The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PowerBook G4
Old 2nd September 2011
  #1
Gear Head
PowerBook G4

I have a PowerBook G4 that I would like to use for music production. I know it's an old computer, but shouldn't it be possible with old software? I also have a MacBook and iMac that I use a lot, but I'd like to use the PowerBook too, mainly for tracking.

ATM, it's running Leopard / Logic 9 but that's way too heavy. I was thinking about Mac OS Tiger & Logic 7 or Reaper.

Anyone with suggestions?
Old 2nd September 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
 
bigbongo's Avatar
 

I have a G4 Powerbook 12" 1GHz processor so very basic and slow by todays standards, latest OS it will run is Tiger.

It runs the relevant version of Logic but you can only playback a few tracks; say about 10 before it starts to choke.
Old 2nd September 2011
  #3
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbongo View Post
I have a G4 Powerbook 12" 1GHz processor so very basic and slow by todays standards, latest OS it will run is Tiger.

It runs the relevant version of Logic but you can only playback a few tracks; say about 10 before it starts to choke.
Then I've already been more succesfull: running Leopard & Logic Pro 9, I can get 5 to 10 tracks, and with freezing up to +/- 15.

I understand it's slow by todays standards, but I can't imagine that 8 years ago, people didn't have projects with more than 20 tracks.

Perhaps I'll try to ask the question more clearly: what software would someone put on their PowerBook, 8 years ago, in a production environment (studio).

I'm thinking about Tiger, since that's the OS that came with the PowerBooks back then. DAW: Logic 7, which was the first version that looks close to Logic 9 and that was probably used back then on PowerBooks with Tiger.

Other DAW options are Reaper 4: it's the latest version, supports PPC/Tiger and is extremely light, Ableton Live 4: minimum requirement are far below my PowerBook specs and it supports Tiger.

Any other ideas?
Old 2nd September 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 
loujudson's Avatar
Powerbooks won't die!

I have two 1.67GHz Pbooks, and they just keep working. I used a 15" for email and portable stuff, and the 17 for Ptotools and recording. It worked fine, with PT 7.4 and later 8.0.4 and 002 or MboxPro2. I never do more than 20 tracks, so they did fine for me.

But I just got a 2008 MBP (I like to stay behind the curve where things alway- work!) and use PT9 now. At some point you just have to retire or re-purpose the old planned obsolete hardware.
L
Old 2nd September 2011
  #5
Gear Head
ProTools 7.4 isn't an option, but nice to know it went fine. So I'll throw off Leopard one of these days, and start searching a 2ndhand copy of Logic 7 or just go with Reaper 4.

Upgrading has already been done. I got this PowerBook a few months ago, and I'd like to get the most out of it
Old 2nd September 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
I have two 1.67GHz Pbooks
Yeah, those Powerbooks are built like bricks. Mine won't quit, but I recently upgraded to a 2011 MBP, so it's now a dedicated remote for the drum/iso room.

Maybe not the greatest thing for multi-tracking (the fans will kick in), but very reliable and quiet for simple 2-track/remote recording.

EDIT: My comment about the fans kicking in for multi-tracking references 2004 Cubase SX2 software. Can't imagine trying to get anything done with it on more recent versions of any DAW software. The G4 was seriously underpowered for it's time, as Apple should've long updated the chip, but IBM/Motorola were never able to shrink the G5 for laptop use. I remember I really loathed having to buy a G4-powered laptop at the time (end of 2003) because the G4 was becoming obsolete.
Old 2nd September 2011
  #7
Tui
Gear Guru
 
Tui's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxVMH View Post

Perhaps I'll try to ask the question more clearly: what software would someone put on their PowerBook, 8 years ago, in a production environment (studio).
From memory, I would have had Logic 5 or 6 on my PB Ti G4 at the time. Back then, Logic wasn't anywhere near as graphic intensive as it is today.

Try to find an older version of Logic Express, that would run well enough on your machine. Tiger is the best OS for it, too.
Old 3rd September 2011
  #8
Gear Nut
 

I Just sold my 17" Powerbook 1,33Ghz to a friend, and he uses it for tracking on the road.

He can easily record 16 channels at a time on that thing, using Reaper. Mixing is done at home on his iMac though. For tracking it seems to be just fine, even though it's a 9 year old computer.
Old 5th September 2011
  #9
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
From memory, I would have had Logic 5 or 6 on my PB Ti G4 at the time. Back then, Logic wasn't anywhere near as graphic intensive as it is today.

Try to find an older version of Logic Express, that would run well enough on your machine. Tiger is the best OS for it, too.
Alright, something earlier than Logic 7 then
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanvl View Post
I Just sold my 17" Powerbook 1,33Ghz to a friend, and he uses it for tracking on the road.

He can easily record 16 channels at a time on that thing, using Reaper. Mixing is done at home on his iMac though. For tracking it seems to be just fine, even though it's a 9 year old computer.
Jonathan ... I bought your PowerBook :D Indeed, tracking is no problem, but mixing & using some virtual instruments would be nice.
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump