The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New UAD2 Plugs & Platform In Use: Ampex, Brainworx, SPL.....
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

New UAD2 Plugs & Platform In Use: Ampex, Brainworx, SPL.....

Hey All-

This thread is about people's experiences in using UAD2's new V.6 platform as well as using the new plugs: Ampex ATR 102, SPL Vitalizer and Brainworx bx-digital V2 eq.

This thread is not for posting about how much a Quad costs vs a new Intel CPU with comparisons on how many thousands of plugs you can run on either. This thread is also not a place to whine about DSP cards vs Native or analyze the UAD2 video demos. It's not a place to vent your 64-bit desires. There are already many places on Gearslutz to talk about these things. This is a thread about people's actual experience in using these plugs in a mix.

I've been on the 'New Product Alert' threads and there is virtually no one talking about there experience with these plugs. I'd love to have a place to discuss that and read other people's experiences. Lastly, I'm interested in how, if at all, the UAD2 versions of the SPL Vitalizer and Brainworx bx digital_eq V.2 differ from their Native counterparts (sound-wise, not how many thousands of plugs you can run on a particular platform vs the other).

Personally, I have three Quads and love the UAD2 platform. I'll be demoing and discussing the plugs over the next couple weeks.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear
I'll be demo'ing tomar and ill post files or you can post a raw file and ill process.

I have the nf magnetic so ill compare them as well.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Addict

well, I try not to activate too many demos at a time but I'm digging the Vitalizer quite a bit!! The stereo widening tool is for sure better than others that I've used. Seems like a good polishing/mastering tool that's very straight foward and easy to use. The low end soft/tight knob is pretty basic and effective. I didn't think I would want this one at first but at this point, I kinda do want it!!

brainworx looks a little intimidating at first glance. Haven't started the demo yet, though. Looking forward to checking out the Ampex too.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Head

I am demoing the Ampex, I am stunned.
Must say that I have no experience with the original hardware.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. Been a long weekend...I'll post back here with my experiences in the coming week.

Now that I'm thinkin' about it....I'm kinda curious about the SPL Vitalizer...I'm not familiar with it at all. I like SPL- I think they're a great, innovative company. I've got a hardware Quad SPL Transient Designer and it's so handy...never thought I'd use it as much as I do.

Gonna have to read the manual before I try the Vitalizer to see what this things all about.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Just bought the Studer, and here they come with the Ampex.
I love the Studer as a track prep sort of thing.

The Ampex is quite nice, as another tool.
I have only mixed to the real thing a couple of times
but the experience and sound were stellar.
Much more testing is required.

The SPL hasn't really done much for me.
I have a great dislike of BBE sonic maximizer type things.
They were good back when I used my 4 track with no room treatment kind of thing.

The Brainworx is confusing to look at and hurts my brain at first glance.
Then I started to play with it and found the EQ kind of plastic like,
which could be a good thing for some sources I guess.
But having all those tools in one plug is very handy.
I like the mono maker section, simple enough.
I haven't found the EQ freq shifter thing very usable.
Seems like a shelf EQ with different Q settings/characteristics...
The De-esser is stuck at one freq? Can this be changed?

Just being able to roll off some low end on the side channels and make the lowend mono so easily is pretty nice. Like I said I'm enjoying the convenience factor very much, but not the sound of the EQ so much.

randy

Last edited by rotundness; 5th September 2011 at 02:52 AM.. Reason: looks,neatness
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke2112 View Post
I am demoing the Ampex, I am stunned.
Must say that I have no experience with the original hardware.
I'm a little stunned myself. I was messing with it different places and then went back to some of mixes I had done and put it on the 2 buss. Just adding one ampex gave the stereo field this odd but wonderful spatial mojo. I'm going to listen to it more tomorrow. I may not be able to wait for it to go on sale...hate that.
L.
Old 5th September 2011
I'm a power user of the digital v2 native, but will try out the UAD version within the upcoming weeks. I'll give you my feedback then.

