The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Video/Audio Capture Application Condenser Microphones
Old 3rd September 2011
Deleted User
Video/Audio Capture Application

Hey guys, what application are you guys using to make video with audio demonstrations to post on youtube or send to a friend. Im wanting to make things like lilac writer or logic ninja's stuff for example. Just audio and the screen capturing the video of everything Im doing.
Preferably a Mac and PC app

Thanks

Shane
Old 3rd September 2011
I've used the free, open source CamStudio in the past and it's worked fine. It's not totally slick but it does the job. It was designed for XP and says it's Vista-compatible so I'm assuming it would be Win7 compatible, as well.

http://camstudio.org/

Watch out, because I've seen some people try to sell it.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hey Shane,

For Mac, Screenflow is really good. I know William (lilacwriter) and he uses that for his vids. I have a copy on my MacBook and it works really well.

On PC Camtasia is probably one of the best but it's pretty expensive. However, you can snag the 30-day demo and get a lot done before it expires, its PC or Mac. I usually "demo" on every major update and fire off a few vids with the demo. If you know what you want to do in the 30 days before it expires, the Camtasia demo will get it done for free much better than any of the free apps.

For free... Jing is also pretty good but it only records flash, the free version. To record to MP4 you have to upgrade to "Pro" which I think is $15 a year. You'd probably want the mp4 option if you plan to edit the vids in another application like Vegas or something.

Also free - if animated gif will do for the vids - is Cockos LICEcap.
Old 4th September 2011
Deleted User
Thanks

Looking at the camtasia demo right now and then the screenflow one.

Camtasia runs on both Mac and PC so Im leaning towards that
Old 12th September 2011
Deleted User
Anyone have a preference for Camtasia or Screenflow??

@Lawrence, thanks man
@theblue1, thanks for the link!!
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Anyone have a preference for Camtasia or Screenflow??

@Lawrence, thanks man
@theblue1, thanks for the link!!
You're welcome. I actually just bought Camtasia 7 and before Camtasia went OSX I would have said Screenflow is better (Core Audio better than Win) for doing tutorials with live audio playing from another app and maybe even a webcam overlay. Now I don't know...

One thing for sure, Screenflow costs a lot less and records video just as well. If not for my studio system being a PC I'd have never bought Camtasia.

Screenflow is $99 I think. Add another $40 for Vegas Movie Studio (if you can boot your mac over to Win) and you'll have a package better than both Screenflow or Camtasia by themselves, for less than Camtasia.

Neither comes close to VMS for actual editing... if you want a more professional look to the final vids.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search