The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
good specs for new desktop??
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Nut

good specs for new desktop??

this will be my main recording pc. what do you think of these specs? anything to change or upgrade?

Athlon 64x2 4200+ dual core 2.2ghz
phenom heat sink
2 TB sata HD
8gb of ddr2 800 mhz Ram
Gts 8800 +
650w atx psu
sony optiarc dual layer dvd burner
4 case fans 2 120mm 2 80mm
Windows 7 ultimate 64x preinstalled
Tornado ATX midsize case biostar tf560 mobo
Old 4th September 2011
You should be most worried about dpc latency.
Old 4th September 2011
You don't need Ultimate.
Ram is slow/old.
You need a 2nd drive, get a small 7200 drive, 500gb is more than enough.
processor is not very powerful but it sounds like you are on a budget.
Fans are probably loud if they are no-name.
Video card not the best choise, get a simple fanless Ati.
Don't know the mobo.

To me it sounds as if the seller wants to get rid of old stock.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Agree with Leon ^

800 mhz Ram - you can do alot better

What make is the PSU? You don't want to skimp there - might I recommend a Corsair?

Cheers.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

based on the advice here i decided against that pc. please forgive, i don't really know much about computers. i'm not on a really tight budget but i don't want to spend a fortune either, as this is basically for a home setup. right now i'm barely getting by using my old 2gb desktop. all help and any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 5th September 2011
The stock reply is i7 2600K and the motherboard of DAW perfection to go with that CPU is......?Definately DDR3 RAM as much as poss.Mother B. is.......?Some of you guys know,what is/are they?heh
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

1) Processor seems little slow to todays standards.
2) You definitely want to get eg. two 7200rpm 500Gb HDDs instead of one 2Tb.
3) DDR3 instead of DD2. If you get 1333Mhz or 1600Mhz DDR3, even 4Gb will be enough.
4) As this is for audio recording just get one silent and solid graphics card (unless you're planning to play while recording)
5) Don't need 7 Ultimate...
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toseben View Post
If you get 1333Mhz or 1600Mhz DDR3, even 4Gb will be enough.
Back in 2007, 4GB was enough. Today in 2011 with 64bit becoming the norm, 8GB should be the minimum. I ran on 6GB last year and it was sluggish. The speed of RAM is not relevant in this case.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason West View Post
Back in 2007, 4GB was enough. Today in 2011 with 64bit becoming the norm, 8GB should be the minimum. I ran on 6GB last year and it was sluggish. The speed of RAM is not relevant in this case.
It depends. If this is for project studio with little to none sample based recording then 4GB will be enough.
Are you saying that OS was sluggish with 6GB or were you working with something?
Also the point was in DDR3 vs DDR2. RAM speed is quite irrelevant yes and only reason I stated to get 1333Mhz or 1600Mhz is that anything above that will be total waste if you're not going to overclock CPU.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

what kind of budget should i be looking at for a good system? i was planning around $700-1000. of course, that can be adjusted if it will be worth it. the max i have done so far is around 20 tracks, running a decent amount of plugs. nothing else will be done on this pc except recording. nothing in the background, just the daw.
Old 5th September 2011
AGAIN if "Desktopping" It's i7 2600K:the best,most recent,i7 intel quad CPU not i5 or i3 or older i7.this chip is the ducks guts,almost as good as last years$1000+ 980x for $3to4 hundred,BUT if you buy a Kit or package WITH THIS CHIP and NO OTHER chip,you can have a super rig for around or under $1000! A WHOLE computer with as much performance and more for the SAME price as LAST years super chip ALONE! I appollagize for shouting its just if it was me,I would definately start by centering the rig around this ONE CPU and NO OTHER, it's not even questionable,enjoy! P.S make SURE its the "K" again, intel i7 2600K -NO OTHER[for the price/performance]
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

thanks for the advice!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search