The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moving all N.I. preset and library folders to one location. Other Controllers
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Moving all N.I. preset and library folders to one location.

Right. I've been getting a bit OCD about keeping my system tidy and I would like to move all files and folders relating to N.I. (presets/libraries) to what is to become my 'N.I.' drive.

Now, I'm a bit confused as to where everything is as there seems to be quite a few things in different locations - documents, common files and such.

I'm hoping someone can help me with which folders to move and if there's any folder hierarchy I should be aware of.
I know I'm probably completely over-thinking this but I don't want to mess things up!

Thanks in advance for any help,

Neil.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well, I try to keep my stuff organized, and don't really have custom presets or sounds that I've made in Kontakt. I typically use the stock libraries from various manufacturers...and I keep them all in one location. In my root Kontakt installation, I have a folder there labelled 'Libraries' where I keep all Kontakt libraries from various developers, then I just back that up on other drives. The most important thing are those libraries. If your libraries are stored in other folders for various sample libraries, try to find them and compile them. They're usually found in folders named Library, or Contents/Samples, something like that. You're looking for the .nki files and any WAV sounds that are needed for the samples to load(usually they aren't needed). If libraries require installation too (Symphobia or Colossus for example), you should save the installation file and any other files needed for installation (Just copy the entire installation folder). I keep libraries that require installation separate from libraries that don't.

If you have your custom sounds and presets, they're usually saved in either the root installation file where you installed Kontakt, or most likey, in a NI folder in your documents folder.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

NI uses the documents folder (or My Documents on windows) because that's the standard for modern OSes, to store your personal data in those locations. Both for security/permissions related reasons and for a standardized method across ALL applications (not just NI's or audio apps) to keep things centralized for backup/restore.

The things that wind up in the shared location(s) are for Reaktor & Kore library addons. I do wish that they'd put this into the main NI library location, but really with current versions of NI products there's only 2 'stock' locations (NI Library and shared) and the documents folder structure for your personally created presets & programs. Should you wish to move the documents or shared locations you can either try an alias of the folder after moving it, or a symbolic link (created in terminal). Permissions will still need to be checked and it might be a good idea when moving things (assuming you consolidate all to NI Library) from Documents to insure that you have both your user account and whatever the overall NI Library has for permissions.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

thanks for the replies guys.

there are definitely more than two stock locations for NI files.
there's stuff in program files/common files/Native Instruments (most recent are some of the updates from the 1st of september)
and program files(x86)/common files/Native Instruments which contains some of the other september 1st updates.

all this is quite frankly giving me a headache

i think i'll just track down the locations of all the data, back them up and forget about it.
i could have been making music instead of obsessing about this
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ah so you're on Windows, well in that case you should know that program files(x86) is used for 32bit binaries, and program files is for 64bit binaries. So there's no way to consolidate what's under those two, they need to remain separate for the 32bit & 64bit binaries to access their respective data. This has nothing to do with NI really, it's how MS decided to implement 32bit & 64bit app support in Vista & Win7.

The things stored under your /Users/%username%/My Documents/ can be relocated to a subfolder in your NI Library folder but I haven't tried that on windows to know whether a shortcut will work. I'll take a guess and say probably not, but you can create an NTFS Junction which will make the apps see the junction as the original folder. There's a nice freeware app here to do it for you if you're averse to the command line: Junction Link Magic
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

cheers valis, it's making more sense why things are so spread about now.
i really should have mentioned i'm on windows 7 in the first place...

oh, and thanks for the link - that looks like it could be very useful!
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

To go one step further I'm sharing the NI library with both Windows and Mac OS. Most NI applications at least offer to add an user library path, but you need to mess with the Registry (Windows) or plist files (OS X) for things like controller mappings.

What you can do (and probably should) is to put all the sample libraries on your NI disk and add a user library/preset path to those applications that allow to do so (i.e. Absynth).
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

thanks Timur.

i've already got all the sample libraries on the NI drive.
i decided to use the 'Libraries' facility on win7 for ease of access to all the other files - it's already saved me loads of time.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search