The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording keyboard audio into macbook pro
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Recording keyboard audio into macbook pro

Quick question:

If I wanted to connect my synthesizer/keyboard into my macbook pro in order to record it into logic, could i theoretically do so by connecting the audio output of my keyboard into the 1/4" "line in" jack on my mbp?

If so, is this undesirable because the A/D converters on the built-in soundcard on my mbp are not very good? For better results one would want to first connect the audio output on his keyboard to a high-quality interface and then route the interface into logic via usb 2.0 or firewire (depending on the interface), right?
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Head

You'd really want to use Midi out and record the midi, then use that with whatever synth sound you want in Logic.

To record the analog sound to digital then you'd want an audio interface like a Focusrite, M-Audio, PreSonus, and others. (Some do midi-USB/firewire as a bonus.)
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply man, I've actually been using my keyboard to send midi into logic for a while now using a midi-usb cable, but now I'm trying to record the actual sound of the keyboard patches directly into logic so I can utilize all the sounds on the keyboard itself, as oppose to just using the synths in logic. Can I record the audio signal from the keyboard into the line in using a converter cable from the keyboard audio out into my mac line in? Obviously a good interface would send a much better signal but theoretically that would work right?

I'm thinking about upgrading to a good hardware synth and was wondering if the interface is actually necessary. And yes, if I bought a good synth I would buy a good interface, I'm asking this to make sure I understand the schematics correctly.

Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search