The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DAW Setup opinion Condenser Microphones
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

DAW Setup opinion

Hello everyone,

I just registered to this great forum to submit my - finally, seems definitive - DAW component list.

ASUS Sabertooth X58
Intel i7 960 Bloomfield 3,2 ghz
CORSAIR Vengeance 24gb (6x4) Triple Channel 1600 9-9-9-24
x3 Western Digital Caviar Black 750gb
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1 Gb ddr5 Pci-E
Enermax PRO87+ 600watt (I'm wondering if 800watt could be better..)
CoolerMaster Silencio 550

Now all I need is a good dissipation for the CPU and, obviously, a sound card.

So please tell me what you think of this setup. I spent last week trying to figure out all the best choices.

I'm also not really sure about the case.

Thank you,
Marco
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyzza View Post
ASUS Sabertooth X58
Whether you use PCIe card or the firewire port, you'll want to research google to see if anybody has any incompatibilities with that ASUS
motherboard combined with the particular cards or firewire boxes you're interested in. I once made the mistake of buying an Intel DX58SO which happened to be incompatible with every PCIe card.

Quote:
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1 Gb ddr5 Pci-E
For my particular needs, I chose the graphics card based on noise -- which meant finding a fanless silent card. The drawback is that the silent cards are always a generation or two behind the fastest (& hottest) cards. This may be a factor if you also want to use your DAW computer as a gaming machine. In my case, the only thing I use the DAW computer for is music production and browsing the web so it doesn't matter that my fanless card can't do 60fps @ 2560x1600. The screen redraws of DAWs waveforms and metering do not require that type of gfx horsepower.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

Assuming you are going to shop today,
I am wondering why you are not choosing the newest and less "hotter than hell" Core i7 platform instead of the previous i7 architecture.

Just for the records it runs on different Motherboard and chipset.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke2112 View Post
Assuming you are going to shop today,
I am wondering why you are not choosing the newest and less "hotter than hell" Core i7 platform instead of the previous i7 architecture.

Just for the records it runs on different Motherboard and chipset.
Sorry maybe I'm not well informed.

Are you refering to the i7 2600K SandyBridge?

My first configuration was on a P6P67 mobo with that processor, but then I figured out that 1155 socket only allow 4 ram slots. And I would like to put in 24 gb of ram. So I switched to the 1366 socket, and then I also read that it's newer (and better/more performing)! So I'm a bit confused now.

Please enlighten me.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Sorry maybe I'm not well informed.

Are you refering to the i7 2600K SandyBridge?

My first configuration was on a P6P67 mobo with that processor, but then I figured out that 1155 socket only allow 4 ram slots. And I would like to put in 24 gb of ram. So I switched to the 1366 socket, and then I also read that it's newer (and better/more performing)! So I'm a bit confused now.

Please enlighten me.
yes I'm referring to the SandyBridge architecture.

you would want to take a look at this thread: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...pc-thread.html

You're right the sandybridge (socket 1155) platform allows you only 4 banks of ram, as far as I know affordable ram Kits does not exceed 16 GB.

The X58 platform (socket 1366) allows you 6 banks of ram and this platform is older and less performing than sandybridge......but we're always talking about hig h profile platforms.

If you have to stick with large amount of Ram (ie more than 16 GB) then you should go with the X58 platform.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke2112 View Post
yes I'm referring to the SandyBridge architecture.

you would want to take a look at this thread: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...pc-thread.html

You're right the sandybridge (socket 1155) platform allows you only 4 banks of ram, as far as I know affordable ram Kits does not exceed 16 GB.

The X58 platform (socket 1366) allows you 6 banks of ram and this platform is older and less performing than sandybridge......but we're always talking about hig h profile platforms.

If you have to stick with large amount of Ram (ie more than 16 GB) then you should go with the X58 platform.
Thank you so much!

I heard that the 1366 was newer and more performing than H67 and P67

What do you suggest for the 1155 socket, P67 or Z67?
Is i7 2600K the newest/better one from the i7 family?

I want a machine where I can load lot of Vst instrument and effects without freezing track and stuff. So I thought about 24gb, but, honestly, I don't know if they are too much. How can I figure it out?

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate - and need - it.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason West View Post
Whether you use PCIe card or the firewire port, you'll want to research google to see if anybody has any incompatibilities with that ASUS
motherboard combined with the particular cards or firewire boxes you're interested in. I once made the mistake of buying an Intel DX58SO which happened to be incompatible with every PCIe card.