BTW: it is not an EQ for everything, and not intended to add character, but it is a real problem solver and my go-to EQ for mastering.

The interface might be a bit intimidating at first glance, but just like a console, many buttons do the same kind of thing. :-)
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear
To the people using ATR102 under PT... how many latency is introduced by the plug @ 256 buffer? Thanks.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
I'm a power user of the digital v2 native, but will try out the UAD version within the upcoming weeks. I'll give you my feedback then.

BTW: it is not an EQ for everything, and not intended to add character, but it is a real problem solver and my go-to EQ for mastering.

The interface might be a bit intimidating at first glance, but just like a console, many buttons do the same kind of thing. :-)

Hey Leon- Long time no talk.

Thanks for the info. Yeah the bx_digital eq V2 looks quite daunting. I haven't started my demo for that one yet. I've been using UAD2's massive passive as the last insert on my mix bus (before my limiter / FGX) since as long as UAD2 has had it. I love it!

Have you ever used this (MP)? How would you say it compares? More surgical? Less mojo? If this is a "fix it" // surgery eq that's cool but I'm not sure I'd have too much use for something like that....

Thanks man,

Scott
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

6.0 is great. RTAS support. Call me crazy, but I think the plugins actually work a little better as RTAS instead of VST. I also like that they show up in the appropriate places in Pro Tools, instead of all being in the "wrapped plugins" Folder. Guess the 6.0 is a pretty nice upgrade for Pro Tools users. The Ampex sounds very nice. I have already used the Brainworx, and the SPL Vitalizer natively before. I have no reason to believe they are any different from the Native versions. I love the frequency scanning thing in the Brainworx, and everybody that's demo-ing the Vitalizer, try it on Acoustic guitar...it might make you smile
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hey Stevens-

How are you using the Vitalizer?

Thanks,

Scott
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Just kinda as a sweetener. Important engineering tip - - >> Turn a couple knobs up at random and see if it sounds better, if not, you turned the wrong knobs...turn some different ones. I'm joking, but if you turn up the Drive, Process, and Intensity knobs some, you will hear a cool difference. I believe the Process knob affects only the Bass and Mid. I suppose it is sort of an exciter, but not bad sounding like a sonic maximizer. There probably a ton of uses for the Vitalizer, but all I have ever really used it on was guitars
Old 6th September 2011
neb
Gear Maniac

I've been demoing the ampex over a mix and various tracks. I really like what it's doing. Adds heaps of body. I like the different tapes they've modeled as well... very nice. I put it on a skanky guitar @ 3 1/2 ips and sounded great. Then put it on a kick track @ 15 ips and it immediately gave it a fuller more finished sound.
So for me this is going to be an invaluable tool for both individual tracks and the 2 buss.
Old 6th September 2011
Plugin Alliance / Brainworx

from BX & SPL

Hey all, just wanted to say Thank You for starting this thread and actually talking about plugins and sounds rather than... well... anything else. ;-)
Rock on, Dirk.
Old 6th September 2011
I'm also a long time UAD user, and the Ampex I bought on release - did not even bother to demo it.
I'm very, very pleased with it so far, even though I have barely scratched the surface of what it would seem to be capable of. I don't have a real one to compare it to, as all my tape has ben through an old (but beautifully rebult) Revox B77HS. This is much, much nicer though.
I'll post back in the next few days with a full report on it though.

SPL Vitalizer - I had no use for the hardware, and no use for the plugin version.
Brainworx? I don't need another digital EQ - I have the console EQ's and Cambridge/MMP, didn't like the Native version much and also have DMG EQuality.
UAD should, I believe, stay with what they are best at - emulations of classic analogue gear. I cannot think of a single reason to buy the UAD version of Brainworx EQ when it is cheaper in Native form.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainrox View Post
Hey all, just wanted to say Thank You for starting this thread and actually talking about plugins and sounds rather than... well... anything else. ;-)
Rock on, Dirk.
Right on! Thanks for the plugs Dirk! Pumped to try these out (and thanks for developing bx_shredder/spreader- can't remember exactly what it's called but I love that plug......always have it on my guitar bus...)

