The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase: How do I disable snap point of audio region? It's really bad.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Cubase: How do I disable snap point of audio region? It's really bad.

Something really basic has been frustrating me for hours.

So I have an audio region and there is this snap point created (sometimes automatically). I want to edit with the grid switched on. How do I turn off cubase's creation of a snap point point in the sample. Can I turn it off in preferences. I never want to use a snap point in the audio region, ever. It's just annoying. My current workaround is shifting the start point point for each audio region. This is extremely inefficient use / waste of time, especially if you have to do it for lots of regions. Please can someone show me how to disable it (either for each audio file individually, or as an overall preference, as opposed to going into the sample editor for each and manually shifting the start time), as I can't find the answer in the manual or via a google search.

Would really appreciate any advice

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Cubase: How do I disable snap point of audio region? It's really bad.-1.jpg   Cubase: How do I disable snap point of audio region? It's really bad.-2.jpg   Cubase: How do I disable snap point of audio region? It's really bad.-3.jpg  
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
If I get what you're saying, you could just disable the snap to grid altogether at the top of the arrangement window. The '><' icon.

A better option is to record audio with enough space at the beginning to make your own snap point by shortening the audio file to the nearest one. Just drag the bottom left of the audio file till it meets the closest point.

The snap point created in your example would be logical considering where your audio file actually starts.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding.

(edit: After reading again, I see that I am misunderstanding)
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Open the file in the editor and adjust the snap point.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

It is annoying, but snap points are a necessary evil (think about cymbal rolls for example; it makes more sense to have the snap point at the point the cymbal has reached its crescendo than at the start of the file).

Anyway, easiest thing would be to create a macro that 'fixes' the snap point.
Something like:
-locate selection (puts cursor at start of region)
-set snap point (sets snap point to start)

Put that under a keypress, and all it takes next time you have a region with a wrong snap point in the arrange window, is pressing the key.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Addict

I seem to create them randomly, how are they created? I seem to create them by accident. And then I get upset. If I knew how they were created (shortcut key / snap setting) then i could avoid creating them altogether but the manual doesn't tell me how to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOY View Post
Open the file in the editor and adjust the snap point.
Becuase it's annoying / time consuming going into 20 different sample editors to adjust the start points of 20 different regions
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

they are created when you punch in the recording to late. The snap point represents the start of the audio file PLUS the latency compensation.

Like BlackLion said:

"A better option is to record audio with enough space at the beginning to make your own snap point by shortening the audio file to the nearest one. Just drag the bottom left of the audio file till it meets the closest point."

There is no reason for you not to start recording well before the actual punch in happens. You can't overwrite existing audio anyway.

I do agree that it is an annoying feature though!
If there is a way to turn the function off and always snap to the start of the audio event I would be interested as well
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks. What exactly do you mean by "punch in the recording too late"?
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

The snap point is created as a representation of the grid when the file is created off the grid's snap. ie. the grid is set to bar, you punched in before the down beat of the bar. Since the start of the file is not on the down beat, the snap point on the down beat allows the file to have a grid reference even thought the file was not created on that point. If you copy and paste the file, the file will snap to the down beat and will retain it's sync to the grid.
I have a hot key that allows me to place the snap at cursor when I want to change it.
What I don't understand is why the snap point is an issue. It's there to allow you to snap to the grid, if that's not what you want turn off the grid for the edit. If you need to nudge a track, turn off the grid, nudge turn on grid and set snap to cursor on the grid with the file's new postion.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I think I learned something new today

I just checked kellyd's response and it seems the snap point is indeed
placed at the bar or beat you set your quantize type to. I always asumed it had something to do with latency compensation.

I mostly record non-grid-based music so snap to grid is not relevant for me. When I use snap to event the audio events still snap to a (not existing) grid within the audio event. This annoys me so I always cut off the snap points. That is of course not possible when the space between the start of the audio event and the start of the actual audio is too small (audio starts before the snap point). Hence my advice to punch in the recording well before you actually want to record anything. That way you can always simply cut off the snap point.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search