The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is Waves expensive because of quality or quantity? Plugin Bundles
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Is Waves expensive because of quality or quantity?

Seriously what the hell? I just installed a Mercury demo and there's like 200 or something plugins to pick from. Are the best of these plugins actually worth the money, is there an audible difference from the rest out there in the market?

I feel a little overwhelmed.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Welcome to subjective city...

It's both really. There a whole bunch of plugins, so it cost alot. Quantity and quality. I love the CLA classic compressors, the artist series, and some of the others. I've been using the L2 for years. Use them for the trial period and only get what you think you need. Then you have more money for other plugins from other manufacturers. You asked if there is an audible difference between them and the rest on the market, and I took that question as "Are Waves plugins that much better than the rest"? Well, no, they aren't. There's alot of plugins that I would use before most of them...UAD, McDsp, SSL, Softube, Sonnox, SPL, URS. I would demo what you can and decide from there what you need. But no, Waves are not necessarily the best plugins. But many of them are very nice
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have microphones that cost more than Mercury, and I can only use them on one sound source. If I like any of the Mercury plug choices, I can load up as many instances as I need. So I don't know that they are that expensive, particularly right now. But yeah, the total number is not insignificant. I do agree with you about 200 plugs being an extreme amount. When I bought the Platinum Bundle, it was the biggest that they offered and it was only 30 plugs. I probably use ten of them regularly.

So let's think about that for a minute. Mercury is currently on sale, and for a pretty sweet price. So if you get 25 plugs out of the 200 in the package that you use all the time and you pay $4,000 for the bundle, that equates to $160 each for the 25 that you use, and leaves you with 175 plugs sitting in reserve that you will use now and then, at no cost. Looks like a pretty good deal to me. Picking through them to find the ones that you like? Yeah, that will be a task.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search