The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Layla3G PCI confirmed unstable on a Z68 chipset Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
Layla3G PCI confirmed unstable on a Z68 chipset

Hello folks,

Just wanted to let all my fellow Echo PCI users know that their cards may indeed be rendered unusable on newer Z68 based boards.

I recently got my hands on a Sandybridge i7 system using the Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard.

I installed and plugged in all gear from my perfectly stable and working Q6600 system including my Echo Layla3G PCI card. I also loaded Cubase 6.02 with all the plugins I was currently using on a project. In addition, I installed foobar2000 to play some music.

The major issue faced on this system is the loss of communication to the Layla3G PCI card. After 5 - 10 minutes (sometimes more, sometimes less), audio either gets stuck repeating its buffer or stops functioning at all.

It's also common to see meter insanity (see attachment).

While it is working, I notice little crackles when watching videos or playing music. In Cubase with ASIO drivers it's actually pretty solid until it dies again. I could play my current project at 32 sample latency (equivalent to 64 due to Echo's double buffering) which is something I've never been able to do before.

I just wanted to let my fellow PCI friends know. I'm currently looking into a Firewire based solution as per thread New audio interface choice? RME Fireface 400 or MBox 3 Pro?

For the hell of it, I'll be posting some before / after CPU usage screenshots in case anyone is interested to see what they will gain moving to a new i7.

Cheers
soundpalace
Attached Images
File Type: png Echo Going Craazzzzeey.png (81.0 KB, 1555 views)
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
Okies, some interesting facts for those like me with a Q6600 which are looking at making the upgrade to a i7 2600K or similar.

In all my CPU comparisons between the 2 processors, I have found that the i7 is just under 3 times as fast!!

As a simple example, I created a project with many instances of EQuality (all bands enabled on all instances):

Q6600: 384 instances max
i7 2600K: 1024 instances max (yep, you read right!)

Amazing how far we've come in 2 years!
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut
I am wondering if it is z68 chipset or just your particular board or just that model G board.
DO you have access to a friend's z68 build with an Asus MB?
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfire View Post
I am wondering if it is z68 chipset or just your particular board or just that model G board.
DO you have access to a friend's z68 build with an Asus MB?
I'm afraid not, although I will likely be building myself a similar system but with a higher end ASUS board.

Based on everything I have read though, I am not expecting it to work any better
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac
I have the same motherboard, I am using Sonar 8.5.3 and have seen the system go nuts like this. I talked repeatedly with Echo Tech support about a midi problem. While they have been very responsive, we cannot get their midi loop back test to work with the z68 board. Again, this problem is very random but I suspect that I may have other problems related to the Layla. Unfortunately, I love the Layla and do not want to replace it.
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear

Anyone have any info on what newer chipsets work with Echo PCI?
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear
For what its worth guys, I replaced my Layla3G with a Fireface UC and could never go back. Being able to use as many apps simultaneously with a combo of ASIO and Windows drivers is so great. All rock solid with my Z68 based system
Old 28th February 2012
Here for the gear

Sorry to bring this old thread out of the closet again, but i'm now in the position of upgrading my DAW and want to go to a Z68 platform using my Layla 3G PCI. Is there any updates from anyone as to whether this combination can/will/does work together? Appreciate any info at all!

Cheers.
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

I have a Layla 24 pci working with an Asus P8Z68-V LE
Old 28th February 2012
Here for the gear

OK, thanks JohnnyC. Does the Layla 24 have midi i/o ? Looks like there was some midi issues as well. If so is midi working OK for you too?? Thanks in advance.
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

It does have midi i/o but haven't really used it yet since I upgraded.
Old 19th March 2012
Here for the gear

I have very similar problem with Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3 motherboard.
Old 19th March 2012
Gear Maniac
Same problems with the same motherboard. Echo support had me loop the midi interface in the Layla and it would hang every time I ran their diagnostic program. Put the Layla into a older XP system and it worked perfectly. We went round and round to fix crackly and stopped playback. Nothing worked including a beta driver. After a month of this I finally just got a Steinberg MR16 firewire unit. Works fine mostly. Sad about the Echo as I had used a Gina 24 bit system and then the Layla and was very happy until a new computer and Win 7.
Old 20th March 2012
Gear Nut

Scott from ADK and some other folks have pointed out to me that there's no native PCI on Sandy Bridge and up motherboards on the intel side.

Your choices appear to be: get a pci to pcie riser card/adapter, wait for Echo to make a pcie card, get an AMD based system, or go with an intel based server board that still has native pci or ask for some kind of trade for an Echo firewire unit.
Old 20th March 2012
Lives for gear

Have been told by a pro DAW system builder to get the latest bios for the ASUS mobo, there is a PCI bridge that works OK, but it is not an optimum performing situation. It does work though......

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search