The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to sort out Pro Tools sessions... DAW Software
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

How to sort out Pro Tools sessions...

Hi,

I've got a ton of Pro Tools sessions that are all over in various folders etc.

A lot of them are also sessions with multiple songs (and takes) all in one Pro Tools session file, and i would like to be able to seperate them and put them into their own folders (i.e. not just renaming lots of .ptf files for each song)

I've tried save copy as but it seems to copy all the audio, which results in massive folders for single songs.

Is there any way i can just get pro tools to copy the audio required for the tracks/regions that are visible in the session? (i.e. like Cubase can)

Any other tips would be massively helpful, got the best part of about 100gb to try and sort out!.

Cheers.
Nathan.
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

This Sound On Sound article should sort you out Pro Tools: Splitting Sessions

Scott
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut

There may be a simpler way, but this is how i do it.

First you have to delete all the unused tracks: these are one that you may have 'made inactive'. They will be in italics on the TRACKS list to the left of the edit window (unless you've hidden it).

Second delete all unused playlists: click on the playlist drop down on any track and then delete unused, select all the tracks in the next dialog and then delete them.

Third delete unused regions: over on the right of the edit window is the REGIONS list. Up the top is a drop down where you can 'Select > Unused' then go back into the same drop down and select 'Clear'. You get an option to 'Delete' or 'Remove' . Choose remove or you have to click yes to delete each file permenantly individually.

Now do Save Copy In, which will create a duplicate of this cleaned up session all in one place. Once your satisfied it works correctly, you can delete the original to free up space.

In the case of a session with multiple songs in it: either don't save the session once you've done the clean up for a song. or save it as as the individual song name, so you can get back to the original "mother session'

Cheers

Phil

Last edited by billface; 3rd September 2011 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: Accuracy
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
If you have never done it, you might want to make sure you have a seconf backup of the whole file on another drive not mounted on the DAW.

Yes you use Save Copy In. But first, make a save called "song One. Erase everything on the screen that isn't part of Song One. Go to "Select" and "All unused" in the cips menu above the clips on right of screen. The select "all unused". Next go to 'Clear" and select the first option, "Remove from this file Only" DO NOT delete any audio, which is the second selection.

Then go to "Save Copy In. Make sure copy audio files is selected and make the copy of 'Song One"

Then go back to the the original file with all songs. Erase all cut all but Song Two. Repeat the process.

As long as you have a second back uo of the whole thing you should be ok.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Brilliant. Thanks for your super quick responses. I shall attempt to start some of it later this evening.

Thanks again chaps.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search