The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does anyone use Pinguin Audio Meters? Audio Interfaces
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

Require Help getting Pinguin Audio Meter to Work!

I’m interested to know how you're using this software, because unlike any other software i have come across; this will only work if there is an audio signal being picked up from a stereo INPUT on a soundcard.

When I acquired the DEMO I assumed this would work like a VST and pick up the real-time outgoing stereo signal, clearly I was wrong.

I’m using this with a Presonus firebox, I know on the Pinguin website it says the software has been tested with RME products, but why only RME? and does it work the way I first imagined it would with RME products? As in will it allow the stereo output to be digitally routed back to the Input for purposes like this?

The only other way I can see a use for it if this doesn’t work is to get a 2nd computer and send the stereo output from my main DAW to this Pinguin slave PC, but that sounds totally insane to have another computer on and wasting electric just to run this software, in that case I think I’d rather just use another program, as I’m sure most would but I know its popular so I must be missing something, right?

Can anyone help me make sense of this? - Because it does look great, and I’d be interested in buying if I knew how get it up and running correctly, so how do you guys use it?

-----

Btw – I previously got it to sort of work by connecting my 3/4 outputs on my firebox back in through line inputs 3/4 with patch cables, but it was giving incorrect readings and probably adding colour to the spectrum, not 100% sure what was happening but it was clearly not right.

Cheers!
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

Maybe this post isn't making much sense, because maybe it's just me that has a problem with this program, and for everyone else maybe it works instantly without any issues.

If anyone has the time to help me figure this out you can download the demo from pinguins website: http://www.masterpinguin.de/

All i need to know is when you install and run this software, does it instantly start working and picking up a signal? when you play music in iTunes or your music production software can it see the input from the audio in realtime without any issues?

if anyone says 'yes' then i know there is something that is not compatible with my soundcard and this headache will go away.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

I used to use it with a second PC, just plug a mult of the main console mix bus into a stereo line in. On a single PC, you can set it to monitor the line in on your built-in soundcard while your audio app uses the other soundcard. Just plug your stereo mix outs into the stereo line in of the built-in soundcard.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Just use it on an old pc, there are laptops on craigslist for $50 that will run it fine, and you can tack on an old audio interface to get things going without relying on crappy realtek/cmedia AC97/HDA chipsets.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
Just use it on an old pc, there are laptops on craigslist for $50 that will run it fine, and you can tack on an old audio interface to get things going without relying on crappy realtek/cmedia AC97/HDA chipsets.
Yes, you can do that and spend money on a PC and soundcard, or just use an old one that's collecting dust, and have your meters on a separate machine, like I said. Of course.

However, the OP could just use the computer he already has, for free, no hassle. This is just a metering program, a realtek soundcard (or an add-on soundcard) is absolutely fine. I have done it, it works great, is perfectly accurate, and convenient.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Realtek isn't really 'accurate', even my m-audio 410 is better (and I consider that to have some mild to moderate issues in the upper & lower bands when I use it for mobile use). And of course if someone has an old PC on hand...why buy another? Since I'm *adding* to what's already been said it's another alternative, no need for all that vitriol as I wasn't disagreeing with you.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Addict

I just re-read my post. No offense intended or implied, just information.

You weren't really agreeing by saying 'crappy' built in soundcards should be avoided, IMO, since my point was to go ahead and use his built in soundcard.

While I agree with you in spirit (built in soundcards might not be my first choice for client-level recording), Realtek and other built in soundcards are perfectly fine for this particular purpose. I'm speaking from first-hand experience, of course.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

I was agreeing and adding my 2 cents, but I understand that the tone of a thing doesn't always come across in text so no offense taken

My main gripes with any onboard sound chipset are twofold. First that you'll probably have to run PG-AM at 48khz since onboard chipsets (HDAudio spec) run at 96khz (or 48khz for AC97 spec chipsets). And second that they seem to be sensitive to what level they're being driven at when it comes to the self noise and overload points. When I use HD-audio chipsets on a lot of machines I find self noise around -55dBf or so and enough 'lumpiness' in the low end I cringe. Maybe this is just a combination of the PCIe devices, motherboards and PSU's I've tried, but even behringer's UCA202 seems to work better on both counts in my experience (barring a ground issue with other USB devices attached).
Old 5th September 2011
Whatever way you are using this, you will wamt to keep a full digital signal path out of the DAW into the Penguin. No AD DA, no SRC.
Crappy onboard audio interface clocks will mess with stereo image (due to increased jitter), which you probably intend to measure with Penguin as well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search