The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ahhh... The Power of Melodyne
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Head

Ahhh... The Power of Melodyne

Thought Id share a little video I made with you guys. Think it illustrates pretty beautifully how talent is not really needed in modern day singers—and further, how f-ing powerful Melodyne can be. I called it AutoTune because no lehman YouTubers have any idea what Melodyne is.

Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ogvn...ature=youtu.be

p.s. is there any way to post a video straight in the thread?
Old 4th September 2011
Oh man, I was on the bus the other day and this young guy with down syndrome was busting out 50cent. It was so awesome I didn't want to get off at my stop!
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

If you are making fun of that guy it's
Not cool. Why don't you find some real work instead of giving the impression you are a jerk. We all know how software works.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

its okay he's in silver lake, cultural irony is excused
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

It perfectly reflects the original . . or this kind of 'music', well done 8am-Man
I like the guy btw. I'm used to work with people who are absolutely painfree, good soldiers especially in movie productions
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by latestflavor View Post
If you are making fun of that guy it's
Not cool. Why don't you find some real work instead of giving the impression you are a jerk. We all know how software works.

Haha... Uh you're a jerk man. Making fun if the guy? I auto tuned his voice because when I saw the video the top comment wad "someone needs to AutoTune this for him ASAP."

Do you honestly think that he would be offended over this, rather than excited to hear himself exactly as he sounds in his head? The whole point to my post was that I thought this guy sang what could be turned into a passable Top 40 vocal. How that is "making fun" of anybody but Katy Perry is beyond me, but you can go on being butthurt.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyToby View Post
It perfectly reflects the original . . or this kind of 'music', well done 8am-Man
I like the guy btw. I'm used to work with people who are absolutely painfree, good soldiers especially in movie productions
Thanks Toby. I like the guy as well.. I wish I was able to be that carefree haha!!
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah, I'm an ass.

You contribute to the ongoing public mockery of a special needs person.

So cool of you to be so easy going about it.

My hero.

Old 5th September 2011
I kinda feel sorry for the guy, but then he starts waving his cd player in the air, I had that sony cd player, it was great. He's clearly enjoying himself.

I thought this was going to be a serious thread about the power of melodyne so how's this:

The other day I was sent a track to mix over the internet, all acoustic guitars, cello and vocal.

Theres a section in the song where the guitar player does a newton faulkner esque harmonic tapping thing.

Now every mix i sent back they asked for the harmonics louder and louder. I tried compression, parrallel compression, EQ, combinations of all of the above.

Obviously if this had been my session I would have asked them to replay the part with the harmonics louder or overdubbed the harmonics, as they live hundreds of miles away, not possible.

So I thought ****it, lets give melodyne a shot. I managed to isolate the harmonics onto their own track and delete the other audio so I had a harmonics only track which I could automate and send to effects it's not 100% natural, but its more natural than the extreme EQ, Compression etc I would have had to use otherwise.

A real melodyne story.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Yeah, I'm an ass.

You contribute to the ongoing public mockery of a special needs person.

So cool of you to be so easy going about it.

My hero.

Uh so if he wasn't special needs then it would be ok for me to AutoTune him singing? I don't get the double standard. The guy is so happy. And he's awesome. Whatever man...
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

So, did you just learn how to do this and felt a need to come here and get your "Atta-Boy Award"?

I'd like to hear you tune some vocals so I can't tell they were tuned. I can do that...can you?
Old 6th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am RAiNMAN View Post
p.s. is there any way to post a video straight in the thread?
Yup, like this, quote this to see what I did. Just put the video code out of the URL between youtube tags.

Matt
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdlstl View Post
So, did you just learn how to do this and felt a need to come here and get your "Atta-Boy Award"?

I'd like to hear you tune some vocals so I can't tell they were tuned. I can do that...can you?
Hahaha I think you're the one looking for an atta-boy. Clearly I should have never made this post. Thought it was kinda funny that a mic on a video camera could capture what could be turned into a semi-passable Top 40 vocal. It was meant as a slight jab at Katy Perry... NOT the guy singing the song. Not gonna spew off credits... But ive tuned many records. Mods feel free to delete this mockery of a thread
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
Yup, like this, quote this to see what I did. Just put the video code out of the URL between youtube tags.

Matt
Ahh got it. Thanks man!
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Uh so if he wasn't special needs then it would be ok for me to AutoTune him singing? I don't get the double standard. The guy is so happy. And he's awesome. Whatever man...
He had a video posted by someone for the sole purpose of making fun of him for no reason - other than he was being himself.

Is there a double standard? Yes. The difference between being cruel to someone who might be able to defend themselves and those that 100% can't. One is a bully, the other evil.

They both suck.

Either way, good luck with your "work".

Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy3189 View Post

So I thought ****it, lets give melodyne a shot. I managed to isolate the harmonics onto their own track and delete the other audio so I had a harmonics only track which I could automate and send to effects it's not 100% natural, but its more natural than the extreme EQ, Compression etc I would have had to use otherwise.

A real melodyne story.
LOL!!! I can't tell you how many times that first sentence was uttered by me Classic !!!
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
I managed to isolate the harmonics onto their own track and delete the other audio so I had a harmonics only track which I could automate and send to effects.

Wait. What? That's amazing. Please elaborate!
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

A real melodyne story.
I've found I enjoy using Melodyne better for these exact kinds of things than I do as an intonation tool, actually.