For my particular needs, I chose the graphics card based on noise -- which meant finding a fanless silent card. The drawback is that the silent cards are always a generation or two behind the fastest (& hottest) cards. This may be a factor if you also want to use your DAW computer as a gaming machine. In my case, the only thing I use the DAW computer for is music production and browsing the web so it doesn't matter that my fanless card can't do 60fps @ 2560x1600. The screen redraws of DAWs waveforms and metering do not require that type of gfx horsepower.
Hi, Could you please tell me what PCIe cards didn't work?, as I also have a DX58SO and have not had any of those problems (fingers crossed) as yet
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

I would reccomend the P67 chipset and a i7 2600K, as far as I know the 2600K is the fastest one.

Regarding the amount of system ram, can't say\be precise.
It depends strictly on how many VSTs (assuming large sample based VSTs) you wish to load simultaniusly.

Of course you would prefer a 64 bit based DAW software.

if you want to know more about the SandyBridge Architecture here's a link:

Sandy Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofreak View Post
Hi, Could you please tell me what PCIe cards didn't work?, as I also have a DX58SO and have not had any of those problems (fingers crossed) as yet
Virtually every PCIe card that was not a graphics card did not work. This included RME, Lynx, UAD, Black Magic Design video capture cards, RAID SATA cards, etc. This DX58SO incompatibility has been documented quite well across various forums and tech support notes of add-on card manufacturers.

What makes things confusing is that some claim that the newest DX58SO assembly revision (I don't know which one) fixes this issue. I bought the DX58SO in early 2009 and flashing it with the latest BIOS doesn't fix it. I already sold the RME MADI card so I can't test it on the latest DX58SO.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut
I have an x58 based system. It IS fast enough for most daw applications. BUT I am considering building a 2600k based system and wouldn't think of doing a x58 based system at this point in hardware history. The only thing holding me back from building a 2600k is x79 coming soon. TODAY I would definitely go with 2600k. I have run into a sony vegas situation where I wished my x58 system were faster.
I know, I sell you my x58 system and then I can have my 2600k (just kidding).
Research the motherboards. Do you need firewire? Can play an important part in your decision.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfire View Post
Do you need firewire? Can play an important part in your decision.
Because of the Gigabyte Texas Instrument Firewire chipset?

Does it make the difference?
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Virtually every PCIe card that was not a graphics card did not work. This included RME, Lynx, UAD, Black Magic Design video capture cards, RAID SATA cards, etc. This DX58SO incompatibility has been documented quite well across various forums and tech support notes of add-on card manufacturers.

What makes things confusing is that some claim that the newest DX58SO assembly revision (I don't know which one) fixes this issue. I bought the DX58SO in early 2009 and flashing it with the latest BIOS doesn't fix it. I already sold the RME MADI card so I can't test it on the latest DX58SO.
Wow,

I know some early BIOS revisions were crappy, but I didn't know they were that bad.

Maybe I've been lucky?.

I need to look into this now as I'm about to purchase an RME MADI.
Could you recommend a good tech site to investigate, so I can verify my revision?
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofreak View Post
I know some early BIOS revisions were crappy, but I didn't know they were that bad.

I need to look into this now as I'm about to purchase an RME MADI.
Could you recommend a good tech site to investigate, so I can verify my revision?
To clarify, it's not the BIOS revision that determines it, it's the hardware ASSEMBLY revision ... it's a revision number that's stamped on the physical board itself.

Check out the RME support forums (search for DX58SO). I believe someone posted his hardware assembly revision # there.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
To clarify, it's not the BIOS revision that determines it, it's the hardware ASSEMBLY revision ... it's a revision number that's stamped on the physical board itself.

Check out the RME support forums (search for DX58SO). I believe someone posted his hardware assembly revision # there.
ok thanks.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Because of the Gigabyte Texas Instrument Firewire chipset?

Does it make the difference?
It makes a difference for me. That's why I'm sticking with my X58 boards for now and not moving to the Z68 (which would be my choice). I've done two i7 builds with Gigabyte boards primarily because of the TI chipsets, and because I like the Gigabyte support forum on Tweaktown.com forums, but the new Z68s don't have the TI chipsets.

All the Asus boards use the VIA 1394 chipsed AFAIK.

The new P67s and Z68s are all double channel memory. As I've heard, they found that triple channel was an insignificant performance improvement with the new architecture over dual channel, so that's why you only see 4 memory slots.

For processor cooling, I really like the Coolermaster V8. It's very, very quiet, has an fan adjustment pot and does a really great job at cooling the 960 I have, which I overclock a little to 3.68. These things are huge, but they do a great job. I've tried liquid but I found the pumps and radiator fans to be loud compared to the V8.

I'd also check out the Mushkin Redline or Blackline memory. For drives, I've reconfigured to two SSDs (OS/Programs and Samples) and two HDDs for a RAID 0 recording drive setup.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search