The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic 7.2.1 will not Launch in Lion OSX 10.7
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Logic 7.2.1 will not Launch in Lion OSX 10.7

As most long time Logic users know we need to keep a copy of Logic 7.2.1 to open and convert old logic songs.

I updated my music mac to Lion 10.7.1 and tried to launch Logic 7.2.1 to convert an old song to the current format.

No luck, 7.2.1 gave an error message saying it wouldn't launch.

Are other people experiencing the same issue?

Does anyone have a work around to launch 7.2.1 under Lion?

Cheers,
Scott
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

why does this not surprise me....

perhaps Logic 10 will be able to open all old Logic projects without the need for legacy versions; or perhaps Apple has decided that you have had sufficient time to convert your old projects, and if you haven't done so by now, you probably didn't need them anyway
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Yes it is the "Apple Way" to ditch old tech which of course has its pluses and minuses.

I am in the process of adding a Snow Leopard partition that will get me by until I update my machine.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

You cannot run Logic v7 under Lion. Lion no longer has support for Rosetta, which was a framework for running older PPC (G3/G4/G5) applications on Intel machines. Logic v7 was originally released way back when the G4 Motorola chips were current. There have been many updates to both the OS and to Logic since then, so everyone's had plenty of time to load and convert old projects in order to run them on today's machines and the versions they require.

If you want to always be able to load pre-v7 Logic songs, and don't want to be bothered to convert a large library of old material, then just keep an old machine in as-was condition. That's what I do; I still have a G4 machine and a few G5 machines sitting in the back room, with all the old files and applications sitting exactly as they were the day I got the new ones. Set up new machine, copy files across, put old machine on shelf. Simple.

By the time I got my G5, the G4 was worth about $300. By the time I got my 8-core, the G5s were worth about $400 - now you can get one for $250, so it's not like selling the old one is ever a make-or-break proposition. If you need to keep a legacy machine around, it'll be cheaper than the RAM you'll put in the new one.

Check out usedmac.com to see how ridiculously cheap G5 machines are...
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

I remember reading recently that with emulation software (Parallels ?) it was possible to run a OSX version within the current OS. That seems the way to go to me if you can't install older Logic version under Lion.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Go figure. I sadly learned after many upgrades, to try and be patient and wait, before jumping on the bandwagon. It just ain't worth it. Read the blogs, get as much info as possible, feel secure and then go for it. Stupid thing is, that everytime I jumped in early my system was running beauty before I got the upgrade. Most often, after I downloaded or installed it all Hell broke loose. I'm a stubborn old coot!
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Or just throw an older OS and Logic v7 on a spare drive.... grab a 1tb drive for $99 and duplicate your current bootdrive with CarbonCopyCloner. I generally do that as well as keep the old machines around so that I have massive data redundacy; this makes it easy to go backwards if needed.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Just checked and yes it's Parallels 7 in which you can run a SnowLeopard session.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVi View Post
Just checked and yes it's Parallels 7 in which you can run a SnowLeopard session.
Novi,

Could you please send the link.

The advertising blurb says you can virtualize Lion client and the discussion in the link below says you can virtualize Snow Leopard server but not SL client. The restriction appears not to be technical but an Apple licence restriction that Parallels does not want to cross.

Snow Leopard as Guest on Lion - Parallels Forums

I would love to be able to virtualize SL Client on Lion Client.

Cheers,
Scott
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclouser View Post
You cannot run Logic v7 under Lion. Lion no longer has support for Rosetta, which was a framework for running older PPC (G3/G4/G5) applications on Intel machines.
This is not entirely true. Even though you may not be able to run Logic7 on Lion machines, Logic 7.2 was UB and runs natively on Intel machines without having to use rosetta. I am running Logic 7.2.3 perfectly good on a Snow Leopard machine.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkrk View Post
Novi,

Could you please send the link.

The advertising blurb says you can virtualize Lion client and the discussion in the link below says you can virtualize Snow Leopard server but not SL client. The restriction appears not to be technical but an Apple licence restriction that Parallels does not want to cross.

Snow Leopard as Guest on Lion - Parallels Forums

I would love to be able to virtualize SL Client on Lion Client.

Cheers,
Scott
Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac Allows You to Run Windows and Even Another Copy of Lion - MacRumors Forums
although it's advertised as a Lion solution you seem to be able to use it for SL too.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

I think the suggestion to just have a separate drive/partition with the older OS & App installed is the best way to keep legacy apps around. There are even ways to prep that partition to be an 'image' that will load into VMWare or Parallels if you're ready to blow a few hours over the weekend, so you don't have to reboot to get into the OS for quick conversions.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by benyah View Post
This is not entirely true. Even though you may not be able to run Logic7 on Lion machines, Logic 7.2 was UB and runs natively on Intel machines without having to use rosetta. I am running Logic 7.2.3 perfectly good on a Snow Leopard machine.
You're right... But what is causing the OP's problem then? Maybe he's in 64-bit kernel mode and this is the problem? Does Lion even have 32-bit kernel mode?

I still run 10.5.8 and haven't even made it into Snow Leopard yet - and won't until 64-bit ReWire and Ableton drop.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Head

Hey guys,
I don't get what you are talking about. Here , with logic 9, I can open logic 5 .lso's from the Swiftkick toolbox, no problems.
Cheers, Al.
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

There is a workaround - I've been using Logic 7.2.3 with only minor issues in Lion. Right click the app, choose "show package contents", then navigate to contents->Mac OS-> Logic Pro. Double-click Logic Pro - a terminal window will open, the AU validator may or may not make it through your plugins, but the app will, eventually, launch.

For convenience, just make an alias to the "Logic Pro" unix executable and put it somewhere useful. Credit goes to somebody on the Apple Discussion boards, on the day that Lion was released.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutefish View Post
There is a workaround - I've been using Logic 7.2.3 with only minor issues in Lion. Right click the app, choose "show package contents", then navigate to contents->Mac OS-> Logic Pro. Double-click Logic Pro - a terminal window will open, the AU validator may or may not make it through your plugins, but the app will, eventually, launch.

For convenience, just make an alias to the "Logic Pro" unix executable and put it somewhere useful. Credit goes to somebody on the Apple Discussion boards, on the day that Lion was released.
Thanks lutefish,

I can confirm that this workaround works with LP 7.2.1 on Lion 10.7.1.

To be specific I can now open, play and convert Logic V3,4,5 files.

Cheers,
Scott

PS As someone else has mentioned LP 7.2.1 is a universal binary, so it doesn't need Rosetta. I am guessing the reason it is probably prevented from launching is because it makes calls to carbon libraries and APIs. Apple has clearly stated that carbon is being 'depreciated' and won't be investing in carbon APIs and libraries.

At least I know it is legal to run Lion Client as a guest in Parallels so I will still have a path back to old logic songs from 1997.
Old 2nd November 2011
Gear Maniac

FYI

Logic Pro 7.2.1 will launch in the finder under OSX Lion 10.7.2

i.e. no need for the the work around

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search