The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cheapest pro tools le system compatable with PT9 Audio Interfaces
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

Cheapest pro tools le system compatable with PT9

So I have a Pro Tools 9 crossgrade from LE but the problem is I have Pro Tools M powered. I'd like to upgrade to 9 seeing as I got this in exchange for recording some songs for a band. Whats the cheapest way I can get a full legal copy of PT LE that will be able to crossgrade up to 9? Full meaning with an ilok or a license that I can transfer to my ilok so there is no licensing issues. Used would be cheaper but will it work license wise? It says "Requires Pro Tools LE and one of the following Mbox(3rd gen), Mbox 2, 002, 003, or eleven rack". Thanks to anyone who can help me out. So far I've been to Guitar Center, just cuz they can talk to Avid for free, and Daddys Junky Music(local music store)
Old 2nd September 2011
WDM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedback182 View Post
So I have a Pro Tools 9 crossgrade from LE but the problem is I have Pro Tools M powered. I'd like to upgrade to 9 seeing as I got this in exchange for recording some songs for a band. Whats the cheapest way I can get a full legal copy of PT LE that will be able to crossgrade up to 9? Full meaning with an ilok or a license that I can transfer to my ilok so there is no licensing issues. Used would be cheaper but will it work license wise? It says "Requires Pro Tools LE and one of the following Mbox(3rd gen), Mbox 2, 002, 003, or eleven rack". Thanks to anyone who can help me out. So far I've been to Guitar Center, just cuz they can talk to Avid for free, and Daddys Junky Music(local music store)
The cheapest one from the PT8 LE line was mbox 2 micro. (around $250 MSRP).
You can still find it here: Amazon.com: Digidesign Mbox 2 Micro: Musical Instruments

You can contact Avid to verify if PT9 update is gonna work with mbox 2 micro.

You can buy also something "used" from EBay but you gonna need to follow a license transfer procedure from Avid.

The whole PT9 update schema is still fuzzy to me. At one side they are claiming that PT9 is the "only one" software package that will work with any Avid or non Avid hardware, but on the other side they have 2 separate updates: PT9 and PT9 HD. So, go figure ...
Old 2nd September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedback182 View Post
LE didn't need an ilok, it was just a serial number (since you needed the interface to make it work).

So...you need an LE interface that hasn't already been used to upgrade to PT9.

Mbox micro didn't qualify; cheapest interface was the Mbox mini. Good luck finding an un-upgraded one 2nd hand; your best bet is probably end of line at a music store.
Old 2nd September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM View Post
The whole PT9 update schema is still fuzzy to me. At one side they are claiming that PT9 is the "only one" software package that will work with any Avid or non Avid hardware, but on the other side they have 2 separate updates: PT9 and PT9 HD. So, go figure ...
It's simple.

It's actually the same installer. You install it on a computer with HD hardware installed and an HD license on the iLok, it'll run in HD mode.

Install it on a computer without HD hardware but WITH the HD licence on the iLok - it'll run natively, but you'll get all the HD features that don't depend on the hardware - this is equivalent to running the complete production toolkit. (this is possibly the only confusing bit). Any hardware, Avid or not.

Install it on a computer with the regular PT9 license - you get regular PT9. Again, any hardware.
Old 2nd September 2011
WDM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
It's simple.

It's actually the same installer. You install it on a computer with HD hardware installed and an HD license on the iLok, it'll run in HD mode.

Install it on a computer without HD hardware but WITH the HD licence on the iLok - it'll run natively, but you'll get all the HD features that don't depend on the hardware - this is equivalent to running the complete production toolkit. (this is possibly the only confusing bit). Any hardware, Avid or not.

Install it on a computer with the regular PT9 license - you get regular PT9. Again, any hardware.
in other words, if I need PT9 to use with HD hardware and all other I need to buy an PT9HD?
And if I'd buy just PT9, I won't be able to use it with HD hardware even if I have one?

But in this case it sounds like there are still two packages: PT9 (like PT8LE) and PT9HD (like PT8HD)? They just dropped "Only Avid Hardware" limitation for both?
Old 2nd September 2011
Quote:
in other words, if I need PT9 to use with HD hardware and all other I need to buy an PT9HD?
And if I'd buy just PT9, I won't be able to use it with HD hardware even if I have one?
If you own HD hardware you must already own some sort of PT iLok authorisation, in which case you just upgrade it to PT9HD.

No, regular PT9 iLok license will mean you can't use HD hardware. If you plug the iLok in and load PT on a rig with HD hardware installed, PT will boot but you'll only have the option of using Coreaudio devices. NOW...this might mean it will work like Logic and you can use you Avid interface, but only in coreaudio mode (no TDM plugins, 8in and out only). I don't know...never tried...it's a pretty unlikely scenario, given that everyone owning an HD rig should own an HD authorisation.

Quote:
But in this case it sounds like there are still two packages: PT9 (like PT8LE) and PT9HD (like PT8HD)? They just dropped "Only Avid Hardware" limitation for both?
There's 2 types of authorisation, just one installer. You still need HD cards and an HD compatible interface to run HD, they've just added the ability for your iLok to authorise PT on a non-HD system as well. It means you can take you iLok home with you and use it to run PT9 on your laptop as well as running your HD rig at your studio.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search