenshot of it but it is true I believe.
Indeed. TDM plugins always add a bit of extra latency beyond the plugin latency. As an example, here is a Waves plugin latency table: Wavesupport | Tech Specs | Latency Chart

If you are using RTAS on a TDM system, there is extra latency added to buffer the audio between the TDM cards and the CPU.

Alistair
Old 27th July 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rea View Post
as someone who is considering adding PTHD to my logic pro/symphony setup, please help me understand:

do you attribute the power of the HDNative VS. HD3 to the new computer or is it a completely different architecture for utilizing the host?

because otherwise it is true that the HD3 should be able to utilize both the TDM cards AND the Host power which must be more, certainly not less...

please help a PT newbie understand this.

THANKS!!
I can't answer for Scott, but I have also made the switch to native from HD4, my guess would be that when you eat rtas voices it's basically the same as monitoring a live input...IE 2 buffers are used, one to the cpu and one from it. And two voices are used (per mono track). So if 192 voices are being used to send audio tracks to and from the processor, that would be the same as monitoring that many inputs (er 96) the whole time (eating cpu cycles). If you set you host buffer in TDM land low, this eats a lot of cpu.

For a logic user it could be considered to be similar to the resources used to bridge 32 bit plugs, the result (compounded by 192 voices) is that you might have a net loss using rtas "out of order" in TDM compared to native.

My experience is pretty much the same as Scotts, where HD|N in my use (where I regularly needed rtas on aux or after tdm) significantly outperforms HD4 and in my case on a 875k hackintosh (where I could use both side by side) I could do a little better with VI projects running native (assuming mem servers for kontakt/omni). But someone who strictly abides by no rtas on aux or post tdm might fare better there.
Old 27th July 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Indeed. TDM plugins always add a bit of extra latency beyond the plugin latency. As an example, here is a Waves plugin latency table: Wavesupport | Tech Specs | Latency Chart

If you are using RTAS on a TDM system, there is extra latency added to buffer the audio between the TDM cards and the CPU.

Alistair
In all fairness to TDM, they don't always add a bit more, eg the avid channel strip is 0 samples under TDM or AAX native (I believe, sold the tdm rig a while ago). But it is true that usually TDM plugins have a minimum of 4 samples latency which can add up.
Old 27th July 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
In all fairness to TDM, they don't always add a bit more, eg the avid channel strip is 0 samples under TDM or AAX native (I believe, sold the tdm rig a while ago). But it is true that usually TDM plugins have a minimum of 4 samples latency which can add up.
Do you mean the new "Euphonix" ChannelStrip that was added in PT 10? I haven't tried that on a TDM rig.

Alistair

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search