Got too much bleed of another instrument bleeding over in a mic? Pull it out using the DNA feature. Especially fantastic when tracking multiple singers or horn players in the same room at the same time, using different mics. You can even correct the bleeding notes if they're out of tune, if need be.

I've also used it to pull out stick clicks from an over-anxious drummer where he's supposed to be silent and let the cymbals decay...

The more stuff I try it for, the more useful it actually becomes. Great stuff!
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not gonna spew off credits... But ive tuned many records.
You work for a label that strictly releases albums by special needs people?!

Frank
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I was watching Katy Perry singing Firework live on TV at the American Music Award a few months ago, and to my surprise, she was totally off key 70% of the time, it was pretty painful to listen to. In fact most of the performing singers that night weren't great at all apart from Christina Aguilera, whose performance was more or less perfect. It just goes to show that without auto-tune or melodyne, probably not many of those so called artists would have been able to make it into the charts at all. Maybe most of the charts artists could be classified as special needs people.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidtube View Post
I was watching Katy Perry singing Firework live on TV at the American Music Award a few months ago, and to my surprise, she was totally off key 70% of the time, it was pretty painful to listen to. In fact most of the performing singers that night weren't great at all apart from Christina Aguilera, whose performance was more or less perfect. It just goes to show that without auto-tune or melodyne, probably not many of those so called artists would have been able to make it into the charts at all. Maybe most of the charts artists could be classified as special needs people.
My point exactly
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
My point exactly
I didn't think you were mocking the guy, the person who posted the video originally was mocking him maybe. You did manage to show how it's possible to turn a bad singer to sound pitch perfect at least. It's scary that the general public actually think the cast of Glee are all great singers.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
He had a video posted by someone for the sole purpose of making fun of him for no reason - other than he was being himself.

Is there a double standard? Yes. The difference between being cruel to someone who might be able to defend themselves and those that 100% can't. One is a bully, the other evil.

They both suck.

Either way, good luck with your "work".

The description for the original YouTube video was this:

Quote:
This video is awesome only because it is 8am in Jersey City, sitting on a bus filled with people on their way to work and this guy is belting Katy Perry California Girls with a disc man in hand. It was pretty much the best bus ride ever!
Doesn't sound like he's being made fun of to me. It sounds like he's being celebrated for how free spirited he is. The only reason I keep defending myself (this is such a dumb argument IMO ha) is because I would never "make fun" of a special needs person.

In my opinion, viewing the video as something hurtful to the guy is more indicative of viewing special needs people as "outsiders," and therefore more alienating, than my attitude is. I respect the guy for being so carefree. I think he is awesome. Should i treat him differently because he's special needs? He's a free spirited, awesome dude who put a smile on my and many others faces.

All you see when you watch the video is a special needs person. I see a guy who doesn't give a **** rocking out on a bus.
Old 6th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidtube View Post
There's a great video somewhere of KP doing "Kissed a Girl" acoustically, and she sounds great (as far as I can tell, it's untuned as well). Gigs like the above can often suffer from really poor monitoring, and without knowing who the other acts were, this is a good indication (Christina as we all know is a robot and will probably be the one singing the theme song as the credits roll to The End of The World).

Of course there are many pop puppets around - but some of those ATed to death on record can still sing - it's just "the style, man".
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I have a sibling with down syndrome. In all honesty give the guy that started this thread a break. If the guy on the bus is anything like my sister he probably thinks (I Am RAiNMAN) is the coolest guy ever for doing this for him. He also is probably responsible for half of this videos views. My sister is also passionate about singing music, and to the user that started this thread... thank you for giving me the idea to record my sister as a present for her birthday coming up. It will most likely be a present she will never forget.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac
Quote:
All you see when you watch the video is a special needs person. I see a guy who doesn't give a **** rocking out on a bus.
So true! A friend of mine is ******** (look, i can't write retar-dit here? damn gearslutz), can sing along to the whole rap album of a friend of mine, but can't count till 20..
honestly he's pretty much one of the coolest guys I know, maybe because of beeing ******** - he just don't give a ****.
He doesn't think about how he looks, how he might sound, how everything he says will be interpreted..he just speaks the truth!
This guy is awesome and to get back to topic: I HATE it when people see him and say "oh I feel sorry for that guy"..why? He's living a better live than a lot of people I know, he's free in his mind!
I loved it to hear him sing along to "dance of the vampires" with his headseat on straight off his balcony late at night..he was feeling music in a way I wish a lot of people would do.
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

This cat is awesome... I may have to stalk his bus route in jersey for a glimpse... Perhaps I'll play him some of my stuff and observe his enthusiasm as an alternative to the Old Grey Whistle Test...
Old 20th October 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hahaha I think you're the one looking for an atta-boy. Clearly I should have never made this post. Thought it was kinda funny that a mic on a video camera could capture what could be turned into a semi-passable Top 40 vocal. It was meant as a slight jab at Katy Perry... NOT the guy singing the song. Not gonna spew off credits... But ive tuned many records. Mods feel free to delete this mockery of a thread
Hell no dude if these guys can't take this as funny but cool then they should F off and go look at other threads, people here are way too serious here, and that's sad my friend, the guy must be someone's brother in this forum that's why they're all mad and sh!t

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search