I'm gonna try the Ampex first...will post here with my initial experiences tonight or tomorrow.

Cheers all-

Scott
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilwilkes View Post
UAD should, I believe, stay with what they are best at - emulations of classic analogue gear. I cannot think of a single reason to buy the UAD version of Brainworx EQ when it is cheaper in Native form.
5-6 years ago maybe when CPU was at a premium. Not these days. Has anyone confirmed that this is a direct port and there is no advantage in running the UAD version? I guess if it was an easy port then its free money for UAD. Assuming anyone has found a reason to buy the UAD version.
Old 6th September 2011
Plugin Alliance / Brainworx

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilwilkes View Post
I cannot think of a single reason to buy the UAD version of Brainworx EQ when it is cheaper in Native form.
Sorry, but it´s not cheaper. ;-)
Dirk / BX.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
Ok, jumped on the ATR102 train for a session... Don't wanna spend a lot of time in comments so I will be really short
I begin with the bad thing: latency. There's a huge amount of latency. I got more than 3000ms of samples with 256 buffer in PT HD. Dont wanna imagine how much latency will be there under 512. That's too much even for the ADC engine in PT HD!
Good things? A lot. It's not simple to use this beast... there are a lot of options, some are subtle, some not. For example, when you choose the different tapes you will listen to sonic differencies in 2 seconds. It's really different from Studer A800. With the Studer when I change the tape settings there's no BIG differences in sound. With the Ampex no.
To simplify in a word: 3D. It's like wearing a pair of 3D glasses when the master passes into the Ampex.
I don't care if it is equal or different in a subtle way from the original. I noticed a wider stereo image, a punchier drum & bass track, and a 3D voice coming from the speakers.
That's all for me
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenkonio View Post
With the Studer when I change the tape settings there's no BIG differences in sound. With the Ampex no.
I take it that's a typo?

Any other Ampex vs. Studer comparisons would be welcomed.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenkonio View Post
Ok, jumped on the ATR102 train for a session... Don't wanna spend a lot of time in comments so I will be really short
I begin with the bad thing: latency. There's a huge amount of latency. I got more than 3000ms of samples with 256 buffer in PT HD. Dont wanna imagine how much latency will be there under 512. That's too much even for the ADC engine in PT HD!
Good things? A lot. It's not simple to use this beast... there are a lot of options, some are subtle, some not. For example, when you choose the different tapes you will listen to sonic differencies in 2 seconds. It's really different from Studer A800. With the Studer when I change the tape settings there's no BIG differences in sound. With the Ampex no.
To simplify in a word: 3D. It's like wearing a pair of 3D glasses when the master passes into the Ampex.
I don't care if it is equal or different in a subtle way from the original. I noticed a wider stereo image, a punchier drum & bass track, and a 3D voice coming from the speakers.
That's all for me
Pretty much exactly what I heard. After listening to a couple of tracks I had to catch a buzz and do a few more...punchier drum and bass and tighter sounding...and that voice thing...like it sliced off the sides and just put it there in the middle in it's own little box, but still blended into the mix really well. This Ampex is pretty cool. It's a great thing to have a tool you can put on the 2 buss and know it's not going to smash the crap out of your mix to get a cool effect. And with all of the plugs I have I don't think I have anything that does what this does.
L.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

This video may help some. Heavy vintage drums supplied by Superior Drummer 2

A800 - ATR-102 Demo
Old 7th September 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 View Post
This video may help some. Heavy vintage drums supplied by Superior Drummer 2

A800 - ATR-102 Demo
awesome video, thanks, helpful indeed.
Old 7th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainrox View Post
Sorry, but it´s not cheaper. ;-)
Dirk / BX.
Native version = €228 (usually €249). That's £200.71
UAD version = $329 = £205.75
With the sale, the Native version is cheapest.
I'm not that bothered though, as I have no interest at all in this EQ - I have enough digital EQ.

