The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Using Superior Cymbals with Steven Slate Drums: Logic 9 Utility Software
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Using Superior Cymbals with Steven Slate Drums: Logic 9

I have both Superior Drummer 2, and Steven Slate Drums 3.5. I love the drums from Slate, and the cymbals from Superior. I would like to be able to play my VDrums and have them trigger the SD2 cymbals and the SSD drums in realtime. VDrum triggering of the hihats on SSD, quite frankly, sucks.

Currently I have a template set up in which SSD is a software instrument with several AUX tracks (i.e. Kick, Snare, Tom1, Room, Crash, Splash, etc.). I also have a track with SD2.0 loaded up, but it has no auxes since I only need one stereo track for the cymbals.

What I have tried to do with no luck is cable both the Crash and Splash auxes of SSD into the instance of Superior Drummer. I can't figure out why Logic won't send the Midi data from the Slate cymbals on to the Superior instance. Your assistance with this would be very appreciated!
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Well, figured this out for anyone who might be interested down the line:

I ended up settting up 3 different software instruments. One was Superior. Two was SSD. Three was EZPlayer Pro, a Toontrack MIDI product.

I used EZPlayer as the "main" drum track when recording. In other words, I had that track selected when I went to play my VDrums.

In the Logic Environment, I "cabled" EZPlayer to Slate. I then "cabled" Slate to Superior. This sent the MIDI data to both drum programs.

To stop the drums from playing in Superior, I went into Superior's "construct" window and removed everything but the cymbals.

To eliminate the cymbals from playing in Slate, I deleted all of them from the Kontakt player.

Result: Awesome Superior Cymbals, Awesome Slate drums!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search