The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to be sure to continue working if Mac HD would crash Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 3rd September 2011
How to be sure to continue working if Mac HD would crash

Because I have a lot of software and plug ins that do not use iLok protection (Zebra, Omnisphere, BFD2, Komplete 7 to name a few). I want to be sure to be up and running in no time in case my Macintosh HD would crash. Of course this is not a question about associated content (data) but purely about assuring that I can continue using software with their proprietary protection schemes. I'm not sure if Time Machine does that trick and I make a regularly clone of my Macintosh HD with carbon copy cloner but also have no idea if that will work when restoring.

I'm curious what your stratgey would be to have little as possible hassle whenever the Macintosh HD would crash.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

I just started working from a Carbon Copy Clone of my three-year-old boot drive on my 8-core. I haven't tried every single plugin, but so far Logic9, redmatica, powercore, and UAD are all working fine from the clone. They seem to key off the unique identifier of the CPU and ignore changes in size, manufacturer, and serial number of the drive mechanism itself.
Old 3rd September 2011
Thanks for your response, sounds good. I understand that you restored to a larger disc than the one you used before?
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, I have used it to clone a Leopard bootdrive to other drives, some larger and some smaller than the original.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search