Getting back on-thread, I am liking the Ampex more & more each time I use it, and the differences between the tape forulas is starting to become apparent now too. Next stop has to be a Studer A800 and another Quad to run it on. The combination of the Studer, VCC and then the Ampex sounds very intriguing.
Old 7th September 2011
bx_digital eq V2 native here. always on my master bus and sometimes on groups/instruments (for widen leads often). killer plug!
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hey All-

So I've been using the Ampex all morning. I've got a pretty big / full session going on and have had it on the mix bus all day.

Just so you know how the session is setup in regards to tape....I've got the Studer 800 followed by the VCC on every track. All of my subgroups have the Studer 800 followed by the VCC channel as well. The mix bus (which comes after my summing and hardware SSL G comp) has the Studer 800, then the VCC Mix bus followed by the API 2500 (waves- only barely doing a bit of GR), UAD Fatso (doing even less than the API), UAD Manley....yeah...a lot of ****...

Thing is...I start every session this way and mix into all this stuff from the start. So the mix was already sounding great going into the Ampex demo...

First thing I did was 'hard bypass' or deactivate the Studer on the mix bus and insert the Ampex after the Manely. The Ampex is not the easiest thing to use at first but after a while I started to get the hang of it and it sounded great at gelling the mix together and tucking the snare transients into the mix. (this was what the studer was doing as well). Then I tried placing the Ampex where the studer was (first rather than last insert)---didn't like it so much there. Then I tried leaving the Studer on as it was while activating the Ampex last...this sounded great too but was probably a bit too much....a little too mushy for my tastes..

Overall, from my short time using it on the mix bus, it sounds absolutely great! Especially great in tucking unruly transients into the mix and under some settings, bringing out the mid-range a bit. For now, I'll proabably take the Studer out of the mix bus chain and leave the Ampex on last.

I have no idea if it sounds like the real one and couldn't care less about that.

I'm def. going to be spending some time with the manual on this one (I feel like I got the Studer down pretty good)....

Lastly, one of the five or six presets I made on the mix bus had the tape delay settings on. Very, very short but it really brought the mix alive. I've never heard of having any sort of delay strapped across a whole mix (sounded ok but kinda makes me nervous doing that)...anyone else use the tape delay this way with the Ampex??

Looking fwd to trying it on drum bus, guitar bus and other things...will post back here.

Cheers,

Scott

EDIT: Just thought I'd throw this in here....one of the problems I've been having in this particular mix is that the snare transients seems to be poking out of the mix too much. I wanted them (snares) to sound big and present but still gelled and sound together with the rest of mix as a whole. The studer helped A LOT with this but the problem is solved with the Ampex on the mix bus. It really tucks the snare transients in nicely...not too much and not too little...The guitars are gelling quite nicely as well!
Old 7th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorboy View Post
Hey Leon- Long time no talk.

Have you ever used this (MP)? How would you say it compares? More surgical? Less mojo? If this is a "fix it" // surgery eq that's cool but I'm not sure I'd have too much use for something like that....

Thanks man,

Scott
Hi Scott,
I haven't had much time with the MassivePassive, strange enough. I started using the digital V2 because of its stereo width control which I needed for a few songs. Since it is a very flexible and clean EQ it became my go-to EQ for 90% of my EQing on masters.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

I`ve tried native original versions of spl vitalizer and brainworx bx digital 2. I just wanna to say shortly that UAD versions are much better. It`s not because i`m a fun of UAD, it sounds just better. I`m happy with these plugs, they help me to make my works sounding better easely.
Cheers.
Old 10th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by serga View Post
I`ve tried native original versions of spl vitalizer and brainworx bx digital 2. I just wanna to say shortly that UAD versions are much better. It`s not because i`m a fun of UAD, it sounds just better. I`m happy with these plugs, they help me to make my works sounding better easely.
Cheers.
1:1 algo from native version.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search