The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ASIO4ALL vs. EMU ASIO in Cubase 6 Audio Interfaces
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

ASIO4ALL vs. EMU ASIO in Cubase 6

So I want to be able to record multiple inputs simultaneously in Cubase 6. Here's my pc.

Windows7 64
12GB Ram
i7 Bloomfield CPU
E-MU 1616m

When I start a Cubase project and go to Device Setup and select EMU ASIO as my driver, I can then see all of the ASIO ins/outs that I can match to the corresponding Patchmix ins/outs. For some reason though I can not hear any audio when I set Cubase up through the EMU ASIO.

On the other hand if I use ASIO4ALL I can hear audio and everything seems to work just fine but ASIO4ALL only lets me select up to 2 inputs in Cubase.

Is there a way to setup ASIO4ALL to use more inputs so that I can match the host inputs in Cubase to the physical inputs of the 1616m? I want to be able to track guitar, synth, and vox at the same time.

Otherwise are there any tricks to getting the EMU ASIO to work in CUBASE 6 and lower the latency so it's not high like 300 ms?
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I just replaced my 1820 with an Echo A4 because of E-MU's crap drivers. You can use the ASIO I/Os, but you have to try each one to find the hot one, and--in my case--it won't be the same next time. Completely random.

AFAIK, ASIO4all won't do more than 2 ins. Something about being a WDM driver wrapped in a candy ASIO coating, or some such.
Old 30th January 2012
Gear Head

Seconding Old Goat,

have the 1616m, built my computer to be music specific, latency still ****.

the zero latency E-MU markets is only through the DSP.

When routing from DSP to program... thats another story and the ASIO drivers come into play.

try updating drivers to most recent on e-mu site. if no luck... time to sell and buy a new I/O.

Im keeping my fingers crossed cus the pres sound so F'ing good on this F'er.

tinkering away, if I find a solution to lowering latency in E-MU ASIO will post.
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

my elderly emu 1212m pci works fine on the current crop of drivers. WIn7 64bit, too.
Also worked fine on my previous winXP 64 and WInXP 32.

You do have to know how to use semi-pro and pro audio equipment properly and how to set it up properly.
FWIW Sound on Sound did a really good article on setting up and using patchmixDSP which is where most people go wrong, not setting up their session settings properly. Available on their site free.
Old 30th January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
my elderly emu 1212m pci works fine on the current crop of drivers. WIn7 64bit, too.
Also worked fine on my previous winXP 64 and WInXP 32.

You do have to know how to use semi-pro and pro audio equipment properly and how to set it up properly.
FWIW Sound on Sound did a really good article on setting up and using patchmixDSP which is where most people go wrong, not setting up their session settings properly. Available on their site free.
Ivansc, your probably right. I saw that article on soundonsound and at a glance realized Id have to take an afternoon off to read through it. Thanks for letting me know its valuable and worth my time to read. Understanding what The Patchmix actually controls has been a headache out of the box.

In regards to using DSP, I usually use the factory presets and get zero latency through DSP, but once in DAW cant get ASIO drivers below 92ms.

I was told by friends that the Patchmix wont help that scenario and the E-MU ASIO drivers are a seperate beast from DSP. Im getting zero latency through Patchmix, but once Im in Ableton and using ASIO, Im having major latency problems.

If I was to read that soundonsound Patchmix article will it answer my questions about lowering latency on my E-MU ASIO drivers themselves?
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

My only experience with Ableton Live was NOT a good one - got the LE version free with some bit of kit and dumped it very quickly. Just didnt suit my ingrained workflow habits.

But you should be able to adjust your ASIO buffer settings within Ableton, I just don't know how.

In Sonar and Reaper I was able to run reliably at 64 buffer, which is as near as dammit zero latency.

Take time to check out how Ableton adjusts ASIO buffer sizes and then gradually lower it till you start getting erratic recording/playback, then back it off a notch.

When you are through recording I would slap the buffers way up - I go to 1024 usually - just because this takes a huge load off your CPU, no matter how powerful it is.

P.S. ASIO4all is actually a wrapper that takes the normal windoze audio drivers and makes them pretend to be ASIO.

This does indeed work after a fashion but you might want to see if WASAPI is supported in Ableton, as that is pretty efficient and not a bodge like ASIO4all
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

In using the E-MU 1616m with any DAW software, you need to first configure PatchMix for all your I/O and ASIO needs before you launch Cubase. ASIO4ALL is not a true ASIO driver and is unlikely to every perform as well as the E-MU ASIO driver.

I use the E-MU 1616m with XP and Windows 7 on a regular basis for remote/location recording for several years with now with very little issues, with buffer sizes less usually than 10mS. Many variables determine how low you can set your buffer size. Many times users are either clueless or have unrealistic expectations as to if or how they may be able to obtain very low latency settings.

Keep in mind that there are both ASIO inputs and ASIO outputs which are separate things. You must have at least one pair of ASIO outputs configured in PatchMix for the DAW software. These are usually ASIO 1/2 or ASIO 31/32. Without these ASIO strips in PatchMix and /or without your DAW stereo mixer output being assigned to those ASIO channels, you audio will NOT be heard.

In PatchMix, select and load the "All Inputs" session for any sample rate into PatchMix. This will provide the DAW like Cubase all the ASIO inputs to select from and will provide one set of ASIO outputs for the DAW software mixer to use so that you can hear the audio being played through the DAW software.

Route within your DAW such as Cubase to use the ASIO outputs that are configured for use in PatchMix which is usually ASIO 31/32. Every physical input to the 1616M MicroDock in PatchMix has to also have an ASIO send in the PatchMix strip so that 1616M MicroDock inputs show up and are available inside your DAW.
Old 31st January 2012
Gear Maniac
92ms latency?

I run my 1616 pci normally at 5-7ms with cubase 5 and almost a two year old comp.
Old 31st January 2012
Gear Addict

7 ms latency here, on a dual core win xp machine, with 1820m.With VI's and effects. Audiograf is right.Additionally you can click in the Patchmix insert slots, and add a peakmeter to see visually the signal in both directions (I/O).Also in Cubase press F4 (VSTConnections) to see the connections between Cubase and the EMU. For latency adjustment go to: Devices - Device Setup - VST Audio System - Emu ASIO. Press Control Panel.
Old 31st January 2012
Lives for gear

Hamsan 415 - post your DAW and your computer spec on here, cpu and ram etc.

You are definitely doing something wrong if 92ms is the best you can get.

Is this the lowest figure you an drop to within the ASIO setup window of Patchmix, or is it the lowest setting you can use before the audio breaks up?

IF you are using the right window to adjust your ASIO settings, it should be a small rectangular box with just one little selection window.
When you drop this don try setting it to the lowest buffer size - should be 32 or 64.

If you get anything larger than 128 as your lowest I will be surprised, but even at 128 your latency should be way less than 92ms.

And of course WHERE your ASIO settings window is depends on what DAW software you are using.
Old 31st January 2012
Gear Maniac
^^This is correct, although the E-MU ASIO drivers reports buffers in milliseconds not as kb:s.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search